Retiring in Malaysia. Better than Thailand?

Shoban

I lived in Malaysia for more than three years before moving to Bangkok. My experience can be different because I lived there to work, but below is my own (hopefully objective) opinion:

• KL in general is cleaner and better developed than BKK, due to most of its buildings are newly built comparing to BKK which is a very old and huge city with ~10Mil people living while KL has only 1.5Mil. KL is a better place to raise a family and have a quiet life comparing to the buzzing and crazy BKK streets.
  • However, KL and Malaysia in general has a less quality of life for the price you are paying. Means, you may live in a condo which is built just a few years ago. However, you already see the cracks on walls and bad odors coming from sewage system due to the horrible management. Security and reception desks are mainly hired from foreign workers so you'll have a hard time dealing with such people with bad English and not-so-kind behavior. Personally, for about the same rent price I have a much better quality in BKK than I used to in KL.
  • People keep praising food in Malaysia which personally I couldn't find anything tasty about it (except Indian). Comparing to Thai cuisine which is much more varied, healthier and tastier. Even Western restaurants and fast food in KL is sub-par comparing to BKK's (This is a testimony from a Chinese-Malaysian friend who moved to BKK last month).
  • KL is not safe: You hear many stories about robberies and motorcyclists snatch women's purses all the time EVEN inside the condos. I once was about to have my phone snatched from my hand by one who tried to pull it. Since then, I never used my phone while standing on pavements. You may say we read many robbery and theft stores here happening in Thailand. I agree but taking into account the number of tourists and locations where such happen in Thailand. It's a small fraction comparing to KL. I felt more safe living in BKK than KL. Even my Malaysian ex who visited BKK last year was surprised how ATM machines are installed outside banks and 7-11 stores because those machines would be pulled out by a 4-wheel truck at midnight if it was KL.
  • Visa process in Malaysia is a pain in the ass. Even though I lived in Malaysia for 3 years, every time I needed to renew my visa it takes even more time than the one before. My last renewal took 45 days, and if your visa is 1-year visa, you practically use it for 10 months before starting the visa marathon. I know this does not apply to the retirement visa, but I don't think it's that simple. Visas in Thailand can be the same but if you find the right agent, they'll fix it for you.
  • Lastly, the people: Yes, they speak good English and they're more educated and polite, but the problem is, they're very introvert and don't interact much with expats. Dating? Over 50% of population are Muslims so you can't have luck with them. The rest are Indians who can't date because of traditions which leaves you with Chinese who make about 20-23% who are also less open to dating expats unlike Thai who are far more open. (Unless you are into sugar daddy/baby thing which starts getting viral since I left).

I won't go through the bad economy which can be for your advantage since Ringgit is going low and the politics and racism that you can smell it from miles away between the different ethnics.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Boring as hell and Islam as state religion. No thanks. Not that I have anything against Muslims but the state should never be involved in those things.
Also the tensions and separation between the big three population groups Malay, Indian and Chinese turned me off.

On 7/19/2019 at 11:23 AM, madmen said:

20 million Muslims still practicing sharia law... You better learn to say allahu ahkbar!!

Enjoy

I worked 9 years in the holy land.. salam aliekum.. run!

I went once and stayed for a week and found the people in Penang very polite and honest and the food was amazing . I am considering that if living as an expat in Thailand (13years) it becomes more difficult then Malaysia would be another option .

I went once and stayed for a week and found the people in Penang very polite and honest and the food was amazing . I am considering that if living as an expat in Thailand (13years) it becomes more difficult then Malaysia would be another option .
Agree that Penang is nice and the food is great.
However, that is not your typical Malaysia because of the predominantly Chinese population and all those things attached.

15 minutes ago, CLW said:

Agree that Penang is nice and the food is great. However, that is not your typical Malaysia because of the predominantly Chinese population and all those things attached.

Doesn't that simply underline that you should choose well? It's a bit like saying "I'm going to enjoy retiring to Hua Hin because I enjoy Pattaya so much". It also depends on the individual's circumstances. Married? Want to marry? Want to "play the field"? Gay? I can assure you as a gay man that my KL experiences are vastly different than the poster who set out all the reasons he wouldn't consider KL

If I had my Chance again.

I would choose Malaysia instead of Thailand.

I found most Muslims friendly and polite.

In fact most most people were friendly.

To my way of thinking the food is better.

Most things there are better.

Goodluck.

1 hour ago, limbojunkie said:

I lived in Malaysia for more than three years before moving to Bangkok. My experience can be different because I lived there to work, but below is my own (hopefully objective) opinion:

• KL in general is cleaner and better developed than BKK, due to most of its buildings are newly built comparing to BKK which is a very old and huge city with ~10Mil people living while KL has only 1.5Mil. KL is a better place to raise a family and have a quiet life comparing to the buzzing and crazy BKK streets.
  • However, KL and Malaysia in general has a less quality of life for the price you are paying. Means, you may live in a condo which is built just a few years ago. However, you already see the cracks on walls and bad odors coming from sewage system due to the horrible management. Security and reception desks are mainly hired from foreign workers so you'll have a hard time dealing with such people with bad English and not-so-kind behavior. Personally, for about the same rent price I have a much better quality in BKK than I used to in KL.
  • People keep praising food in Malaysia which personally I couldn't find anything tasty about it (except Indian). Comparing to Thai cuisine which is much more varied, healthier and tastier. Even Western restaurants and fast food in KL is sub-par comparing to BKK's (This is a testimony from a Chinese-Malaysian friend who moved to BKK last month).
  • KL is not safe: You hear many stories about robberies and motorcyclists snatch women's purses all the time EVEN inside the condos. I once was about to have my phone snatched from my hand by one who tried to pull it. Since then, I never used my phone while standing on pavements. You may say we read many robbery and theft stores here happening in Thailand. I agree but taking into account the number of tourists and locations where such happen in Thailand. It's a small fraction comparing to KL. I felt more safe living in BKK than KL. Even my Malaysian ex who visited BKK last year was surprised how ATM machines are installed outside banks and 7-11 stores because those machines would be pulled out by a 4-wheel truck at midnight if it was KL.
  • Visa process in Malaysia is a pain in the ass. Even though I lived in Malaysia for 3 years, every time I needed to renew my visa it takes even more time than the one before. My last renewal took 45 days, and if your visa is 1-year visa, you practically use it for 10 months before starting the visa marathon. I know this does not apply to the retirement visa, but I don't think it's that simple. Visas in Thailand can be the same but if you find the right agent, they'll fix it for you.
  • Lastly, the people: Yes, they speak good English and they're more educated and polite, but the problem is, they're very introvert and don't interact much with expats. Dating? Over 50% of population are Muslims so you can't have luck with them. The rest are Indians who can't date because of traditions which leaves you with Chinese who make about 20-23% who are also less open to dating expats unlike Thai who are far more open. (Unless you are into sugar daddy/baby thing which starts getting viral since I left).

I won't go through the bad economy which can be for your advantage since Ringgit is going low and the politics and racism that you can smell it from miles away between the different ethnics.

I agree with most of your post except the dating. Many muslim and chinese girls date western men. But the chinese girls expect to have a much higher living standard so are more expensive for the upkeep.

3 hours ago, Old Croc said:

For people who don't consider a large capital city to be the best retirement destination, where, apart from Penang, would there be a reasonable sized town with amenities, beaches, and freedom of thought?

I guess I'm wondering about the east coast, which apparently has beaches and islands, but perhaps is backwards and conservative.

Is there any westerner friendly communities there?

Kota Kinabalu in Sabah is for you. Maybe Langkawi which is duty free.

Tioman island on the east coast.

Only the northern states like kelantan and terrenganu are backwards but you will not be subject to sharia law anyway.

All places is western friendly, no one will bother you.

2 hours ago, ballpoint said:

Malaysia is at least as, if not more, corrupt than Thailand, and foreigners are far more likely to be targeted by criminals - usually snatching of bags, jewellery, phones, etc, but also occasional violent muggings.  Add the ever simmering racial tension, which will kick off in a big way one day, and it's a good place to avoid making any long term plans for.

My good friends brother went to jail for a 1 day overstay.

He went to police station to extend his visa, they told him no need to as it's already 4 pm and he can just come back tomorrow. Naive enough, he did that.

The next day they waited for him, handcuffed him and put him in jail - he had to bribe him free, this "service" was handled by some african dude.

Thailand is not that bad after all i realized...

The m2h visa they also crippled, in the past you were allowed to invest the m2h visa money into real estate, that's no longer the case afaik

I have lived in the 3 countries, Malaysia, Indonesia & Thailand.

I do prefer it here in Thailand to live.

In everyday life Malaysia being a Muslim State once the present Mr M passes on will become more so as he is desperately trying to keep a balance.

In Indonesia I never feel the influence so much & is not a Muslim state although Aceh is a 

place to be avoided.

Bangkok & upcountry will do me

I would not settle for retirement in a muslim country, however Malaysia seem to be fine for visits.

I've enjoyed my short stays there a couple of times, but must honestly admit that I missed my breakfast bacon – walked twice up-and-down the extensive delicious looking breakfast buffet at Legoland Hotel with eggs and toasts on the plate, looking for the bacon, before I recalled where I actually was; had to settle with chicken sausages, while my little daughter laughed...:whistling:

Singapore later was like Heaven...????

2 hours ago, natway09 said:

I have lived in the 3 countries, Malaysia, Indonesia & Thailand.

I do prefer it here in Thailand to live.

In everyday life Malaysia being a Muslim State once the present Mr M passes on will become more so as he is desperately trying to keep a balance.

In Indonesia I never feel the influence so much & is not a Muslim state although Aceh is a 

place to be avoided.

Bangkok & upcountry will do me

Move to Penang and you will have bacon. 

On 7/19/2019 at 6:06 AM, Mavideol said:

you are just promoting the country, maybe working for MTA the direct competitor to TAT

Malaysia is Islamic with a small i.

And I speak as someone who worked for 3 years in Saudi

8 hours ago, Mansinthe said:

I went once in the middle of Penang in a super legit looking massage place cause i wanted to try that cupping thing..

Lets say they have thai ladys there that offer everything you expect to find in Thailands red light district ???? 

Despite all the no alcohol, muslim prayers halal stuff around there.

no alcohol since when - I drank beer or wine at every place I ate.

7 hours ago, Guderian said:

Not in your face like like it is in Thailand perhaps, but I can assure you that it's there. If you have such a problem with it, why ever did you move to Thailand? It's not like they used to hide it away. 

I've been to Malaysia numerous times and have always enjoyed it, though quite a bit of my time has been spent in Sarawak and Sabah which have very little Muslim influence. I love those two places, particularly Sabah, the people are very friendly. Peninsular Malaysia is more of a melting pot and not all of it is exactly friendly or inviting to infidels. I'm sure there are some great spots to retire, though, but it's going to be more expensive, more orderly and more rulebound than Thailand once was. That will attract some folks, fair enough, but it's quite possible, the way things are going here, that Thailand will end up more expensive and authoritarian than Malaysia. If you enjoy a bit of chaos and freedom then there are better destinations in SEA, though how long they'll last is a moot point.

Who said I had a problem with it  - just don't like children being used a as sex slaves.Anyway when I arrived in Thailand 35 years ago - everybody behaved themselves a lot better and the sex trade for foreigners was nothing like it is now -  Pattaya was really small in those days and I lived near Jomtien beach which was empty except for two really great places, the Sugar hut, and the Copacabana. you could see the town way down the beach which was totally unspoilt for miles, and then it just got busier and busier and I moved away -thank god - i had to return five years ago and it had turned into the shit hole it now is !

no alcohol since when - I drank beer or wine at every place I ate.
Second that. Also the convenience stores in Malaysia have alcohol for sale unlike Indonesia or India where you have to search for liquor stores

Do not forget the delights of Sarawak and Sabah.

Remember there is more than mainland Malaysia

Great food, better roads, drivers not quite as crazy

Never been ripped off

Polite society

Interesting the OP is a malay posing as a foreigner to lure disgruntled foreigners in thailand to notice malay as an option, and then reading on in the comments I notice the popular thais on TVF that masquerade as foreigners hitting malaysia below the belt too.

...Here's your answer OP: how can any sensible person leaving thailand because of immigration or cultural issues jump ship to malaysia? that's like jumping from fire to frying pan. Why move to another asian country that would only be willing to let foreigners stay long term only if they're willing to pay(be extorted) large sums to their government?

1 hour ago, vinniekintana said:

Most posters trashing Msia have never actually visited/lived there.

This being said, the MM2H program is way too expensive

10000RM (70000 BAHT) per month in income is way too high...plus the 80k$ or so initial investment.

80k$ do you mean close to 3 million baht?

On 7/19/2019 at 11:36 AM, Shoban said:

We drink, party do as we please there is no Sharia law that applies to anyone here. 

Enjoy it while you can. Islam is an inexorable march toward repression. It's all history now.

I personally avoid any country with a high Muslim concentration. As a white person it's just common sense to me.

My Thai friends in Songkhla caution me to stay off the streets after dark. So I avoid the south altogether now.

Envision Whirled Peas.

On 7/20/2019 at 9:25 AM, Davut said:

Hi List,   Some time ago the requirements for retiring in the Philippines was posted here.    Would that person be kind enough to re-post it please,

With thanks,

Try this wonderful New thing called the internet. You can even do searches if you are an IT expert like me.

Give it a shot!

Archived