Thai tourism in trouble: And competitor Vietnam is "scary" for Pattaya

webfact

18 minutes ago, Leaver said:

So the government of the day, and those connected to them, can buy assets outside of Thailand for a lot cheaper.  ????

So you're saying that the government are manipulating the baht to buy, for example, properties abroad?

35 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

So you're saying that the government are manipulating the baht to buy, for example, properties abroad?

Leaver said those connected to the government also. That would be the very wealthy very connected Thai elites who benefit from an inflated baht buying foreign assets and also suspiciously have the means to influence the exchange rate.

Edited by morrobay
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, morrobay said:

Leaver said those connected to the government also. That would be the very wealthy very connected Thai elites who benefit from an inflated baht buying foreign assets and also suspiciously have the means to influence the exchange rate.

I would think that the government should understand that the to strong bath is not very good for the Thai economy in the long run.

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

So the government of the day, and those connected to them, can buy assets outside of Thailand for a lot cheaper.  ????

And perhaps you can say if this inflated baht for the benefit of the elites (who could care less about the other sectors) is sustainable. 

5 minutes ago, morrobay said:

And perhaps you can say if this inflated baht for the benefit of the elites (who could care less about the other sectors) is sustainable. 

Tourism used to be about 18% of the GDP. They're losing tourists every month because of the strong baht. I think the high season will be a disaster, and even worse than the last one.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2019 at 9:26 PM, Matzzon said:

There is no need for complaining for all the guys and dames that have the required amount. The only ones that have to worry is the ones that been trying to cheat the system as long as it has lasted. The end of days always comes.

I am one of the guys who has the required amount in the bank and justified or not i feel uncomfortable keeping it there, yes it's a complaint,

For various reasons i have a distrust for thai banks, present and previous governments and start to fear for thailands future,

At the moment a friend is has flown to vn for a looksee with a view to moving, Although quite minted (no need to work again) he does'nt fit the age requirement for thailand,

Fact is i i still work but not in thailand and then only need to fly to work every 2 months or so for 10days, so where ever i live i need to be near an international airport, I have the itch to get up and go for a looksee at the prospect of moving to vn myself.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, tingtongfarang said:

I am one of the guys who has the required amount in the bank and justified or not i feel uncomfortable keeping it there, yes it's a complaint,

For various reasons i have a distrust for thai banks, present and previous governments and start to fear for thailands future,

At the moment a friend is has flown to vn for a looksee with a view to moving, Although quite minted (no need to work again) he does'nt fit the age requirement for thailand,

Fact is i i still work but not in thailand and then only need to fly to work every 2 months or so for 10days, so where ever i live i need to be near an international airport, I have the itch to get up and go for a looksee at the prospect of moving to vn myself.

yeah sure, if you are scared of the Thai banks and fear for the country´s future. then you must move. just hope that VN will be safer.

5 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

yeah sure, if you are scared of the Thai banks and fear for the country´s future. then you must move. just hope that VN will be safer.

If not safe then i just move again, I checked and found there are no restrictions on my dog moving with me but my worry is he might get eaten,

My (tart) partner i guess would be under the same visa rules as i although she has dual nationality (thai-persian) 

I dont feel afraid of another move.. thailand is my sixth country, I feel more afraid if going back to the uk, 35years since i lived there.

• Like 1

On 7/26/2019 at 12:17 AM, chrissables said:

independent travelling...nowhere compared to travelling around Issan. Da nang deadly dull...But I like Vietnam. 

I suggest you have not done much independant travelling there,i have. Motorbike from Saigon to to the far north, north east and west and back....two times. The HCM road and the coast routes are both far better than anything thing i have seen in Issan, but maybe you can tell where i have missed? 

Cat Ba Island and into Ha Long Bay, wonderful, no rip off at all.

The girl scene is not comparable with Pattaya, where is? For sure if girl hunting is your aim Pattaya is the place ???? 

Food i agree too except in major tourist cities, there is a good choice there.

Does Issan have views like this?

DSC_0142.JPG

DSC_0634.JPG

Travelling by motor bike is a different form independent travel añd which only a tiny minority of people do. I applaud your adventurous spirit. However, to compare a country to a city, as this article tries to do  is silly. Northern Thailand,  Central Thailand and Issan have places of equal beauty to the places in your photographs. Thailand has a much deeper, richer culture with music  theatre and glorious colour all of which is cheap and accessible. Vietnam has nothing to compare.  I travel solo and independently in Thailand but found in Vietnam it was all about organised tour groups which is something I never felt the need to do in Thailand. I enjoyed Vietnam and shall probably return. I cant say the same for Cambodia or the Philippines.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, tingtongfarang said:

If not safe then i just move again, I checked and found there are no restrictions on my dog moving with me but my worry is he might get eaten,

My (tart) partner i guess would be under the same visa rules as i although she has dual nationality (thai-persian) 

I dont feel afraid of another move.. thailand is my sixth country, I feel more afraid if going back to the uk, 35years since i lived there.

Yeah, nothing to be afraid of. But as always, the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence. Sometimes it´s the sunlight that is giving you a non existing reality.

Wish you good luck, though. Everyone should do what feels right. as you say, you can only do a mistake that can be made right again.

Edited by Matzzon

1 minute ago, Matzzon said:

Yeah, nothing to be afraid of. But as always, the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence. Sometimes it´s the sunlight that is giving you a non existing reality.

Another concern is i believe thailand no longer wants expats and will continue to create hoops targeting all types of visa, With that said it's their country,

I think all expats here have a limit but many are tied up with assets and family so limits will vary, Even the ones who deny they have the same fears still have them in the back of the head somewhere.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Leaver said:

They so can anybody else with Thai Baht but that's not the reason the Baht is of value , Have another go.

1 hour ago, tingtongfarang said:

Another concern is i believe thailand no longer wants expats and will continue to create hoops targeting all types of visa, With that said it's their country,

I think all expats here have a limit but many are tied up with assets and family so limits will vary, Even the ones who deny they have the same fears still have them in the back of the head somewhere.

You might be right. Only time will tell. I have family with 2 daughters, but I would like to believe I sit quite safe. However, nobody knows but there are solutions too.

Not stuck in any way. If it would come to a point that makes it impossible for me to stay, then they would go with me. That I am sure of, due to explaining, talking and understanding has always been a goal in our family.

36 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Yeah, you can always trust communism. ????

How many military coups has Thailand had in recent history?

How many members of a certain family, and their political party, are now in exile?

And you think a communist country is unstable and Thailand is stable?   ????

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

You might be right. Only time will tell. I have family with 2 daughters, but I would like to believe I sit quite safe. However, nobody knows but there are solutions too.

Not stuck in any way. If it would come to a point that makes it impossible for me to stay, then they would go with me. That I am sure of, due to explaining, talking and understanding has always been a goal in our family.

Everyone has the option to leave.  The question is, what is one prepared to leave behind?

For some, there will be no option in the future.  It's move to another country, or back to their home country, or possibly overstay. 

The option to stay is coming with increasing hoops and financials.  One must ask themselves, "Is it worth staying?"

5 hours ago, morrobay said:

They don't care if it's sustainable.  They are too busy making obscene money for themselves. 

Since when has the wealthy Thai's ever cared about their fellow citizens?

6 hours ago, Max69xl said:

Put two and two together.  Do you think they are doing it to benefit Thai's, and Thailand, or themselves? 

20 minutes ago, Leaver said:

How many members of a certain family, and their political party, are now in exile?

Now there's an idea, Next time anyone asks me how long i have lived here i will think carefully then give an answer in coups and prime ministers,

As i see it the thais have had their country stolen from them, not sure if plans are afoot to claim it back but it definitely does not feel stable,

it's hard to imagine companies wanting to invest here.

Edited by tingtongfarang

16 minutes ago, Leaver said:

I've seen many coups here the last 31 years,and so far there's not been any problems with bank accounts etc etc for foreigners. The rules/laws haven't changed that much,either. They have just started to enforce some of them. It's just here on TVF where so many of you have theories about this and that, and most of you don't even live in Thailand long term. If you think the financial requirements or some rules are to tough, just leave for another country. 

9 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Put two and two together.  Do you think they are doing it to benefit Thai's, and Thailand, or themselves? 

I don't think it's that easy,to be honest. The government will eventually (hopefully) realize that the to strong baht doesn't benefit the Thai economy.

2 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

I've seen many coups here the last 31 years,

That would make you one of the longer boiling frogs here.  You have been here so long you have just got used to it.

3 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

If you think the financial requirements or some rules are to tough, just leave for another country. 

Take a look around.  They are leaving, and so are the tourists.   

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

I don't think it's that easy,to be honest. The government will eventually (hopefully) realize that the to strong baht doesn't benefit the Thai economy.

And just what damage would they need to see for them to be convinced of that?

Look at the place now.  How much further down the S bend can they let the place go?

Read the OP again.  Even Thai's are now saying Vietnam is "scary" for Thailand.  That's a loss of face for them.

They had a huge market share and are losing it so rapidly they can't even deny it, as they so often do. 

Edited by Leaver
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Max69xl said:

Yeah, you can always trust communism. ????

Whatever so called communism really is, they have done it right.

people in Vietnam are happy, . No trouble.

thailand on the other hand has been the most politically unstable country in SEA historically.

• Like 2