Thai tourism in trouble: And competitor Vietnam is "scary" for Pattaya

webfact

2 hours ago, Matzzon said:

As for now, Yes it is. That´s because nothing has really changed.

Don't you think things should be changing here, for the better????

Vietnam is progressing rapidly.  Thailand having no change, which is debatable, may as well be going backwards, compared to its competitor. 

10 hours ago, Ron jeremy said:

Whatever so called communism really is, they have done it right.

people in Vietnam are happy, . No trouble.

thailand on the other hand has been the most politically unstable country in SEA historically.

Vietnamese rated the 5th happiest people in the world.

http://happyplanetindex.org/countries/vietnam

Edited by Leaver
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Don't you think things should be changing here, for the better????

Vietnam is progressing rapidly.  Thailand having no change, which is debatable, may as well be going backwards, compared to its competitor. 

Live the dream! es, Vietnam is progressing rapidly, which means that they will sooner or later put more controls and stricter rules into the equation. Good Luck!

6 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

And Thailand is 9th.

Yes, they are. 

I have just commented in another forum.  I don't understand why many expats leaving Thailand are returning to their home country, when nearby countries are offering a better deal to expats.  Of course, understandable for health or education reasons.

When you look at the happiness index, many of the major western countries are way down the list.  For example, The UK is 34th. 

3 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I expect he means TM30 enforcement! But this change has been way overblown (in my opinion).

TM30 has existed for many years if not decades, so it is no change.

Foreigners on this forum always think because a certain law is not strictly enforced, they don't need to comply with it, and when it is enforced in the future it is because they are not liked.

In every country of the world, when you enter a country it is your duty to know the laws of that country and comply with those laws, either if they are enforced or not.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Live the dream! es, Vietnam is progressing rapidly, which means that they will sooner or later put more controls and stricter rules into the equation. Good Luck!

Should Vietnam implement any new controls, or stricter rules, it will still be a lot more visa friendly and affordable than Thailand. 

It's those remaining in Thailand that will need the good luck, as things will only get harder here.  ????

Edited by Leaver

8 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I expect he means TM30 enforcement! But this change has been way overblown (in my opinion).

So when is the enforcement of a law a change? The law behind the TM30 is 40 years old,and It's not overblown,ask people in BKK who has to visit CW to submit the TM30 after every trip somewhere. 

2 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Should Vietnam implement and new controls, or stricter rules, it will still be a lot more visa friendly and affordable than Thailand. 

It's those remaining in Thailand that will need the good luck, as things will only get harder here.  ????

Let´s agree to disagree.

8 minutes ago, ThePioneer said:

Foreigners on this forum always think because a certain law is not strictly enforced, they don't need to comply with it, and when it is enforced in the future it is because they are not liked.

In every country of the world, when you enter a country it is your duty to know the laws of that country and comply with those laws, either if they are enforced or not.

Correct! 

16 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Yes, that is way, way, way overblown in my opinion too. After all the rules have been there for long time, but not enforced like you say. Should we then stand up and complain when a country start enforcing the rules and laws. No, that should be considered as a step forward.

Just now, Matzzon said:

Yes, that is way, way, way overblown in my opinion too. After all the rules have been there for long time, but not enforced like you say. Should we then stand up and complain when a country start enforcing the rules and laws. No, that should be considered as a step forward.

I guess you're not living in BKK? 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Finland is rated No 1 and I would never ever live there. Those are just numbers.

I wouldn't live there either. 

I posted the link to show the Vietnamese are happy people, despite being communist. 

Many who have never been there would be shocked that it's not a 3rd World, war torn, poverty stricken country, with the people living under a ruthless dictator.  ????

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Leaver said:

There are many, but one change that effects me is the ridiculous wine tax. 

And there are never changes in taxation, in let's say Europe? 

If the wine tax is your biggest concern in Thailand,then you're not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

22 minutes ago, RoadWarrior371 said:

The Viet people are also most likely to need a new pair of jeans, due to the daily leg-humping from recent rejects from Thailand. ????

Can't argue there, no shortage of rejects in Thailand. You nailed it !????????

21 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Seriously???

Yes, seriously.  Do you think it's only the visa laws that make Thailand unfriendly to expats????

There is wine from my home country for sale here at eight times the price, and that's at retail. 

There's a difference between reasonable tariffs and import duty, and taking the p*ss. 

Edited by Leaver
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Leaver said:

I wouldn't live there either. 

I posted the link to show the Vietnamese are happy people, despite being communist. 

Many who have never been there would be shocked that it's not a 3rd World, war torn, poverty stricken country, with the people living under a ruthless dictator.  ????

"war torn"? That war ended in 1975. That's 44 years ago. You could hardly see any traces of the war 5 years after it ended.

32 minutes ago, ThePioneer said:

So the change is, it's being enforced, where in the past, it wasn't.   So that's a change.  Right?

Edited by Leaver

2 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Yes, seriously.  Do you think it's only the visa laws that make Thailand unfriendly to expats????

There is wine from my home country for sale here at eight times the price. 

There's a difference between reasonable tariffs and import duty, and taking the p*ss. 

Then change to another bottle of wine,and stop whining. ????

20 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

And there are never changes in taxation, in let's say Europe? 

If the wine tax is your biggest concern in Thailand,then you're not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Did I say it was my biggest concern????

You asked for an example of a change that negatively impacts foreigners, and I gave you one.

Do you deny the tax on wine is now at ridiculous levels here?

Edited by Leaver