Stuff to bring from UK for a 3 month stay that is worth the hassle and cheaper

21 minutes ago, Jaxxper said:

Might want to just stay at home if you're going to bring all of that stuff with you. Most things you can get here just a little more expensive.

I must say though I always bring a raft og PG Tips tea bags with me though. somehow they taste better from the UK ????

Yes PG tips, I've been trying to buy the PG tips tea bags for months, can't find them anywhere.

2 hours ago, Emdog said:

This is fun. Ibuprofen? Aspirin used to be hard to find, haven't looked for years as I brought lots...

I'm a Yank & miss Dr Pepper. Wife brought me some UK made from Singapore. UK mix not quite right compared to USA made.

I always bring coffee (being Yankish) and guitar strings.

I find those pods reprehensible on environmental level. It is not that hard to make a good cup of coffee.

On the contrary my dear Yankee Doodle chapee it is the UK version of Dr Pepper that is preferred around these parts..

..To follow after a traditional UK chicken tikka kebab with chilli sauce of course..

..and don’t forget lucozade (original flavour) oh and our northern friends iron bru made in Scotland from girders of course. (Don’t ask me what girders are I never knew either - ask a Scott maybe)

dr pepoer

lucozade

iron bru

its all full of sugar anyhow. 

Instead try a dash of lime juice with honey in water, natural detox juice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jaxxper said:

Might want to just stay at home if you're going to bring all of that stuff with you. Most things you can get here just a little more expensive.

I must say though I always bring a raft og PG Tips tea bags with me though. somehow they taste better from the UK ????

Nah, Taylors Yorkshire Strong stuff.  LOL

• Like 2

5 hours ago, wgdanson said:

You are correct, it sorted my period pains out very quickly !   LOL

But is it not illegal to import codein?

technically - nut a couple of packs in original boxes are unlikely to attract any attention - ir haven't up till now. Same with pseudoephedrine in day nurse. 

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Are you takin' the piss?

No we bought a second hand condo last year - so went shopping in Tesco and a couple of other stores for something like Pledge - the price was 370 baht and there didn't seem to be a local variant. That's 10 quid in Brexit money. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Jip99 said:

Decent wine........................ we recently packed 4 bottles of good French reds @ £9 - £15 supermarket price.

Just don't get caught as you might lose it all.  Only one litre of alcohol allowed duty free irrespective of alcohol content.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tropposurfer said:

anything else you forgot ? ... your mind lol lol. Other than your razor and toothbrush why carry all that stuff. Vuill;a has all the marmite and vegemite you could possibly want.

Drugs aplenty and cheap as chips in LOS.

As are pork pies and other disgusting English fair that is passed off as food ... hahahahaha

Sacrilege!

Off with his head!!!

:laugh:

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Jaxxper said:

UK winter no thanks  - it's about saving a few quid for the three month stay - every little helps at 38 baht to the pound - I lived here for a year in 2003 and it was something like 78 baht - advice then take nothing. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, rak sa_ngop said:

Just don't get caught as you might lose it all.  Only one litre of alcohol allowed duty free irrespective of alcohol content.

Correct.

For many years I have chosen to take the chance of packing 2 bottles of wine in each of our suitcases.

We pass through customs separately.

I understand the ‘risks’.

28 minutes ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

No we bought a second hand condo last year - so went shopping in Tesco and a couple of other stores for something like Pledge - the price was 370 baht and there didn't seem to be a local variant. That's 10 quid in Brexit money. 

Bring Domestos as well........ can’t find anything like that here.

(pack well away from any decent cheese)

Extra mature Cheddar cheese, at least 4 kilo's.

Stilton cheese.

Mitchum roll on deodorant (you can only buy Nivea here)  

Yorkshire Teabags.

Bovril.

Marmite.

Oxo cubes.

And if you want to make your own pickles - Like Beetroot, Onions or Eggs you can buy Brown Malt vinegar from Siambury's at a very good price for over 1/2 litre. 

26 minutes ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

OK, so just use cheap palm oil.

I'm being sarcastic, however with all respect I think you will find many foreigners living her full-time part-time got themselves quickly into with what's available locally and quickly didn't miss very much from home. But of course that's all up to you.

However I do buy Vegemite from my local supermarket in Chiang mai. An old friend from Australia who had never travelled much came to Thailand, he decided to bring small gifts and he gave all his old buddies the smallest jar of Vegemite.

My second Thai granddaughter asked what it was so I made some toast and gave her toast with Vegemite, and she loved it. Within a few minutes my Thai son and his Thai wife and all 3 granddaughters were converts.

My oldest granddaughter is in charge of the shopping list for the next supermarket run, she lists what will run out soon and never misses to check if we need Vegemite. If on the list it's a priority to go in the cart. 

• Like 1

On 7/22/2019 at 12:22 PM, beautifulthailand99 said:

Marmite - decanted into plastic

From USA, never heard of Marmite - googled and AKA natures Valium. 

Very good for your "brain" also, is packed full of B vitamins and other good stuff

Many "recipes" online though the process looks very involved. 

"Here’s the recipe she came up with:

• A litre of Brewer's yeast (top fermentation from a brewery)
  • A little sea salt
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 2 carrots, diced
  • 1 turnip, diced
  • 1/2 celery stick, diced"
  • Like 1

Not read the whole thread but I bring

Shaving Foam (Nivea for Men)  - it and similar are available in Thailand but MUCH cheaper in UK (shops like Savers)

Nivea Cool Kick antiperspirant - available in Thailand but MUCH cheaper in UK (shops like Savers)

Nescafe Gold Blend - available in Thailand but MUCH cheaper in almost any UK supermarket

Savlon - NOT available in Thailand - i've researched!

Elastoplast strips that may be cut to size - the ones in Thailand just don't seem to stick

Interdental brushes - never seen them in Thailand

Alcohol pads for cleaning whatever (Hotel remote controls, phones etc etc) - also useful if you cut yourself before applying Savlon (tropical country, injuries go bad quickly) With the advent of fingerprinting at airports I'll be putting a few of these in my hand carry!

My underpants of choice from M&S - Thai bought ones just never seem to fit or last.

If I want long trousers then I bring but most probably wear on journey. Thai bought ones always need to be altered (for me being a shortish and well proportioned fellow!) 

Possibly a few cheap gifts for various ladies - items that may be hard to find in Thailand 

Condoms - the previous item reminded me ????

All of the above go into checked baggage and are either so small and light that it doesn't matter or will be used up on the trip, leaving room for all the stuff I buy in Thailand for my return.

• Like 1