Tourism yes, work NO!: Big Oud turns back Chinese man at airport!

webfact

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, JamJar said:

In the past, my holiday would begin once I caught my flight. Now you can only relax once you emerge from the exit at the Thailand airport. Really a poor environment they have created.

Not really, now if you want to stay for a few month then you have to worry about the TM30 curse.

Did the landlord\hotel report me? Can i believe them if they say they did?(mine told me he did when he didn't), Is the local IO requires me to report again if i travel around? Can i trust the IO answer, maybe a different IO will say the opposite when i arrive ?

The unfortunate and amazing truth is that now you can only really relax when arriving back to your home country..

21 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

So anyone as a repeat come again traveling person who spent more than 15 days here prior is going to be looked at as working? OMG!

Only if they can prove they are tourists & not coming here to do some sort of business activity.

Obviously he's spent a lot f time here in the past and is becoming suspicious!

Not really, now if you want to stay for a few month then you have to worry about the TM30 curse.

Did the landlord\hotel report me? Can i believe them if they say they did?(mine told me he did when he didn't), Is the local IO requires me to report again if i travel around? Can i trust the IO answer, maybe a different IO will say the opposite when i arrive ?

The unfortunate and amazing truth is that now you can only really relax when arriving back to your home country..

Good grief. Do people really stress out about such minor inconveniences like a TM30?!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

9 hours ago, ukrules said:

I know people who come here every year for the winter, strict 90 day limit as they will no longer 'do a border run' so they can stay for 4 months over the entire winter back home......

I also know a family who have just done that came here for the winter months this time he put his villa up for sale and sold it how lucky was that? He says he's never coming back so that's 8 million plus on it's way to where ever, Not Thailand.

38 minutes ago, FredGallaher said:

Not for what I see. One is here legally the other not. Working requires a work permit and the correct visa. 

They might contribute to the Pattaya soi whatever economy or make money posing for yaga pictures. No requirements for money in the bank so they don't have any roots if things go south. They feel entitled so they can do as they please.

The same argument is used for those who stream across the  US southern boarder. Many countries in EC, UK and North America have much more strict immigration rules.  

When Mexicans etc start turning up with $240000 on them to show maybe they would be more  willing to let them enter. Lets  see Thai avg wage lets  call it 12k x 12 =144k Falang have to show 800k, American avg salary?  dunno lets  say $40000 so if Mexicans  just show  6 x that they can come and stay.

It must be at least 10000 Chinese working illegally here, Big Oud got a big job to do.

But I want to see pictures of him and 10 officers, I miss Big Joke already.

On 7/12/2019 at 11:09 PM, LongTang said:

The dangerous roads, horrible side walks, polluted air, filthy beaches, uncontrolled diseased mosquitoes, should i go on...

I take it you've left Thailand never to return given what a cesspool it is then?

On 7/13/2019 at 12:24 AM, StayinThailand2much said:

40,000 baht from a short-holiday tourist 

Popped across for a few short trips but who goes for two days on holiday? ????

On 7/13/2019 at 2:54 AM, LongTang said:

55555 You cracked me up with that one. Tourists likely don't know about, or even if they did wouldn't care about a TM30 as it doesn't really affect them.

On 7/12/2019 at 10:45 AM, DonDoRondo said:

Wonder when they'll begin going after the " digital nomads ".  

That would be stupid, since DMs actually bring money into the country.

So I guess the answer is 'any day now'.

5 hours ago, FredGallaher said:

I'd like to add that DNs do not make money in Thailand and they don't exchange any money for service here. That would be considered work. I suspect that some use offshore banking and pay no taxes in Thailand or elsewhere. It seems like a con to me.

Rubbish, everyone being here over 180 days a year is a tax resident.

Same rules apply to them as to thais and other expats.

Just because you can't comprehend something doesn't make it a con.

How many taxes do pensioners pay here? Oh yeah right...must be a con.

Far too long for the purposes of tourism that should be just 15 days. 

Quite a lot of people have to sit on a plane for many hours and pay relatively good money for a ticket. 

But it shouldn't be over 15 days staying here? My apologies, but that doesn't make much sense. 

On 7/13/2019 at 10:01 PM, Salerno said:

Popped across for a few short trips but who goes for two days on holiday? ????

55555 You cracked me up with that one. Tourists likely don't know about, or even if they did wouldn't care about a TM30 as it doesn't really affect them.

555555, I guess the glasses on the Smiley face are your Blindman glasses !

Of course they will know, Its an interconnected world and bad news as you know, travel in above the speed of light.

Who then in his right mind will want to invest his time and money in a place that he knows in advance will treat him like a dirty criminal in the moment he will show any emotional long term attachment to the place??

Keep wearing those blindman's glasses, they fit you well.

On 7/14/2019 at 7:55 AM, FredGallaher said:

Really. That's hard to believe.

Is it DM or DN. I thought DN were in the same league as Backpackers staying in flophouses. The ones that I run across are looking for funds to support Cambodian orphans while riding their bikes cross country. It reminds me of people sitting at street-corners in US with signs "will work for food".Some appear overfeed. 

LoL, I'm a DN in Thailand.  Rent a nice house and car, eat out at restaurants, do volunteer teaching in my local community...

But working as a DN and doing voluntary work in my community are both illegal in Thailand.  I've almost completed my move across to live in Laos, where I can work online without any problems with my Lao business visa and WP, and I am welcomed with open arms to do my voluntary work.

2 minutes ago, DonDoRondo said:

So you would care to elaborate on how DM's are pouring in money?

Are you serious???

Like every other foreigner too, they bring their money into Thailand like a pensioner, like an investor, like a tourist, like everyone else???

Could you elaborate how pensioners are pouring in money here???

On 7/12/2019 at 3:01 PM, PingRoundTheWorld said:

Where do you come up with this stuff?? The typical long-stayer (digital nomad or just has money) on tourist visas is under 50's and more active (read: spending) than retirees. Everyone I know in this situation is renting a nice condo, spends a lot of money in restaurants and bars and clubs, and generally spends much more than your average retiree and Non-B/WP folks.

Strange.. I am on many of the nomad groups and forums for Thailand and asia.. I seem to constantly see requests for sub 5k a month rooms, anyone selling a rice cooker for 200b etc etc.. This is not the mark of the high roller !! 

6 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

Working as a nomad is illegal.. its just not enforced often.. 'The government' should thank them for breaking the law ?? 

Continually pretending the law isnt crystal clear justy makes those nomads doing it look dumber.. 

https://duensingkippen.com/thailandbusinesslawblog/?p=266

A. The following non-Thais can carry out certain activities in Thailand without a work permit:

(1) a non-Thai who comes to Thailand on a short-term periodic basis to: hold or to attend a meeting, lecture, seminar, training, exhibition of art or culture, or sports competition; provide an opinion; inspect work of others; or, any other activities, as prescribed by the Council of Ministers.

(2) a non-Thai who enters into Thailand to: operate a business; make an investment; or who has knowledge, ability, or skills that are considered beneficial to the development of the country;

(3) a non-Thai legal representative (e.g. director) of an alien juristic person that is licensed to operate business under the Foreign Business Act (1999);

What's so clear there? The only thing clear is that some are definitively exempted to have a work permit by law for certain activities mentioned.

Short term: Attend meetings, lecture, seminar, trainings, exhibitions, sports, inspect work and other

and how about: a non-Thai who enters into Thailand to: operate a business; make an investment; or who has knowledge, ability, or skills that are considered beneficial to the development of the country;

And for everyone with a work permit there have been also siginificant changes, no longer linked to an existing job as long as it's not forbidden work - the list of forbidden professions also get revised, work such as architecture and egineering is no longer forbidden for foreigners.

As a consequence, any foreigner who has a work permit in Thailand may now, work anywhere, for anyone, and do any type work, that is not excluded by the Official List.

This is per ROYAL DECREE issued by HM. 

20 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

Working as a nomad is illegal.. its just not enforced often.. 'The government' should thank them for breaking the law ?? 

Continually pretending the law isnt crystal clear justy makes those nomads doing it look dumber.. 

What looks really dumb is ignoring the fact that laws are not an entity of their own But come to serve the public in a positive way.

The fact that these laws are not often enforced is , that Unlike you, there are still some sensible people at the higher places (for now).

Firstly, lets dispel the myth that 'no one has been arrested and charged' with working online shall we ??

www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/incidents/aussie-teacher-details-horrific-conditions-inside-thai-detention/news-story/d432a704bf0db1def6d79489ae1b830c?

"he was teaching English to Chinese students online through an Australian company, and said he was told this was fine because no money was exchanged through Thailand"

Online teacher, no Thai clients, arrested, charged and deported. How is that possible if its not illegal as many claim ?? 

So then lets consider what the labour department and employment officers say on the subject NOT immigration, who are not the enforcers of this issue. 
https://thethaiger.com/issues-answers/asked/do-i-need-a-business-visa-to-work-online  

Is earning money through online advertising, website affiliate marketing or operating a business that has only an online presence whilst staying in Thailand considered working? Would that person be required to have a “business visa”?

Ting Tong Farang, Phuket Town

Any foreigners working or starting a business in Thailand, online or off, need to first get a proper visa.

They can apply for a Non-Immigrant B visa at a Royal Thai Embassy in their home country.

Once they get it they can come to Thailand and apply for a work permit with the Department of Employment.

If we find out that a foreigner is doing business online without a work permit, we will arrest them and take legal action through the court.

Pol Col Panuwat Ruamrak, Superintendent of Phuket Immigration

Doing business online is considered a type of work, so foreigners are required to have a work permit to do so.

The first thing to do is get the proper business visa. Foreigners with any other type of visa generally cannot apply for a work permit.

An exception to that rule is made for foreigners legally married to Thai citizens.

For more information on the visas and documents required to apply for a work permit, we advise foreigners to contact us or the Department of Employment in the area they live.

We need detailed information from the foreigner before advising on further action.

Please call Phuket Department of Employment at 076-219660-1 ext 13 for further information.

Somkiat Baiadul, an officer at the work permit division of the Phuket Department of Employment

https://thethaiger.com/issues-answers/asked/is-uploading-videos-to-youtube-considered-work  

Is uploading videos to YouTube considered work?

I have a YouTube channel showing a video diary of my travels around Thailand – promoting the country and activities here.

I am trying to understand what laws I need to be aware of in relation to my current and past activities. Is uploading videos to YouTube considered work? Does it matter if I have YouTube ads turned on or off?

I have many other videos on my channel, which I made 100 per cent outside Thailand – before my arrival. If I have ads turned on and am being paid for these past activities while I am in the Kingdom, is this considered work?

Concerned vlogger, Thailand.

No, it isn’t, as long as the uploading is for fun or to share on social media networks publicly for free. However, if you turn on YouTube ads while living in Thailand, or post them in your own blog where they can collect revenue, this could be considered work. Even if you posted videos while outside Thailand, but then activated or turned on ads related to them, this would still be considered work, as you would be making money while in the country. It means you are working while you are living in the Kingdom. However, if you activated the ads before entering the country, but still received revenue once entering the country for your holiday, then this would not be considered as working while staying in Thailand.

Yaowapa Pibulpol, chief of Phuket Provincial Employment Office (PPEO).

https://thethaiger.com/issues-answers/asked/internet-working

I am a commodity trader and use the Internet for my work. My financial dealings are conducted in Australia. I am thinking of coming to Thailand to stay for short time – about three months. My question is, can I still do my trading via the Internet in Thailand without breaking any laws? Theoretically, I shan’t be working in Thailand.

Travelling Trader, Perth, Western Australia

To do any work in Thailand you must either set up a company or partnership and apply for a work prmit, or find someone willing to employ you and to apply for a work permit for you. Otherwise you will be working illegally. We suggest that you do not work during your three-month stay in Phuket.

Phuket Provincial Employment Services Office

How much clearer does it need to be ?? 

3 minutes ago, LongTang said:

What looks really dumb is ignoring the fact that laws are not an entity of their own But come to serve the public in a positive way.

The fact that these laws are not often enforced is , that Unlike you, there are still some sensible people at the higher places (for now).

Simply not agreeing with a law, does not give you the right to not comply with the law. 

Travelling to another (poor) country, knowing that what you wish to do is illegal, and doing it anyway because the authorities dont have the resources and cannot afford the bad press of enforcing those laws, is hardly some moral high ground. The great white bwana should be allowed to go where he likes, and do what he wishes, and the peasants should respect that ?? 

7 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

Simply not agreeing with a law, does not give you the right to not comply with the law. 

Travelling to another (poor) country, knowing that what you wish to do is illegal, and doing it anyway because the authorities dont have the resources and cannot afford the bad press of enforcing those laws, is hardly some moral high ground. The great white bwana should be allowed to go where he likes, and do what he wishes, and the peasants should respect that ?? 

Your posts are 10 years old, the new law is from 2018. Issued as an Emergency decree by HM.

Why do you cite random over 10 year old posts from non lawyers when there is an ACTUAL LAW that says otherwise.

https://thethaiger.com/issues-answers/asked/internet-working from 2001 LOL (18 years AGO).

https://thethaiger.com/issues-answers/asked/is-uploading-videos-to-youtube-considered-work Of course THIS IS WORK, THEY MAKE VIDEOS FROM THAILAND, HOW CAN THIS BE CONSIDERED OFFSHORE WORK?!?!?!?!

https://thethaiger.com/issues-answers/asked/do-i-need-a-business-visa-to-work-online From 2010 contrary TO CHIANG MAI IMMIGRATION CHIEF SAID OTHERWISE IN 2014: https://asiancorrespondent.com/2014/10/thailand-immigration-officials-raid-chiang-mai-co-working-space/

Foreigners working for a Thai firm must hold a valid non-immigrant (Type B) visa, but so-called ‘digital nomads’ – who are often self-employed – can sidestep that requirement.

Chiang Mai Immigration Superintendent Pol. Col. Rutphong Sanwanangkun assured business leaders and foreign consular officials last month that ‘digital nomads’ are permitted to use tourists visas.

These 166 Chinese professional stock traders have been set free for not breaching the labour laws, only the shady thai hotel got fined for not doing tm30 reports. 

Some, not ALL digital types of work and also certain other work is definately OK as clarified in the ROYAL DECREE from 2018, everyone who says otherwise is lying.

20 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

You put so much fluff and ignore every reasonable thing that your being told.. interesting..

1- Laws that are outdated and are not inline with new realities are bound to be ignored, the DN reality is a new one, a reality that the lawmakers are still not sure how to handle.

2- the authorities here have over abundance of resources to tackle this problem(they can even afford submarines!), But they still have more sense then you, so they enforce it in a very selective way.

3- The so called "peasants" are the main beneficiary of that you hypocritical government bot.

Its interesting how you lot operate, You deliberately ignore all the middle posts in the thread that proves you wrong, and then puke all your propaganda in what you hope to be the last posts, as people usually just read the start and the end of large threads...

Archived