Tubeless Tyre Deflating

Hi

I've a Honda MSX with tubeless tyres.

The rear tyre, over the period of around a week, will lose around 20psi.

I'd like to get the tyre repaired at an MC repair shop. Is this possible or will they try to sell me a new tyre?

BTW, I'm in Bkk out near the old airport.

IMG_20190725_151918.jpg

2 minutes ago, somchaismith said:

Is this possible or will they try to sell me a new tyre?

Yes its possible...    just tell them to fix the puncture..but if there is damage to the side wall its advisable to get a new one

they are not expensive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, SteveK said:

I've got the same problem on a Honda wave, back tyre deflates from 36psi to about 18 psi over 2-3 days but deflates no further. Very odd.

Try replacing the Schrader valve (if you can get one). That might fix your problem. But bear in mind that tubed tyres here are very porous. I have to top mine up every week.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's relatively easy to check where the air is escaping by putting the wheel under water. Then just plug the hole. If it's the valve the replace that. Worst case as mentioned just get a new tire, they are not so super expensive for an MSX. And as also mentioned that chain really needs some care, do you ever clean and lube it?

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, stubuzz said:

From the look of the cracks along the grooves in the tyre, it due for replacement. My Tyres last between 18-24 months before cracking and lifting.

I see that now. I'l purchase a rear tyre off of Shopee and get a repair shop to install it on the bike for me.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

Try replacing the Schrader valve (if you can get one). That might fix your problem. But bear in mind that tubed tyres here are very porous. I have to top mine up every week.

I plan to purchase this rear tyre: 130/70-12. Shall I assume it comes complete with  a Schrader valve?

IMG_20190725_174859.JPG

Edited by somchaismith

1 hour ago, eisfeld said:

It's relatively easy to check where the air is escaping by putting the wheel under water. Then just plug the hole. If it's the valve the replace that. Worst case as mentioned just get a new tire, they are not so super expensive for an MSX. And as also mentioned that chain really needs some care, do you ever clean and lube it?

I would have to take the wheel  off of the bike first, right?

Edited by somchaismith

5 minutes ago, somchaismith said:

I plan to purchase this rear tyre: 130/70-12. Shall I assume it comes complete with  a Schrader valve?

IMG_20190725_174859.JPG

Well, I was actually responding to a query by @SteveK regarding his Wave. But as you ask ????

The tyre itself, being tubeless does not have a valve. It is fitted to the rim. But when you get the tyre fitted to your M/C make sure that they fit a new valve. A competent tyre fitter should do this for you without being prompted.

Good luck and safe riding.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Well, I was actually responding to a query by @SteveK regarding his Wave. But as you ask ????

The tyre itself, being tubeless does not have a valve. It is fitted to the rim. But when you get the tyre fitted to your M/C make sure that they fit a new valve. A competent tyre fitter should do this for you without being prompted.

Good luck and safe riding.

Thanks for the advice. 

Does the new tyre come with a valve or without a valve?

*Okay, I reread what you wrote.

Edited by somchaismith
Not properly reading.
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Moonlover said:

... But bear in mind that tubed tyres here are very porous. I have to top mine up every week.

I had the same problem in the U.S. with simple cargo hand trucks.  The made-in-China ones would hardly hold air.  The made-in-USA one will hold air for ages.  Wish I knew where to get the good tubes.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, somchaismith said:

I would have to take the wheel  off of the bike first, right?

No, you can get a little plastic tub or whatever big enough to hold the water and then place the rear of the bike into it. Then spin it slowly.

Though it might not guarantee that you can find the leak that way. If the leak is very small and maybe only actually lets air out when there is load on the tire, if you hit a bump or whatever then you might not see any air escaping with this method.

Regarding getting a new tire: I would stick with well known brands and not go for the cheapest China ware. You will have to pay about 3k THB for a pair front and back from Michaelin or Pirelli. If you consider that you'll change the tire every 2-3 years, that's not too much and tires are one of the most important things when it comes to motorcycle safety.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...