Will visit the US soon; should I pack heat?

Kelsall

This is ridiculous.  I lived most of my life in the USA and at one time had a concealed carry permit.  The majority of the USA is safe.  There are far more murders in the USA with hammers than firearms.  Like any country there are places to avoid.  In Los Angeles avoid the Watts area.  In New York stay away from most of Queens and Harlem.  If you are in downtown Manhattan you are fine.  The worst that may happen to you is a pickpocket.  Chicago gets lots of bad press.  All of the problems in Chicago are for the most part South Chicago.  One thing that does not get reported is that almost all of the violence is gang and drug related.  So, stay out of those areas where drug dealers are pushing.  Stay in the tourist areas and avoid traveling alone particularly at night.  

'Packing Heat'...is this some weird flashback to a 1980's cop show?

I don't own a gun, and in fact never seen anyone else with a gun.

Then again, I don't live in an inner city area with gangs or drugs.

To the OP, stick to Disneyland and don't go trying to score drugs and you'll be fine, with or without 'heat' lol

I not only carry. I refuse to go to any state that prohibits me from carrying.  I spend my money in free states.

I have a concealed handgun permit that is valid in 36 states. The others are mainly liberal states that I have no reason to go to anyway.

On 7/26/2019 at 3:25 AM, Gumballl said:

With the flight(s) from Thailand to the US being so long, and then with your other flights, you may indeed want to pack some serious heat. For example this:

Regular-patch-169x261.jpg

Beat me to it, though I was going to suggest they just pick some up there if have muscle issues as pretty sure it can still be bought in the Good Ole...

A PND (Personal Nuclear Device) and assured mutual destruction  should provide all the necessary deterrent towards any crime committed towards you. 

A mugger approaches you and asks for your wallet?

BOOM!!!..................

"... How about you?  When you are in the US, do you carry?  I'll be in LA, Chicago, and NYC. ..."

I very rarely carry, except if I have to go downtown after dark.  My son carries all the time.  We both have concealed carry permits for Virginia, and they are good in a few other states.  You could get in a heap of trouble in LA, Chicago, NYC, Washington D.C, Maryland and Massachusetts (and some other places) if you get caught carrying or even with a firearm in the trunk.  We can transit these places en route to other states, but that's about all.  Stop for fuel or food and it's risky.

When I do carry, it's the 9mm Browning Hi-Power in the center of this pic, unless I were to borrow my son's small .38 revolver.

image.gif.d387ad06315c8134cd28897f06b4165b.gif

In my state, open carry is legal.  Next time I go to the bank, I'll ask a teller if they see customers open carrying in the bank.  40 years ago in Nan province, I went to a bank to help Lao refugees deposit money sent by relatives in the U.S..  There was a soldier guarding the lobby with a Hecker & Koch 7.62 G3 battle rifle. I admired his weapon and he promptly removed the magazine and handed the rifle to me to check out.  Awkward, to say the least.

That's the thing about being an ex-pat, living with an internet cable shoved up yer butt.  You get a concentrated feed of breathless "reporting" from revenue based drama merchants.  Because, obviously, normal/boring life isn't interesting, or lucrative.  So you're forgiven for thinking the entire country is coming apart at the seams, and that you might wanna pack.   Been there done that.

I'm in the US now, 17 miles from the Mexico/Baja border.  Haven't been run over by an illegal alien yet, although one tried to sell me an ice cream at the beach the other day - which was annoying and discouraging for other reasons, but that's another subject.  Haven't been attacked by gang members or accosted by a rogue cop.  Although I did get the evil eye the other day exercising out at the lake, from an angry looking 40-something year old female wearing a shirt with "Feminst AF!" emblazoned on the front.  She noticed me noticing the shirt as we passed each other on the jogging path, her scowling face and eyes eyes on me like a laser beam.   I gave it fair odds SHE was packing heat, and that hers was bigger than mine.  With an extended capacity magazine full of foul mouthed ammo, and an itchy trigger finger.  "Come on Mr. Man, say something.  Anything! I DARE YOU!" ????

Archived