single vs multiple reentry permit

Next year I am going to be needing 3 re-entry permits so do I have to fill out 3 separate application forms for 3 single re-entry permits? If so. can I submit all 3 at once while I am doing my annual renewal for my retirement extension or do I have to do them separately each time I am planning on leaving Thailand?. If it is a hassle it will be worth my while to jut pay 3800 baht for a multiple reentry permit when I go for my annual renewal of my retirement extension.

In addition, don't forget that a re-entry permit of either the single or multiple variety takes up half a passport page. Might be a material consideration in your case if you're running out of spare pages in your passport.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mikebell said:

Also don't forget (I did) the multiple re-entry permit expires with your long term 'visa.'  Paid my money & forgot my retirement visa finished a month later.

I always do the multi re-entry permit right on the day I become my extension. Even I only go out only 1 time it's worth for me, as I not have to think again for it. Because when you leave without a valid re-entry then you lose your extension, which would be more of a problem. Of course if you only leave 1-2 times a Single would be better, but I am a lazy person.

• Like 2

You can’t buy three SE RE-Entry Permits at the same time. IMO the extra 800 baht is worth it as it saves time/hassle applying for individual permits, but mostly because it saves a lot of space in your passport.

• Like 2

I would also add - be sure to check that what they give you says "multiple". And save the receipt.

Had an problem in my  household recently because despite paying for a multiple entry permit a single one was issued, no one thought to check and this was discioered only when the person tried to make a second entry on it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HampiK said:

I always do the multi re-entry permit right on the day I become my extension. Even I only go out only 1 time it's worth for me, as I not have to think again for it. Because when you leave without a valid re-entry then you lose your extension, which would be more of a problem. Of course if you only leave 1-2 times a Single would be better, but I am a lazy person.

Same as me - a multiple re-entry permit when I renew my retirement visa extension - it saves a lot of hassle and for me is essential as I visit neighboring countries at least 10 times per year.

9 hours ago, OJAS said:

In addition, don't forget that a re-entry permit of either the single or multiple variety takes up half a passport page. Might be a material consideration in your case if you're running out of spare pages in your passport.

Good point. In fact, with adequate begging, it is possible to make them fit both the extension and the re-entry into one pp page.

30 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

How long is a multiple reentry good for?

it is valid to the date the permit to stay it was issued for ends. Same for a single re-entry permit unless it is used.

For example if issued for a one year extension of stay it would expire on the same day the extension ends.

12 hours ago, mikebell said:

Also don't forget (I did) the multiple re-entry permit expires with your long term 'visa.'  Paid my money & forgot my retirement visa finished a month later.

It expires when your current permission or extension of stay expires. Nothing to do with the expiration of a visa.

Edited by Suradit69

9 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

It expires when your current permission or extension of stay expires. Nothing to do with the expiration of a visa.

Hence the reason I put 'visa' in inverted commas.  Pedants rule.

19 hours ago, HampiK said:

Of course if you only leave 1-2 times a Single would be better, but I am a lazy person.

Not just lazy, affluent! ???? I would rather not waste the extra 2800 baht if am unlikely to need it!

1 hour ago, mikebell said:

Hence the reason I put 'visa' in inverted commas.  Pedants rule.

It isn't a question of pedantry. Putting quotes around it may or may not suggest you don't really mean a visa, but it doesn't explain what you do mean.

There's also no explanation about what "long term" is meant to imply. You don't need to have a long term permission or extension to get a re-entry permit. Even someone on a 60 day permission who wants to do several visits to nearby  countries could get  a re-entry permit. Notice I put "long term " in quotes because that's literally what you wrote.

So someone seeking information about re-entry permits reading your post would assume it had something to with visa expiration dates, which it doesn't, and only applies  to people here on a long term stay, which it doesn't even if you can guess what " long term" means ( there's those "inverted commas" again.)

Rather than write something you don't mean and let people guess what you do mean, why not write what is correct in the first place?

if you wrote the expiration date for the re-entry permit corresponded to the expiration date of your "drivers license,"  or 3 + 7 = "13", you couldn't realistically say using inverted commas exempts you from writing something clearly false.

Have a "nice day."

1 hour ago, mikebell said:

Suradit - 'Paid my money & forgot my retirement visa' - this suggests I was writing about a retirement 'visa.'

Which as far as I am concerned requires quarterly trips to a Royal Thai embassy or consulate in an adjoining country for fresh real genuine McCoy single-entry visas of the non-O variety. Or a trip back to your home country every couple of years or so for an equally real genuine McCoy visa of the non-OA variety.

22 hours ago, OJAS said:

Which as far as I am concerned requires quarterly trips to a Royal Thai embassy or consulate in an adjoining country for fresh real genuine McCoy single-entry visas of the non-O variety. Or a trip back to your home country every couple of years or so for an equally real genuine McCoy visa of the non-OA variety.

Or the deliberate pedantic refusal to ignore what some one means to say. 

We get this discussion every few months; everyone knows retirement 'visa' is shorthand for extension of stay.  Only pedants refuse to accept the meaning behind the words.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Only pedants refuse to accept the meaning behind the words.

And possibly want to determine whether someone means an Extension, or really do mean a Visa. The answer will vary a lot. 

I like to call my  cat 'dog'.... it doesn't matter to the cat, but confuses other people, and makes me look daft.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

On 7/18/2019 at 8:24 AM, mikebell said:

Only pedants refuse to accept the meaning behind the words.

On 7/18/2019 at 8:28 AM, jacko45k said:

And possibly want to determine whether someone means an Extension, or really do mean a Visa. The answer will vary a lot. 

I like to call my  cat 'dog'.... it doesn't matter to the cat, but confuses other people, and makes me look daft.

And I personally like to refer to an apple as an orange - and am in considerable difficulty in understanding why so many people refuse to accept the meaning behind my words!

• Haha 1