Stuff to bring from UK for a 3 month stay that is worth the hassle and cheaper

3 minutes ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

I draw the line at that - would rather use wine than bleach....

And the difference between Thai wine and bleach is.........?  ????

Edited by VBF
  • Haha 2

Just now, VBF said:

And the difference between Thai wine and bleach is.........?

You can drink bleach and live to tell the tale....you know you are desperate or a poor Brit when you start considering their fruit wines. Reminds me of the old winos favourite Thunderbird - but not as good. Just a thought particularly for the Celtic supporters amongst us Buck - Buckfast Wine. 

Image result for thunderbird wine

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Bleach and disinfectant both expensive in Thailand.  The possession of Codiene is a serious offence as should the be the existence of VB beer.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/thailand/health

Some prescribed and over the counter medicines that are available in the UK are considered controlled substances in Thailand. Restrictions tend to apply to medication containing narcotic and pyschotropic substances. You can find more information on the website of the Royal Thai Embassy and checking the medication guidance for travellers. Further guidance can also be found on the NaTHNaC website on best practice when travelling with medicines.

2 hours ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

technically - nut a couple of packs in original boxes are unlikely to attract any attention - ir haven't up till now. Same with pseudoephedrine in day nurse. 

As ephedrine products are a pre cursor to crystal meth/ ice you should avoid bringing it here, along with codiene and alcohol above the legal limit. 

7 minutes ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/thailand/health

Some prescribed and over the counter medicines that are available in the UK are considered controlled substances in Thailand. Restrictions tend to apply to medication containing narcotic and pyschotropic substances. You can find more information on the website of the Royal Thai Embassy and checking the medication guidance for travellers. Further guidance can also be found on the NaTHNaC website on best practice when travelling with medicines.

Good point - and one thing i forgot in my list is my daily BP medication (enough for my trip) - I have a letter from my GP saying it's a prescribed med.

12 hours ago, Emdog said:

This is fun. Ibuprofen? Aspirin used to be hard to find, haven't looked for years as I brought lots...

I'm a Yank & miss Dr Pepper. Wife brought me some UK made from Singapore. UK mix not quite right compared to USA made.

I always bring coffee (being Yankish) and guitar strings.

I find those pods reprehensible on environmental level. It is not that hard to make a good cup of coffee.

Agree the coffee pods should be banned.

But IMHO nowadays lots of great coffee in Thai supermarkets etc., from Chiang Rai  /  golden triangle area. 

• Like 1

My advice.....none of it, it's just stuff you don't need to be dragging halfway around the world.  Enjoy the experience of Thailand, most of the things on your list you can buy here, and if you can't, well - just try something new, all part of the Thailand experience. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, faraday said:

Sacrilege!

Off with his head!!!

:laugh:

Seems to many pies from UK are very thick tasteless pastry with v. limited filling.

On the other hand Australian Pies and pasties now ere talking

Quite a range of good pies and pasties in Chiang Mai supermarkets, especially the Rimping chain. mde locally, good taste. good prices too.

3 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Seems to many pies from UK are very thick tasteless pastry with v. limited filling.

On the other hand Australian Pies and pasties now ere talking

Quite a range of good pies and pasties in Chiang Mai supermarkets, especially the Rimping chain. mde locally, good taste. good prices too.

Got some 'Nannas' apple pies from Villa last weekend: gorgeous things. The BlackBerry & Apple one's had a whole Berry in them.

Can you recommend others?

On 7/23/2019 at 4:46 PM, beautifulthailand99 said:

foamy is something like 70baht for some minute can where a gillette foam can is a quid 37 baht for a biggie. By the way my barber said don't use shaving gel - it blocks the blades and makes them blunt much quicker than foam. And don't tap them on the sink as it screws up the alignment of the blades. Furniture polish in jomtiem was something like 7 quid a can where it would be a quid here. Colgate Total is about half the price in the UK when you compare like for like and size. Gosh you make your blades last - I change mine about every 2 weeks. Cheap reading glasses seem to be mostly 100 baht in most places I have seen them - 38 baht in the UK with our denuded pound. 

Yes both machines will be left behind, Lazarda had the Nespresso Pixie for 14k baht where you can get it for 60 quid in the UK. My wife does a lot of cooking so the juicer is a must for our breakfast boost. 

Shaving foam totally not needed:

- Mix a small amount of shampoo with water in your hand and use it to wash your face and remove the dust and grease in your stubble,

- Rinse,  repeat and leave it on your face as a shaving cream, just as good as bought shaving cream, 1% of the price.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Scully said:

Suncream will save you a few quid.

Good tip especially if you buy cheap in UK winter. Recognised brands of sun cream and sun block are very expensive here.

Also, most locally bought suncreams contain whitener, which is ok if you are on the dole and don't want the UK benefit officers to ask questions about how you can afford a 2-month winter holiday in Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, kwak250 said:

Makes me think if i visited the U.k for 3 months my list of things to take from Thailand would be as follows;

going off topic, but LOBO pastes for massaman , yellow curry or pad krapow. coconut milk, as is cheap here. flat oily noodles (pad si iew?) 

lower down the list, maggi sauce, mama, and rot dee, although available at a price from the Chinese stores.

cheap football strip from the market at 200B or less if you haggle 'til dusk.

that is it, nothing more,

oh maybe laos coffee, the robusta beans, very bitter but what a hit !!!!

that is it, promise.....

• Confused 1

40 minutes ago, spoon1967 said:

My advice.....none of it, it's just stuff you don't need to be dragging halfway around the world.  Enjoy the experience of Thailand, most of the things on your list you can buy here, and if you can't, well - just try something new, all part of the Thailand experience. 

Good answer. My thoughts too....apart from razors.

I used to also bring beef flavoured pot noodle as the Thai wife loves them 

also crumpets

..with lurpac butter melted over them.

..for three months though I really wouldn’t bother with any of this other than teabags and deo and potentially king of shaves gel from boots

..instead get stuck into the Thai food.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, NightSky said:

When I’m not here I miss Som tam, sticky rice and grilled chicken

Its about 2.50 for a plate of som tam in the UK city (about 100 baht) as apposed to 40 baht down the soi in bkk

Good luck taking a bowl of som tam back in the plane.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, treetops said:

I'm only dragging it 20 yards or so, the other 6,000 ish miles are taken care of by taxi/airport/airline etc.

Why shouldn't someone bring something they enjoy and save money too, they can still try new Thai stuff in addition to it, and there are no negatives for an individual, unless your a real miserable git.

Well said best to max out your luggage allowance with things that you can't get or are very expensive. Look after the pennies and pounds look after themselves. 

• Like 1

On 7/23/2019 at 7:35 AM, tingtongtourist said:

Salami (Italian)  definately number 1. 

Imports i seen here 2-3,000 baht/kg.

local made, over 1,000kg

to much fat, not enough spice/pepper.

horrible

Good idea.

Am in Italy know and buying good quality salami at between 500 to 600 a kilo ( converted from Euro Price )

Big difference to Thai price. Might have to pack some when leaving  here to go back.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, seasia said:

Good idea.

Am in Italy know and buying good quality salami at between 500 to 600 a kilo ( converted from Euro Price )

Big difference to Thai price. Might have to pack some when leaving  here to go back.

Same for me. I bring back Salami, Sausages. Olive oil, Mayonnaise, Balsamic Vinegar and chocolate for the kids in the street. No spills to date.