Majority of people doubt govt ability to control marijuana use: poll

snoop1130

Majority of people doubt govt ability to control marijuana use: poll

By The Nation

800_04a7d79a3e10e32.jpeg

Photo by: Bangkokbiznews

A majority of people surveyed recently were sceptical of the government’s ability to exercise strict control over marijuana use and plantation.

Only 9 per cent of the Nida Poll respondents believed the government would be successful in controlling marijuana use and plantation.

The poll showed that nearly 48 per cent of respondents had read sometimes about the government’s cannabis policy.

Of the 1,257 respondents, 17.50 per cent said they followed up on the topic but nearly 35 per cent had no interest in the subject.

The survey held on July 24 showed that 49 per cent “quite believe” that marijuana could cure diseases. Around 23 per cent said they seriously believed in marijuana as a medical option, while only around 9 per cent were unconvinced.

Experts working in medical fields have said the government should allow the use of medical marijuana. About 65 per cent of respondents say physicians should be given permission to prescribe medical marijuana but 4.67 per cent were against such prescriptions.

Among respondents who kept themselves updated with the news, around 83 per cent believed that marijuana could contribute to medical research and treat symptoms while 16 per cent of respondents believed  that marijuana could be produced as a legal product and generate extra earning for people.

Responding to the proposal to allow six marijuana pots per household, about 40 per cent of respondents strongly opposed the policy while about 25 per cent were in agreement.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30373603

logo2.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand  2019-07-24

3 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

Responding to the proposal to allow six marijuana pots per household, about 40 per cent of respondents strongly opposed the policy while about 25 per cent were in agreement.

Seems weird that most people polled had a more or less positive view of cannabis but kind of draw the line at allowing households to have 6 plants. 

It kind of speaks to how people trust the government, which is a mistake IMO. 

I wonder if the people would have the same view about brewing beer at home. 

6 Plants can provide quite alot of weed for a household. 

If everyone's allowed 6 pots for the family personal use then I would expect to see the traffic moving even more slowly. Can you imagine a dramatic decline in the road toll caused by slow stoned drivers cruising along without a care in the world as a smokey haze drifts from their windows. Will we see the day? 

1 hour ago, pokerface1 said:

If everyone's allowed 6 pots for the family personal use then I would expect to see the traffic moving even more slowly. Can you imagine a dramatic decline in the road toll caused by slow stoned drivers cruising along without a care in the world as a smokey haze drifts from their windows. Will we see the day? 

No, they'll be fast stoned drivers. Still crashing. 

Nope, all those cars will be parked at McDonald's! 

The control of alcohol use would be a much more worthy concern. It kills and contributes to a lot of violent and really stupid behaviour,

Cannabis does not have the same effect mentally, doesn't destroy one's liver, and doesn't create nasty drunks. We've all known people who fall into the "Instant a-hole, just add alcohol" category, but somebody feeling the effects of cannabis will be nicely laid back and not at all interested in fighting. 

By now, everybody knows this, so let's stop the BS and get on with global legalization. 

2 hours ago, nickstav said:

I just wish they would stop putting arousing pictures at the beginnings of these articles.

LOL 

Looks very similar to my garden in Canada, but my leaves are a bit wider as the strains I grow are mostly Indica for faster flowering times. The stuff in that lovely picture is mostly Sativa and can be nicely potent but not good for the relatively short flowering time we get here. 

Why would the government WANT to control it?

Once you have “Doctors” who will prescribe it to almost any one for stress etc anybody can get it.
That is how it started in California. I think it would soon be legalized fedarlly if we had a different pres.
It is easy to grow indoors and would probably do well almost anywhere in Thailand outdoors as well.
It can be a draw for tourism and retirement seniors as well.

Will old seeds from the 1980s germinate.

Thailand, Hub of “Thai Stick”

4 minutes ago, nickstav said:

I'm going to have to make peace with the family on the farm. Damn!

Looks like you're going to have to gather them around and smoke a few peace pipes and when you're finished mull up again and smoke a few more and that should do it.

7 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Looks like you're going to have to gather them around and smoke a few peace pipes and when you're finished mull up again and smoke a few more and that should do it.

I'll have to throw in about a dozen bottles of Lao Khao.

9 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Experts working in medical fields have said the government should allow the use of medical marijuana. About 65 per cent of respondents say physicians should be given permission to prescribe medical marijuana but 4.67 per cent were against such prescriptions.

This is encouraging, IMO. When under 5% of the polled population are against prescribing cannabis, that says a lot. It's basically accepted by 95% of the people, so get on with making it openly available. 

Canada was the first country to allow the legal use of medical cannabis nation-wide in 2001, and not much seemed to happen in other places for a while, but now the snowball is gaining momentum and things could get going quickly to bring a little more civilization to the world. 

Fingers crossed. 

10 hours ago, Thainesss said:

Seems weird that most people polled had a more or less positive view of cannabis but kind of draw the line at allowing households to have 6 plants. 

It kind of speaks to how people trust the government, which is a mistake IMO. 

I wonder if the people would have the same view about brewing beer at home. 

6 Plants can provide quite alot of weed for a household. 

I had better get another 5 planted then!   LOL

5 hours ago, Inn Between said:

The control of alcohol use would be a much more worthy concern. It kills and contributes to a lot of violent and really stupid behaviour,

Cannabis does not have the same effect mentally, doesn't destroy one's liver, and doesn't create nasty drunks. We've all known people who fall into the "Instant a-hole, just add alcohol" category, but somebody feeling the effects of cannabis will be nicely laid back and not at all interested in fighting. 

By now, everybody knows this, so let's stop the BS and get on with global legalization. 

Let them dope up their kids the American way. Let Thailand's youth sit on Mom's couch for the next 20 years until she dies, all doped up, unmotivated, and uneducated. Who wants to grow up anyway. It's better to lay around playing video games while mom cooks, cleans, and does my laundry. To hell with getting an education, job and a wife. Legalization is working out for America, why not Thailand? When the parents pass away they can find a life on the streets. Nothing wrong with living in a tent, pooping on the sidewalk, and getting free needles. It's all working out for Los Angeles.

image2.jpg

Aaah! - another "revelation" by the 1250-member NIDA Club!

Probably true in this case.  Given Thailand's reputation for its flourishing corruption there is NO WAY they'll keep the criminal element out of this.  We'll see 2 markets, the guvvy one and the black market one and my money is on them both blending into each other. - - Lots of money for "some" !

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

A majority of people surveyed recently were sceptical of the government’s ability to exercise strict control over marijuana use and plantation.

Count me in.... when the government say every household can earn money I see the doors open to all kinds of corruption. This is a can of worms that really doesn't want the lid taking off !

11 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Count me in.... when the government say every household can earn money I see the doors open to all kinds of corruption. This is a can of worms that really doesn't want the lid taking off !

Worms are really good for the soil and you really want as many as you can get.

I was actually finding  it hard to picture how the corruption would come into it when everyone was growing it I ended up concluding that it would have the opposite effect.Interested to hear other people's take on this. 

16 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Seems like a fair assumpition. Does that mean it´s just going to be another thing added to all the other things they can´t control?

Looks that way, doesn't it?

The War on Drugs has been lost... a negotiated settlement is in progress.

40 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Worms are really good for the soil and you really want as many as you can get.

I was actually finding  it hard to picture how the corruption would come into it when everyone was growing it I ended up concluding that it would have the opposite effect.Interested to hear other people's take on this. 

I don't think it's going to have a drastic effect either way. If you're a local and you want to grow it you probably already are. The only way you're going to get caught out in the sticks is if somebody has a grudge against you and snitches. My friend back home planted a small plot with sunflowers that grew to about 10 feet tall. Mixed in with them was his real crop. 

And the worms ate into his brain.

Archived