Import Duty On Posted Presents

Cool Water Palace

I tried searching for this as well on the forum, but only found business shipment costs.

I'm sure I've seen topics on this before, but cannot find. Can anyone suggest useful links?

Now perfume I expect is a complete no-go (even 50ml). I know it's officially not allowed by regulations, but I've mailed perfume a few times before (not to Thailand), and stated 'perfume' on customs label with no problem.

But what about a small tatty teddy worth £4 or £8?

Now is anyone willing to volunteer as courier in exchange for a few drinks, at least?

Use the regular post, mark him as 'used toy' and check the 'gift' box on the customs form, 99% of the time no problem.

Customs duty in Thailand is a major variable, I've had parcels of small stuff get 'taxed' and my car stereo get through unscathed.

Incidentally, my wifes teddy from the UK came DHL (not by choice, but that's another story) with other househild stuff, he was taxed 150 Baht :o

If the package weighs not more than 2 kg, send it as registered letter post, not parcel post. Letter post items are much less likely to get inspected, parcels are always sent to the customs section in the Post Office.

In either case, be sure to stick the green customs declaration CN 22 on the package. Check the box for “Gift”, describe the item correctly, ie for the teddy bear write “used toy, for personal use”, state a low but reasonable value, eg GBP 2.00.

It’s when the customs declaration is missing that a parcel attracts attention and gets inspected more closely.

--

Maestro

If the package weighs not more than 2 kg, send it as registered letter post, not parcel post. Letter post items are much less likely to get inspected, parcels are always sent to the customs section in the Post Office.

In either case, be sure to stick the green customs declaration CN 22 on the package. Check the box for “Gift”, describe the item correctly, ie for the teddy bear write “used toy, for personal use”, state a low but reasonable value, eg GBP 2.00.

It’s when the customs declaration is missing that a parcel attracts attention and gets inspected more closely.

--

Maestro

Re letter post do you include the UK's 'small packet' service, as that description seems irrelevant once an item leaves the UK? I've often used that to other destinations.

In previous posts, the amount of the duty has been mentioned, but not the rate. I would not be concerned if they demanded up to 200-300B on say items worth £8 or £12. I'd be miffed, but to contest it would be a waste of energy.

Re letter post do you include the UK's 'small packet' service, as that description seems irrelevant once an item leaves the UK? I've often used that to other destinations.

In previous posts, the amount of the duty has been mentioned, but not the rate. I would not be concerned if they demanded up to 200-300B on say items worth £8 or £12. I'd be miffed, but to contest it would be a waste of energy.

Actually quite a few post offices around the world use the 'small packet' definition :o

The actual rate of duty can be 20-40% depending upon what the item is and there is a published rates table (I think you can get it off the Thai customs website).

The problem comes with the 'value' of your item, if the customs chap thinks you've undevalued your 'antique' teddy he'll make up his own value and tax you on that. Beware sending something that looks remotely like the rare ted that sold at Sothebys for $250,000 :D

Re letter post do you include the UK's 'small packet' service

I didn’t realise small packets still existed; Switzerland stopped using them years ago. Checking the website of Royal Mail I see that it is still used. I do not know how the Thai central post office treats incoming small packets, whether as letter post or parcel post. I guess it depends in which type of post bag Royal Mail puts it on the plane: parcel post go to Customs, letter post does not.

--

Maestro