The Aussie Rules Football Thread - The Greatest Game On Earth

Glenelg beat Norths today ye ye hehe 55555

As a previous resident on the Esplanade, almost opposite the Brighton Jetty I have a soft spot for the Tigers but I am really a North fan. I have been out of SA so long now I have no idea of who is playing what or how they are doing.

CB

Had a hard time getting a park at the Broadway Hotel on the day so they had a good crowd.

Good for local footy, and that's where the AFL players learn their craft.

Won't see much craft down there mate, two flags in their history and both against North Adelaide, say no more. If you want to see real footy played at grass roots level, get the tram to town then the train to Alberton. No parking problems and you can have a few beers in the best club rooms in the state afterwards. You never know you may even get a few autographs, Ginever, Hodges, Phillips, Clifford, aah.... South Australian footy history mate.

I like local footy, when I was last in Adelaide I watched a Redlegs game (against Port I think?) it was good fun. The Crows were playing and there was no way I could get a ticket - would have been much easier if it had been Power because they only fill up about half the stadium on a good day :o Very different to the AFL standard but I think the local competition has lifted as a result. You are correct, this is the breeding ground for the AFL and guys like Ben Hart who has gone back to North add skills and influence on the younger guys as well.

In Victoria - we used to sit on the bonnet of the car parked on the boundary line with a 6 pack of beer and a couple of pies. Now THAT'S the way to watch local footy.

CB

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glenelg beat Norths today ye ye hehe 55555

As a previous resident on the Esplanade, almost opposite the Brighton Jetty I have a soft spot for the Tigers but I am really a North fan. I have been out of SA so long now I have no idea of who is playing what or how they are doing.

CB

Had a hard time getting a park at the Broadway Hotel on the day so they had a good crowd.

Good for local footy, and that's where the AFL players learn their craft.

Won't see much craft down there mate, two flags in their history and both against North Adelaide, say no more. If you want to see real footy played at grass roots level, get the tram to town then the train to Alberton. No parking problems and you can have a few beers in the best club rooms in the state afterwards. You never know you may even get a few autographs, Ginever, Hodges, Phillips, Clifford, aah.... South Australian footy history mate.

I like local footy, when I was last in Adelaide I watched a Redlegs game (against Port I think?) it was good fun. The Crows were playing and there was no way I could get a ticket - would have been much easier if it had been Power because they only fill up about half the stadium on a good day :o Very different to the AFL standard but I think the local competition has lifted as a result. You are correct, this is the breeding ground for the AFL and guys like Ben Hart who has gone back to North add skills and influence on the younger guys as well.

In Victoria - we used to sit on the bonnet of the car parked on the boundary line with a 6 pack of beer and a couple of pies. Now THAT'S the way to watch local footy.

CB

Country footy, I was brought up on it. The wives and girl friends sat in the car and blew the horn when ever a goal was kicked. (And drove home)

I must admit I like being able to go back to Adelaide and get a ticket for Port home games when ever I like. I'll tell you something though, if you ever get to a Crow's home game, have a look across at the members stand. Usually around half full. Also people with season tickets not turning up. I believe a lot of other clubs have the same problem, they get the money but not the supporters on the day.

PORT ADELAIDE honoured 200-game captain Warren Tredrea and at the same time promised plenty for the future with a 31-point beating of a casual Essendon in the twilight match at AAMI Stadium tonight.

PORT ADELAIDE 7.4 13.6 19.10 19.12 (126)

ESSENDON 1.3 5.8 7.13 13.17 (95)

Goals

Port Adelaide: B Ebert 4 W Tredrea 4 R Gray 4 J Westhoff 2 C Cornes D White M Wilson D Rodan S Burgoyne.

Essendon: M McVeigh 2 D Peverill 2 A McPhee 2 A Welsh M Lloyd S Lucas M Bolton C Heffernan J Laycock J Nash.

Best

Port Adelaide: C Cornes R Gray W Tredrea S Burgoyne P Burgoyne D Brogan J Westhoff B Ebert K Cornes.

Essendon: J Watson J Nash M McVeigh.

Umpires: S Grun S Wenn M Ellis

Official crowd: 25,242 at AAMI Stadium

Round 12 is a split round with half the matches played this weekend and the other half next.

15/6/2007 Telstra Dome @ 19:40 Full Time

Carlton 12.8.(80) G: Waite, Fevola 3, Murphy, Fisher 2, Wiggins, Whitnall, Simpson, Koutoufides, Walker

Hawthorn 27.18.(180) G: Boyle 3, Roughead 5, Osborne, Smith 2, Croad 3, Lewis, Crawford, Ellis, Ladson 3, Hodge 4, Birchall, Campbell 2

16/6/2007 Carrara Stadium @ 19:10 Full Time

Kangaroos 7.12.(54) G: Brown, Edwards 2, Grant, Jones, Thomas 2

Adelaide 15.10.(100) G: Bock 4, Griffin, Mattner, McGregor 2, Ricciuto, Thompson, Welsh 5

16/6/2007 TIO Stadium @ 19:40 Full Time

Western Bulldogs 22.9.(141) G: Akermanis 2, Boyd 2, Cooney, Darcy 2, Giansiracusa, Hahn 3, Harbrow, Higgins, Johnson 5, Murphy 2, Ray, West

Fremantle 16.19.(115) G: Bell, Black, Dodd, Headland 2, Mundy, Pavlich 3, Sandilands, Solomon 2, Tarrant 2, Walker, Warnock

17/6/2007 Skilled Stadium @ 13:10 Full Time

Geelong 12.13.(85) G: Mackie, Chapman, Johnson 3, Bartel, Ablett, Mooney, Stokes, Wojcinski, Varcoe, Ablett jnr

Brisbane 5.5.(35) G: Hadley, Macdonald, Brown 2, Patfull

17/6/2007 AAMI Stadium @ 16:40 Full Time

Port Adelaide 19.12.(126) G: Tredrea 4, S Burgoyne, Ebert 4, Gray 4, Westhoff 2, Rodan, Wilson, White, C Cornes

Essendon 13.17.(95) G: Peverill 2, Lucas, Heffernan, Bolton, Laycock, Lloyd, McVeigh 2, Welsh, Nash, McPhee 2

Good News for scoobiedoodah and myself but not such a happy one for AussieThaied. He may be pleased that he went back to work and is out of contact for the results for the next 6 weeks.

CB

Geelong 12.13.(85) G: Mackie, Chapman, Johnson 3, Bartel, Ablett, Mooney, Stokes, Wojcinski, Varcoe, Ablett jnr

Brisbane 5.5.(35) G: Hadley, Macdonald, Brown 2, Patfull

Go Cats!!!

:o

I think the Cats can be happy they got the win but look at their kicking for goal 12.13 (85). The Lions played like a bunch of amateurs. They should be offering a public apology to their fans and the AFL. Brisbane has some real problems up there and need to get it together. They have age and injury problems that need to be sorted out and there seems to me that there is a lot of discention within the team.

CB

The Pies beat the Swans last night by 19 points.

Malthouse was pretty happy.

went to this game last night was bloody freezing at the stadium would say no more than 2deg.

my mate drives the bus for the main collingwood supporters, joppa's crowd met at wests aussie rules club few beers then on to the stadium even though i likew the swans the magpies are my 2nd team, good laugh lots songs on the bus there, after the game had to wait around fdor about a hour has the magpie lads had there big sing along under the stands,no wonder they call them the ferals :o some scruffy buggers there.

joffa was very popular has he was in the sports pages of the telegrapth day of the game with his gold lame jacket he puts on when he thinks it is game over, love the way the collingwood supporters get behind there team,all in all a great night out, but give me watching man utd any day :D

The Saints win at Subiaco.

WEST COAST: 3.4, 4.5, 10.7, 11.10 (76)

ST KILDA: 3.3, 10.6, 12.7, 15.9 (99)

GOALS: West Coast: Lynch 2, Braun 2, R.Jones, Hurn, Staker, LeCras, Graham, Cox, Seaby

St Kilda: Koschitzke 4, Baker 2, Milne 2, Dal Santo 2, Rix, X.Clarke, Gilbert, Riewoldt, Montagna

BEST: West Coast: Kerr, Braun, Hurn, B.Jones, Cox, Stenglein

St Kilda: Harvey, Montagna, Koschitzke, Dal Santo, Hayes, Hudghton

What a season eh? I don't think I've seen the teams this even for a long time.

Geelong 12 9 - 3 1358 874 155 36 WinWinWinWinWinWinWinLose

Rank2 Hawks Hawthorn 12 8 - 4 1157 945 122 32 WinLoseWinWinWinLoseWinLose

Rank3 Eagles West Coast Eagles 12 8 - 4 1100 912 121 32 LoseLoseWinLoseWinLoseWinWin

Rank4 Magpies Collingwood 12 8 - 4 1120 1043 107 32 WinLoseWinWinLoseWinWinWin

Rank5 Crows Adelaide 12 7 - 5 989 885 112 28 WinLoseLoseWinWinWinLoseLose

Rank6 Bombers Essendon 12 7 - 5 1201 1162 103 28 LoseWinWinWinWinLoseLoseLose

Rank7 Bulldogs Western Bulldogs 12 7 - 5 1223 1222 100 28 WinWinLoseLoseWinWinLoseWin

Rank8 Power Port Adelaide 12 7 - 5 1127 1130 100 28 WinLoseLoseLoseLoseWinWinWin

Rank9 Kangaroos Kangaroos 12 7 - 5 1101 1137 97 28 LoseWinLoseWinWinWinWinWin

Rank10 Swans Sydney Swans 12 6 - 6 999 904 111 24 LoseWinLoseWinWinLoseLoseWin

Rank11 Freo Fremantle 12 5 - 7 1155 1188 97 20 LoseWinLoseWinLoseWinLoseWin

Rank12 Saints St Kilda 12 5 - 7 913 1032 88 20 WinLoseLoseLoseLoseWinWinLose

Rank13 Lions Brisbane Lions 12 4 1 7 958 1076 89 18 LoseLoseDrawLoseLoseLoseWinWin

Rank14 Blues Carlton 12 4 - 8 1239 1524 81 16 LoseWinWinLoseLoseLoseLoseLose

Rank15 Demons Melbourne 12 2 - 10 938 1245 75 8 LoseWinWinLoseLoseLoseLoseLose

Rank16 Tigers Richmond 12 1 1 10 1049 1348 78 6 WinLoseDrawLoseLoseLoseLoseLose

Hmm...AFL website ladder doesn't copy and paste too well. The thought was there though.

Edited by sceadugenga

Didak breaks silence

Collingwood star Alan Didak has committed to a strict set of guidelines - including a 1am curfew and alcohol ban - to continue his career with the club.

But his appearance before a packed media contingent at the Lexus Centre on Tuesday afternoon shed little light on his now infamous wild night out with alleged killer Christopher Wayne Hudson.

Didak was asked directly why he feared for his safety, whether he knew Hudson before their drunken night out at a King Street strip club in June and whether he feared retribution from the hel_l's Angels.

On each occasion, Collingwood chief executive officer Gary Pert who sat alongside Didak during the media conference, intervened and refused to allow Didak to respond.

Pert stressed that matters were still before the Victoria Police and, on the matter of whether Didak was concerned about his safety, he said there was "no value" in responding.

The reigning club best-and-fairest winner - who escaped suspension and sanction from the Magpie hierarchy - admitted his behaviour was 'reckless' and 'stupid'.

"Yes, I've learned from my mistakes and I want to move forward," he said.

"I've finally come to terms that basically I need to pull my head in and lead by example."

He has vowed to not attend nightclubs and committed to an alcohol ban, 1am curfew and alcohol counseling, though he told the media conference that he does not believe that he has an alcohol problem.

The strict rules will be enforced during the remainder of the 2007 season and the full 2008 season, but do not apply to the off-season.

Pert said a minder would not be employed to keep watch over the match-winning forward but that any breach of the new guidelines would lead to the severing of ties between Didak and the club.

"This is the most extreme measure put in place as a result of player behaviour that this club has ever put in place," Pert said.

"This is a long-term issue and it needs a long-term solution."

Cousins could face Lions

Former West Coast Eagles captain Ben Cousins could be back playing for his club as early as this Saturday night against the Brisbane Lions.

According to AFL Chief Executive Officer Andrew Demetriou, Cousins has ticked all the boxes thus far in his rehabilitation, and if he is given the all clear from the AFL's medical people later this week, he will be available for selection by the Eagles.

"The medical officers are seeing Ben Cousins on Thursday as I understand it, and they have organised for the independent assessment to be conducted on Friday," Demetriou said.

"They will advise us on their view on Friday afternoon and if he is given the green light by the medicos then he will be given permission to play."

"Then it is up to the West Coast Eagles as to whether they select Ben Cousins, whether they choose to select him for the Eagles or for a WAFL team which would be East Fremantle."

With clubs having to select their teams by 5pm on Thursday afternoon, Demetriou indicated that if the Eagles wanted Cousins to play against the Lions, they would have to go through a different selection process than the norm.

"I don't think they would select him for Thursday," Demetriou said.

"I think what they would do, if he is given the green light (by the medicos) on Friday and they choose to select him in either the WAFL or the AFL competition, they would notify us, and if they selected him in the AFL competition we would have to notify the Brisbane Lions."

Despite only being one small step from returning to the AFL, Cousins will be forced to conform to strict drug testing for the remainder of his career.

The 2005 Brownlow Medallist will not only be tested by the AFL and ASADA, but will also be tested by the Eagles, under supervision from the AFL.

"He will be target tested for the rest of his career, and he will be target tested regularly on a weekly basis by both the AFL and ASADA under the world anti doping code and he knows that," Demetriou said.

Does the AFL operate with separate rules for Victorian and non-Victorian clubs?

One player, never found guilty of an offence, but an admitted addict, gets suspended for 13+ rounds and the Vic press and many administrators call for him to be ousted for the whole season.

A Collingwood bad boy, rides around in a car with bikies while they shoot up (literally) police stations and doesn't even warrent one week off to think about his life choices.

Other players from other clubs get lengthy suspensions for nightclub brawls and attitude problems(Farmer, Tarrent, Fevola), but The mudpies best player carries on regardless!!

What do you think?

:o

As a West Coast supporter you're entitled to be pissed Old One, Personally I think the Didak affair won't finish there, and if any criminal charges are laid, particularly in regarding to gun use, I believe it could end his career. Sure Collingwood have gone to great lengths to bring in damage control, no less though than the Eagles who denied Cousins had a problem right up to where he went into rehab.

Roll models and responsibility to club and supporters aside, where Didak surely let his club down more than Cousins, I think the main worry with Cousins was that he used drugs to enhance his on field performance, and if he did then he got off lightly. In Olympic sports it would have been automatically assumed he did and he'd have been gone for a loooong time.

Our legal system says innocent until proven guilty, and neither player has been charged with an offence. Both consorted with criminals, for what else are people who sell drugs? And for that matter, who else but bikies supply illegal amphetamines in Australia?

What I'd like you to consider is, has Cousins benefited personally from the "suspension"? Do you think he should have played on and had rehab during the week? All those after game pressures? "Come and have a drink Benny, one won't hurt you?" Unfortunately being a great player doesn't require commonsense, and the Eagles have got a few like that.

Most if not all people involved in drug addiction treatment and counseling advise complete removal of the subject from their usual surroundings, and usually a lot longer than 6 months.

Western Bulldogs vs. Port Adelaide

1st 2nd 3rd Final

Western Bulldogs 4.4 6.9 12.11 17.12 (114)

Port Adelaide 5.3 8.5 11.7 17.9 (111)

4 goals by Tredrea, I hate losing (like all Port supporters) but at least they never gave up.

From ABC Online:

Connolly falls on his sword

Chris Connolly... his reign at Fremantle has come to an end. (SKY News)

Chris Connolly has quit as coach of the Fremantle Dockers after the club's horror start to the season.

The Dockers sit in 13th place on the ladder with just six wins from 15 games this year and need to win at least six of their last seven games to secure an unlikely finals berth.

The club's results have seen the pressure mount on Connolly and the final straw came with a four-point home defeat to the Kangaroos at the weekend.

"It (stepping aside now) was the right thing to do," he said.

"It will take away the dark storm clouds that are hanging over the club.''

Connolly revealed that the club's initial plan was to have him coach the Dockers for two more matches as part of a transition to a new coach, but the situation had become unworkable.

"The decision I felt yesterday afternoon is to move aside now. The club will go about its business this afternoon to find out who'll coach on match day," he said.

"The staff are all in place and hopefully it will take the dark cloud away and everyone can get on with focusing on their job - coaching, playing, administrating, whatever the case may be.

"That's the strategy that's put in place."

Connolly was in his sixth year at Fremantle and had coached them for 129 matches.

He was the club's longest serving coach.

He becomes the AFL's second coaching casualty this season, after Melbourne's Neale Daniher.

The Dockers play Adelaide at AAMI Stadium this Saturday with assistant coach Mark Harvey tipped to take on a caretaker role.

Yeh, Yeh, Yeh, Sceadugenga. Port crapped on the Eagles to the tune of 91 points!

I don't want to hear any more!!

Sorry, been playing tour guide, hardly time to turn computer on.

The Eagles have huge problems. You couldn't get money on them for the flag at the beginning of the season, now they would probably be a worthwhile bet.

The problem they have now is the younger players have lost confidence. They believe the "no Judd, no Eagles" line and they badly need a good win against a top side, which they are more than capable of, to get their season back together.

I'll show my confidence in them by picking them against their fellow grand finalists,equally devastated by injury, next week.

From ABC Online:

Connolly falls on his sword

Chris Connolly... his reign at Fremantle has come to an end. (SKY News)

Chris Connolly has quit as coach of the Fremantle Dockers after the club's horror start to the season.

The Dockers sit in 13th place on the ladder with just six wins from 15 games this year and need to win at least six of their last seven games to secure an unlikely finals berth.

The club's results have seen the pressure mount on Connolly and the final straw came with a four-point home defeat to the Kangaroos at the weekend.

"It (stepping aside now) was the right thing to do," he said.

"It will take away the dark storm clouds that are hanging over the club.''

Connolly revealed that the club's initial plan was to have him coach the Dockers for two more matches as part of a transition to a new coach, but the situation had become unworkable.

"The decision I felt yesterday afternoon is to move aside now. The club will go about its business this afternoon to find out who'll coach on match day," he said.

"The staff are all in place and hopefully it will take the dark cloud away and everyone can get on with focusing on their job - coaching, playing, administrating, whatever the case may be.

"That's the strategy that's put in place."

Connolly was in his sixth year at Fremantle and had coached them for 129 matches.

He was the club's longest serving coach.

He becomes the AFL's second coaching casualty this season, after Melbourne's Neale Daniher.

The Dockers play Adelaide at AAMI Stadium this Saturday with assistant coach Mark Harvey tipped to take on a caretaker role.

So who do reckon is waiting in the wings? Neil Craig came from nowhere to a good contract in Adelaide after similar circumstances. Unfortunately he can't follow his early success through with an aging side but Freo must be a plum job. That side has wasted its talent for too long.

Edited by sceadugenga

"For lovers of the greatest game on Earth"

table tennis? monopoly? sex?

Better late than never. Did it really take you six months to think that cutting remark up?

But isn,t it rather difficult to play tabletennis eating a pie and scratching your arse at the same time :o Nignoy

Yeh, Yeh, Yeh, Sceadugenga. Port crapped on the Eagles to the tune of 91 points!

The Eagles have huge problems. You couldn't get money on them for the flag at the beginning of the season, now they would probably be a worthwhile bet.

The problem they have now is the younger players have lost confidence. They believe the "no Judd, no Eagles" line and they badly need a good win against a top side, which they are more than capable of, to get their season back together.

I'll show my confidence in them by picking them against their fellow grand finalists,equally devastated by injury, next week.

Stenglien, Hansen, Kerr and YES, COUSINS back this week against Sydney.

The other big news in Perth tonight - Jeff Farmer in the shit again! He has been charged after damaging a car while pissed at the casino at about midnight. He may have played his last game this time!

Edited by Old Croc

Stenglien, Hansen, Kerr and YES, COUSINS back this week against Sydney.

The other big news in Perth tonight - Jeff Farmer in the shit again! He has been charged after damaging a car while pissed at the casino at about midnight. He may have played his last game this time!

Tragic. So much talent wasted.

As a West Coast supporter you're entitled to be pissed Old One, Personally I think the Didak affair won't finish there, and if any criminal charges are laid, particularly in regarding to gun use, I believe it could end his career. Sure Collingwood have gone to great lengths to bring in damage control, no less though than the Eagles who denied Cousins had a problem right up to where he went into rehab.

Roll models and responsibility to club and supporters aside, where Didak surely let his club down more than Cousins, I think the main worry with Cousins was that he used drugs to enhance his on field performance, and if he did then he got off lightly. In Olympic sports it would have been automatically assumed he did and he'd have been gone for a loooong time.

Our legal system says innocent until proven guilty, and neither player has been charged with an offence. Both consorted with criminals, for what else are people who sell drugs? And for that matter, who else but bikies supply illegal amphetamines in Australia?

What I'd like you to consider is, has Cousins benefited personally from the "suspension"? Do you think he should have played on and had rehab during the week? All those after game pressures? "Come and have a drink Benny, one won't hurt you?" Unfortunately being a great player doesn't require commonsense, and the Eagles have got a few like that.

Most if not all people involved in drug addiction treatment and counseling advise complete removal of the subject from their usual surroundings, and usually a lot longer than 6 months.

I think what pisses us of in the West is the amount of attention given to Non Vic club players for off field behaviour.....they just dont let up on the players here....

Some others in trouble in recent times....Voss, Fevola, Gehrig to name a few...Players from other clubs get into trouble as well. We just dont hear about it as much or as often.

To answer some of your other points,

There was no proof that Cousins used performance enhancing drugs, and he has never failed a urine test for any illegal drugs. I think Cuz has benefitted from his time out...he may realise that he is not bigger than the game...something that happens when a player is given star status at a young age in many sports. He also knows that for the rest of his career he will have the most restrictions ever placed on a player before in the games history.

Yes, our teams here have had some players with problems off field.....every team has their Farmer's, Lynch's, Embley's, Cousin's etc... We also have have our Judd's, Wirrapunda's, Braun's, Bell's etc who spend time promoting the game and helping youngsters in the games development...maybe the press could give some time to these players who have a positive impact on the game.

Consorting with crims....I noticed a few WC players at the Danny Green fight the other night...I can assure you that some of our more notable crims were there as well as a few bikies. Should these players be castigated because they happen to enjoy the same pursuits as these other guys?

Bikies are not the only makers and suppliers of amphetamines in Australia and not all bikies are involved in the drug trade. In my time as a Court Officer I have seen many people from many backgrounds in court on sell and supply/manufacture charges...only a small percetage were bikies.