The Aussie Rules Football Thread - The Greatest Game On Earth

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

real footbal !??!??! , dont you lot use your hands most the time !!!!!

We use our hands to mark (catch) the ball but we kick it about 95% of the time, the rules allow us to handball by punching (closed fist) the ball of the palm of the other hand.

They also allow us to tackle with actual physical contact and we don't allow a bunch of whinging nancy boys to clutch their ankles because someone came within 5 m of them. We call it diving for a free kick - you guys call it football (soccer)

Different games different rules - you have a goal keep who uses his hands and all the players are allowed to head the ball.

Thanks for the post

CB

Brisbane 15.12

Saints 7.8

Jeez the Lions looked good, but they usually do at the 'Gabba.

Tredrea kicked 7 goals for Port Magpies against Norwood last night.... look out Crows next week, Tredders is BACK.

Edited by sceadugenga

Good weekend for Adelaide with Port and the Crows both winning, Port against long term nemesis North Melbourne at home and the Crows trouncing the highly fancied Bulldogs in Melbourne.

This weekend coming is the local derby, the Showdown at AAMI Stadium and I'll be home in Chiang Rai. I'll piss blood if the satellite's down or for some insane reason Australia Network doesn't show it. :D:o

Good weekend for Adelaide with Port and the Crows both winning, Port against long term nemesis North Melbourne at home and the Crows trouncing the highly fancied Bulldogs in Melbourne.

This weekend coming is the local derby, the Showdown at AAMI Stadium and I'll be home in Chiang Rai. I'll piss blood if the satellite's down or for some insane reason Australia Network doesn't show it. :D:o

Yes it was a good weekend for the South Australians - PP played good football and deserved the win.

To be truly honest I really thought that after the previous weeks poor showing by the Crows they would go down against the in form Dogs. With some key players out from the team and looking very sloppy I thought my Crow pick would be a throw away.

This week's derby with the Crows v Port will be a good match - and despite what you may think I am happy to see Warren T back in your side - he is a player I love to watch even if he is playing for the wrong team :D

You could always come down to Chiang Mai and catch up with the TV crew for the Songkran weekend here. Would be great to meet you and we could sit up at he Downunder bar watching the game - away from the main warzone around the moat.

CB

well port pwer just got a footy lesson by the mighty crows 55555555555555555555

And those whining Freo dicks got firmly put in their place by the mighty, premiership Eagles! :o

And kudos for Braun for dropping the F word on Australian wide TV when accepting the Glendinning trophy as best player! :D

Edited by Old Croc

Oh well, at least a Crows win got you posting again, the mighty Sceadugenga likes the footy win or lose.

Sorry I missed you in Adelaide Bronco, as usual everything got left till the last moment and I was my usual highly organized self. Got to the airport and realised tickets were still on my mate's kitchen table so lucky to make the plane. Someone told me you don't need a copy of the ticket these days, only your passport , but decided not to take the risk with Air Asia anyway.

Bloody satellite was down when I got home so no footy this weekend :o

Came back with a decent visa though, (for the first time), the Royal Thai consulate in Adelaide is great.

RESULTS:

Winning Team Score Losing Team Score

Collingwood 17.13 (115) def. Richmond 13.12 (90)

Carlton 18.17 (125) def. Essendon 17.20 (122)

Adelaide 13.9 (87) def. Port Adelaide 8.15 (63)

St Kilda 17.14 (116) def. Western Bulldogs 9.12 (66)

West Coast Eagles 14.17 (101) def. Fremantle 11.4 (70)

Sydney Swans 13.18 (96) def. Brisbane Lions 10.9 (69)

Geelong 15.19 (109) def. Melbourne 8.9 (57)

Hawthorn 13.13 (91) def. Kangaroos 10.10 (70)

Hope you team did well - unless you are playing mine

:o

CB

You guys following the Headland/Selwood saga? Sport sinks to a new low, player tells an opposition player he f*cked his six year old daughter. Reports all round, angry father on multiple striking charges and walks at the tribunal. Court action also pending.

Only in Western Australia.

You guys following the Headland/Selwood saga? Sport sinks to a new low, player tells an opposition player he f*cked his six year old daughter. Reports all round, angry father on multiple striking charges and walks at the tribunal. Court action also pending.

The tribunal found Selwood not guilty of the extreme sledge mentioned above, mainly because of no collaberating testimony. The player insists he didn't use the words attributed to him and is intending to sue for defamation.

The tribunal then reversed the five match suspension on Headland on the grounds that he was provocted by the unproven insult! He escaped without penalty for landing numerous punches in several seperate incidents! :D

Provacation will be the defense of the day for future striking incidents on the field. :D

Western Australia does seem to be leading the rest of the nation with sensational, off the field happennings! At least the Eagles are the only unbeaten team, even if they are drug fuelled! :o

I only knew the bit from the AFL website but this is reprehensible. If it is true that Headland said this and from my reading of the matter it was unsubstantiated so the charge was dropped then he deserved to get his head punched in. It is one thing to say something about the man it is a totally different issue to say something about his family.

Sadly this will not go away and has taken on the same tone as was used during the low days of cricket sledging a few years ago. Adam Guilcrist was then one of the worst of the offenders and should have been severely dealt with. I think the next match between these teams will be a very long game and coaches on both sides will be very concerned about losing players in the latter part of the season to suspension and possible injury.

I am so grateful that the crows and port power share a great rivalry but don't have this sort of hatred for eachother :o

CB

Sorry Croc, telling some one you ######ed their kid was inevitable in todays sporting scene. Headland had to be physically restrained by members of his own coaching staff, you can't put that on. He definitely heard something that set him off. I hope other trashtalkers learn from this, I can't see it setting a precedent in the tribunal, I think most AFL players are basically decent lads with the exception of a few notable examples. I hope Selwood doesn't suffer any more because of it, he's crazy if he takes it further, a "yes you are, no I'm not" pedophilia trial is the last thing any sport needs.

If it makes you feel better I think that the tribunal decision was loopy, but bear in mind they're all former players. You can see them thinking..."What if someone said that to me on the ground."

I only knew the bit from the AFL website but this is reprehensible. If it is true that Headland said this and from my reading of the matter it was unsubstantiated so the charge was dropped then he deserved to get his head punched in. It is one thing to say something about the man it is a totally different issue to say something about his family.

Sadly this will not go away and has taken on the same tone as was used during the low days of cricket sledging a few years ago. Adam Guilcrist was then one of the worst of the offenders and should have been severely dealt with. I think the next match between these teams will be a very long game and coaches on both sides will be very concerned about losing players in the latter part of the season to suspension and possible injury.

I am so grateful that the crows and port power share a great rivalry but don't have this sort of hatred for eachother :D

CB

That's why the players aren't allowed to drink in the same hotels after a Showdown. Remember when Josh Carr flattened 'Roo in the Ramsgate carpark? :o

That's why the players aren't allowed to drink in the same hotels after a Showdown. Remember when Josh Carr flattened 'Roo in the Ramsgate carpark? :o

I think the worse one was when Mark Binkley broke Waklin's jaw during the game - it was totally out of character and he was very sorry for what he did. I know he went to the hospital to see Wakelin and he also fronted up to Power Headquarters to personally apologise. He still got belted a few times at the next match up but I think it showed a lot of courage and integrity.

This one from WA is terrible and could develop into something far worse. I also agree that the tribunal made a bad decision. You can't regect one because what was said to him was not corroborated and then allow the second when it was clearly shown from any number of sources that he hit him. To say that it was justifiable in respect to what was said makes a mockery of the first.

What was said, if true is disgusting but the ongoing fight for the rest of the game is clearly in breach of the rules and much as I think he was correct to deck him he should have been made to pay the penalty which is automatic suspension. We went through all this years ago over racial vilification and the tribunal slammed down hard on some players who said it and those who were provoked into punching the player who said it.

CB

I've nothing but respect for the Eagles, North Melbourne being declared team of the 90s over them was laughable.

It was inevitable that some of their players went off the rails, there's no club level control that a small town side desperately needs. This years they've made the headlines for all the wrong reasons and I hope all that talent doesn't go to waste in terms of lost flags.

You should have no love for Worsfold anyway, remember the day he dropped Tony Modra while all the Crows players stood around pretending they were looking somewhere else? That pretty well summed up the Crows "it's nothing personal, only business" attitude to me. But perhaps I'm just getting old. Mal Brown must cry in his beer every time he watches a match.

I've nothing but respect for the Eagles, North Melbourne being declared team of the 90s over them was laughable.

It was inevitable that some of their players went off the rails, there's no club level control that a small town side desperately needs. This years they've made the headlines for all the wrong reasons and I hope all that talent doesn't go to waste in terms of lost flags.

You should have no love for Worsfold anyway, remember the day he dropped Tony Modra while all the Crows players stood around pretending they were looking somewhere else? That pretty well summed up the Crows "it's nothing personal, only business" attitude to me. But perhaps I'm just getting old. Mal Brown must cry in his beer every time he watches a match.

As a supporter of the only Non drinking!! churchgoing and family friendly team inthe league, namely the Brisbane Lions :D last weekends incident was disturbing to say the least!! no one will ever now what was really what was said, but lets hope all the fuss dies down soon,we dont need controversies like this :o Nignoy

CB

Just to avoid confusion:

Headland has a tattoo picture of his daughter on his upper arm. Selwood is the one who apparently made some remarks about the tat. Headland went beserk and attacked Selwood. He has several cuts on his face.

They disagreed before the tribunal as to exactly what was said and Selwoods charge was dropped.

The AFL, at appeal, then dismissed Headlands suspension on the grounds of extreme provocation, despite having said in the past that provocation will never be an excuse!

The AFL after setting this precedence then made a statement that it does not set a precedence!!! :o

Edited by Old Croc

CB

Just to avoid confusion:

Headland has a tattoo picture of his daughter on his upper arm. Selwood is the one who apparently made some remarks about the tat. Headland went beserk and attacked Selwood. He has several cuts on his face.

They disagreed before the tribunal as to exactly what was said and Selwoods charge was dropped.

The AFL, at appeal, then dismissed Headlands suspension on the grounds of extreme provocation, despite having said in the past that provocation will never be an excuse!

The AFL after setting this precedence then made a statement that it does not set a precedence!!! :o

Thanks Old Croc for the explanation, it is hard to figure out what happened from this far away.

I did a couple of years as an umpire - well I can't play for sh1t so had to something :D but in my opinion what should have happened is that BOTH players receive a minimum of two game suspension for bringing the game into disrepute. This is similar to the racial issue a while back and the tribunal decided it had to do something drastic to stop it because it was way out of hand. Secondly the tribunal must make a statement that it will NOT tolerate this sort of behaviour, no exceptions and no excuses.

I remember when a crow player (can't remember his name) made a racial sting at the aboriginal boys in Port Power - he was lucky to not be beaten to death but the Crows fined and suspended him anyway.

CB

Remember Scott Cummings getting attacked by your full back that day?.....what was his name, but he'd just got married. Boy I was glad when Port got rid of Cummings, he was nothing but trouble in the club as well. He ended up playing for four sides. Kicked 8 sausage rolls on his debut. What a waste of talent.

The mighty Sceadugenga acknowledges the kindness of Bronco in letting him know it was another good weekend in Adelaide. Port and the Crows both win.

A quick check of the Crows/Sydney match shows how hard it is to score with the entire teams in both sides not moving past centre.

Edited by sceadugenga

The Sunday Age printed an article today that appears to be the first step to mount a campaign to strip Cousins of his Brownlow medal and West Coast of their 2006 flag.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/fair...6697152793.html

Is this another example of "interstate" bashing by the Vics or a genuine concern over drug use in sport?

Edited by sceadugenga

The Sunday Age printed an article today that appears to be the first step to mount a campaign to strip Cousins of his Brownlow medal and West Coast of their 2006 flag.

Is this another example of "interstate" bashing by the Vics or a genuine concern over drug use in sport?

This is very interesting reading. I cannot imagine the AFL having the testicular fortitude to strip the Brownlow and the Premiership from the Eagles. However Andrew Frazer (the author of the article) is correct in that other champions have been stripped of medals and records for testing positive and some have had records etc removed years after the event including Ben Johnson when better testing showed he had been using prohibited substances. The Sydney Olympics have kept samples of all medal winners that we be tested again as new techniques are developed to detect maskers that prevent the drugs from showing. If in 10 years time it shows an athlete was using drugs they will have their medal removed and the record deleted.

CB

Round 4 results

7:40PM - Melbourne Cricket Ground Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Final

Richmond Tigers 4.2 5.5 8.13 14.16 100

Western Bulldogs 6.4 10.8 12.11 20.12 132

2:10PM - Melbourne Cricket Ground Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Final

Collingwood Magpies 3.5 7.9 9.10 9.12 66

Port Adelaide FC 3.3 7.7 9.9 12.12 84

2:10PM - Telstra Dome Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Final

St Kilda Saints 2.4 4.6 7.9 9.14 68

Essendon Bombers 1.2 7.3 11.8 15.9 99

7:10PM - AAMI Stadium Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Final

Adelaide Crows 3.2 6.5 8.6 9.7 61

Sydney Swans 0.4 1.6 5.10 5.14 44

7:15PM - GOLD COAST STADIUM Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Final

Kangaroos 5.4 6.6 7.13 12.15 87

Brisbane Lions 1.6 5.9 6.13 8.15 63

1:10PM - Aurora Stadium Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Final

Hawthorn Hawks 0.3 4.7 8.9 10.16 76

Geelong Cats 3.3 4.8 8.13 9.18 72

2:10PM - Melbourne Cricket Ground Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Final

Melbourne Demons 3.5 4.9 9.11 13.14 92

Fremantle 5.2 10.5 17.8 21.11 137

2:40PM - Subiaco Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Final

West Coast Eagles 5.2 6.8 9.11 14.16 100

Carlton Blues 1.2 2.6 3.11 4.15 39

There is a real undercurrent of hatred and jelousy building in Victoria against interstate teams, but most particularly against The Eagles. Their very public drug and behaviour problems haven't helped, but, though the worst, they are not alone in this sort of conduct. Victorian player's off field indiscretions, and there have been many this year, are glossed over in the press. Contrast that with Cousin's infamous run from a booze bus that was highlighted in the first 7 pages of the local rag! (The West Australian)

As the Victorian teams struggle more and more to be competetive (they have failed to win a premiership for most of the millenium and generally can't even finish in the top 4), they have developed a trend to blame the interstate teams for having success, rather than accept the fact that they are carrying too many teams in their state. Many even wish for a return to the VFL days.

(If Cousins was stripped of the Brownlow, would it be awarded to the runnerup - Daniel Kerr?)

For your information the Crow Boy is number 31 out of 947 on the Thai Air tipping comp which is pretty handy I must say. Didn't notice any Old Crocs or sceadugenga's in the list of the top 50 :o

http://thaiairways.footytips.com.au/cfm/ft...31&finals=0

If you want to check out list the address is above - may need a wheelbarrow and trowel to fit into a http address line

CB

Edited by Crow Boy

There is a real undercurrent of hatred and jelousy building in Victoria against interstate teams, but most particularly against The Eagles. Their very public drug and behaviour problems haven't helped, but, though the worst, they are not alone in this sort of conduct. Victorian player's off field indiscretions, and there have been many this year, are glossed over in the press. Contrast that with Cousin's infamous run from a booze bus that was highlighted in the first 7 pages of the local rag! (The West Australian)

As the Victorian teams struggle more and more to be competetive (they have failed to win a premiership for most of the millenium and generally can't even finish in the top 4), they have developed a trend to blame the interstate teams for having success, rather than accept the fact that they are carrying too many teams in their state. Many even wish for a return to the VFL days.

(If Cousins was stripped of the Brownlow, would it be awarded to the runnerup - Daniel Kerr?)

What do you think the problem is with the Vic teams,old one?, obviously there are too many, four have to go then you have a very fair situation where each team plays every one of the others twice in a season, home and away; but at the moment the draft makes everything equal, it's nothing to do with money or population. I mean the Crows are the richest club in the league by miles for no flags this century. Is it to do with hide bound coaching and recruiting techniques? I think club administration has a lot to do with it, clubs need highly professional administrators who have nothing to do with the running of the team. I think this has been a lot of the problem, even with the Crows, too much interference in the team by amateurs.