Overseas Thai workers unable to pay debts back home due to baht plunge

webfact

18 hours ago, Angry Dragon said:

what is the baht's rightful place?  the big mac index still puts it over 30% undervalued against the USD and 6% undervalued against the pound.  Thailand runs a large current account surplus (US and UK run huge deficits).  Thailand has a smaller budget deficit.  What metrics can you cite that shows the THB is overvalued?  My guess is most people complain about the currency rates because they simply wish for a better rate for their currencies, and maybe if they complain enough their wishes will come true.

Valid post and I agree.

I do like the Big Mac index.

In Canada a Big Mac costs USD$5.08

In Thailand a Big Mac costs USD$3.72.

There is no doubt the baht will weaken at some point and everyone in Thailand will be happy again....unless you earn money in Thai baht...in which case you are pretty happy about now.

2 minutes ago, DLock said:

Valid post and I agree.

I do like the Big Mac index.

In Canada a Big Mac costs USD$5.08

In Thailand a Big Mac costs USD$3.72.

There is no doubt the baht will weaken at some point and everyone in Thailand will be happy again....unless you earn money in Thai baht...in which case you are pretty happy about now.

????

• Like 1

2 hours ago, frozenpuck said:

- Overseas Thai workers unable to pay debts back home due to baht plunge -

Its not due to the Baht plunging, its due to it RISING. And the 22 baht exchange is Canadian dollar not US. Just a couple of minor typos  geeez.

Yep i wish it was the baht plunging, its rising & rising is turning tourists to look for more affordable destinations yet the powers that be still dont get it!.....AMAZING THAILAND

USD now 30.97 on Baht.  Obviously author got it wrong.  Looney down.  Those ladies shoulda worked in US.  Just book a flight to Mexico City, bus up to the border, and simply walk across.  All funded be George Soros and the DNC.  Hurry though, border will close soon, I hope.

• Confused 1

Plunge????? What "Plunge"? The Baht has grown too strong therefore reducing the value of other currencies. I used to get 1,100,000Baht for £20,000 GBP. Now I cannot get the 800,000 for my extension, currently 760,000 Baht for £20,000. 340,000 loss which my family and I feel very much. 

On 7/25/2019 at 3:29 PM, Misterwhisper said:

Is this a case of serious misreporting by The Nation?

I have just looked up the USD:THB exchange rate and it is 30.86 THB for 1 USD. Or are they talking about the CAD, which stands at 23.49.

Not at Krungsri bank. Always depends where you exchange yor money. Bangkok Bsnk gives the best of the worst Xchange rate IMHO

Thai currency is not to serve the Thai economy or the Thai people.....the Thai Bhat has been rated by a bunch of corrupt few to solely serve the interests of the superRich in Thailand who massively are investing abroad and taking out all their cash. At one point it will crash, if debut accumulates amongst the masses and entire Thailand will suffer and loose lot of money.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/25/2019 at 9:49 AM, Laza 45 said:

They got it backwards.. the depreciated value of the $Can.. Aussie & UK pound is why she is getting less for her bucks.. same problem all us expats from those countries have... 

Both (baht: up, EVERYTHING else: down), one of which I believe is being massaged.

Edited by daveAustin

38 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

Both (baht: up, EVERYTHING else: down), one of which I believe is being massaged.

It is very strange. Looking at various currency charts the ฿ really started getting stronger against all other currencies in 2016. It's almost as if someone or group, that were all powerful, came into a lot of ฿ at that time and pressed to have it gain value so it could be converted to currencies of more stable countries or commodities. 

On 7/26/2019 at 12:32 PM, Rookiescot said:

She should look on the bright side.

At least the Canadian government does not insist she keeps 800k in a Canadian bank and has to report to Canadian immigration every 90 days.

And a TM 30 and and and