Has anyone tried switching to Vegetarian food for 2 weeks?

BurgerGung

Just now, BobBKK said:

Errrrm you don't get the sarcasm???

If your friend was an alcoholic and you are not would the same thinking apply?  You have a drink he doesn't... you go to his house and expect him to make you a drink? 

Obviously, you don't understand sarcasm yourself :cheesy:

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Joe Mcseismic said:

Obviously, you don't understand sarcasm yourself :cheesy:

Hmmm  ????  anyway to wrap up most of my friends are meat eaters and I am not a preacher but, as Robolok knows, I will defend the position and stick up for defenseless animals whose life, frankly, is a living hell.

8 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

Errrrm you don't get the sarcasm???   the "LOL" doesn't give it away?  the "best to last"?  no?  ok...

If your friend was an alcoholic and you are not would the same thinking apply?  You have a drink he doesn't... you go to his house and expect him to make you a drink? 

Bit like asking a Moslim friend to make you a pork sandwich. Not really clued in to your friends. I have no problem with vegans at all. I havent met many might be a bit challenging to eat out but then again I have no problem to eat no meat in a meal. 

I spend time in India a bit and there the standard option is veg. Some restaurants are veg / non veg. Most of the time I just go with the flow because the people I am with are vegetarians mostly unless some else orders a non veg dish. I don't make a song and dance of it. Veg tastes good. Non veg tastes good.  Indians eat a lot of potatoes and paneer so your get the denseness and mouth feel from those types of ingredients.

Salads with nuts are fine for me but I need to have a good dressing to make it tasty. I'm just as happy murdering a steak.

I could never imagine considering being vegan. More power to them but it would be a royal pain to remember what is vegan. It would be time consuming and expensive to source vegan food and then it takes more prep time (I assume) to get something tasting good. Fat is flavour; whether it is animal fat or fats from milk.

And as an aside, veg dishes does not necessarily mean healthy. Check ingredients and often they may be loaded with sodium and sugars to get some flavour.

One problem of being a vegan is that certain minerals/vitamins that your body needs are not found in plant-based foods.  You must take supplements.  If you are a vegetarian, then it is possible to find these missing minerals in dairy products.

Likewise, a 100% meat diet will see you missing out on required minerals/vitamins that are only found in plant-based foods.

Hence the need to have a 'non-extremist' diet. Neither vegan nor 100% meat.

I'm not talking 'off the top of my head' here - I teach Human Digestion and Healthy Eating to high school students ????

2 minutes ago, simon43 said:

One problem of being a vegan is that certain minerals/vitamins that your body needs are not found in plant-based foods.  You must take supplements.  If you are a vegetarian, then it is possible to find these missing minerals in dairy products.

Likewise, a 100% meat diet will see you missing out on required minerals/vitamins that are only found in plant-based foods.

Hence the need to have a 'non-extremist' diet. Neither vegan nor 100% meat.

I'm not talking 'off the top of my head' here - I teach Human Digestion and Healthy Eating to high school students ????

In other words, the best diet for humans is omnivorous.........which is exactly what nature designed us to be.

On 7/27/2019 at 12:13 PM, BurgerGung said:

I've been eating lots of raw peanuts (BIG C sells 500 grams for 43 and 44 Baht). They stimulate regularity and fill you up nicely. Hope this will help someone wanting to lose weight.

hahaha   lose weight by eating peanuts....

1 hour ago, murraynz said:

ive been a vegetarian all my life..im 68yrs old, also never smoked and very healthy..

im not 100% vegetarian, though... i eat bacon/ham, mince and sausages --never eaten pork, beef, lamb, steak etc..nor chicken...

when i was very young, people couldnt accept that i could survive without eating meat.

ive proved that theory wrong..

ive even farmed beef and pigs, also many years as a poultry farmer...egg producer, but still wouldnt eat chicken...

the main problem with being a vegetarian is when eating out at restaurants-sometimes, its difficult to find a decent meal..

i also hate the smell of meat--

??

Brilliant.

You eat bacon, ham and sausages then you say you have never eaten pork?

Anyway, many people I know vegetarian are fat.

It can be a carbohydrate laden diet and very unhealthy. Beans, rice, pastas, on and on all raising blood sugar.

A lean Keto diet is much better I think at least it keeps me lean and mean at 65.

16 minutes ago, ianezy0 said:

What type of raw veggies?

I'm the first to say that raw veg can be rather boring!  I eat a salad every day ==> green lettuce, spinach, tomatoes, carrots, sometimes cucumbers.  I pour keffir yogurt on it to make it tastier...

I tried it for 3 months at the start of this year. No meat but I did eat fish and other sea food.

I did OK and made a lot of nice dishes. Makro happened to be going through promotions on prawns and salmon for quite a few weeks so that was good.

19 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

In other words, the best diet for humans is omnivorous.........which is exactly what nature designed us to be.

I agree but too much meat is certainly  not good. Omnivorous diet is better then vegan is the truth. But there certainly are bad omnivorous diets and bad vegan diets. It all depends what else you eat. I eat plenty of fruits and vegetables and some meat. Dairy too I tolerate it well as a Dutch guy brought up with dairy. 

Kefir is nice use I take it, sometimes buy salads at Jones salad. I just try to not eat too many overly processed foods. Prepare my food myself eat whole wheat and unprocessed carbs. 

A typical bad diet would be loads of meat and fat and no veggies. 

6 minutes ago, simon43 said:

I'm the first to say that raw veg can be rather boring!  I eat a salad every day ==> green lettuce, spinach, tomatoes, carrots, sometimes cucumbers.  I pour keffir yogurt on it to make it tastier...

It might be boring but its healthy. I boring too but it helps me lose fat build muscle. A good diet is important if you exercise. If you want to see results that is. 

1 minute ago, robblok said:

It might be boring but its healthy. I boring too but it helps me lose fat build muscle. A good diet is important if you exercise. If you want to see results that is. 

Actually, I should say that I used to find it boring.  Now my taste-buds have got used to it and I find it quite palatable.  I have also grown two long furry ears and a little bobtail ????

i'm going the other way  :  

Foods to Eat on the Paleo Diet

Meat: Beef, lamb, chicken, turkey, pork and others.

Fish and seafood: Salmon, trout, haddock, shrimp, shellfish, etc. ...

Eggs: Choose free-range, pastured or omega-3 enriched eggs.

Vegetables: Broccoli, kale, peppers, onions, carrots, tomatoes, etc.

not STRICT mind you.  but lots more energy than before.   Betagro chicken and pork  not expensive and

supposed to be hormone and antibiotic free

7 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Actually, I should say that I used to find it boring.  Now my taste-buds have got used to it and I find it quite palatable.  I have also grown two long furry ears and a little bobtail ????

Actually that is what happens after a while i no longer crave the bad foods anymore. I am perfectly happy with what I eat. But I could if I wanted eat the "bad" foods once in a while to be social. 

Last year because of sickness i let go a bit gained weight now its all gone and more. So now I am pushing to levels of leanness and muscles that I havent seen before. Even gone so far to add regular cardio exercise to my weight lifting. I step on my cross trainer after having some water or tea for 25 minutes most mornings. Might increase it but for now just increasing intensity.  but doing it around 6 times a week and lifting weights around the same amount of times, combined with healthy diet seems to pay off. 

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned it but each of us has to eat for their genetic type/blood group, there is no one diet suits all! Blood type A can adapt to vegan, I am type B - I need meat - no getting around it, no matter how much BS is written of the health benefits of veggies!

6 minutes ago, CGW said:

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned it but each of us has to eat for their genetic type/blood group, there is no one diet suits all! Blood type A can adapt to vegan, I am type B - I need meat - no getting around it, no matter how much BS is written of the health benefits of veggies!

Maybe because it has been debunked

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/01/140115172246.htm

35 minutes ago, simon43 said:

I am not vegetarian but I don’t mind eating raw veggies. Ate them a lot in Australia: cauliflower, kale (juiced), carrots, cabbage, celery etc.

Salad sandwich is a favourite. That’s why I asked because the raw, edible veggie choice seems limited.

As an aside, I am repeating a water fast that I did 15 months ago. 14 days. I didn’t do it for the weight, but I obviously lost a lot, it was more for health. Amazing results. Cheers

I have been vegan for 13 years.

Most people are misinformed about nutrition, because of extensive spending by vested interests:

https://www.drmcdougall.com/

Thinking, feeling, animals do not want to be treated as commodities.

https://www.dominionmovement.com/

Animal products have a much higher environmental impact.

https://www.footprintnetwork.org/resources/footprint-calculator/

I spend less. On food, products, medicine.

Now you know - I wish someone had told me - I had to discover it for myself.

47 minutes ago, CGW said:

To you maybe? based on one article by a arab doctor at a medical institute, your easily convinced :wink:

I could post many articles to back up what I stated, but it appears you have made up your mind.

Bye

I can find other articles where its busted.. so yea in my mind its convincing evidence. I am someone who has a lot of experience with diet and health and weight loss so I like to read up onto stuff.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/the-blood-type-diet-review#section3

Having said that I am convince that everyone is a bit different and not everything works the same for everyone. But that its based on blood type is just crazy. 

Has anyone tried switching to Vegetarian food for 2 weeks?

Tried switching for 2+ years – it's possible, and not as bad as it sounds – but I love good meat, and also enjoy to dine without meat. Perfer less meat for better quality meat, and rather no meat, than low quality meat.

In general, rather it less, but higher quality, both vegetables and anything else...????

Vegans and vegetarians should never try to claim the moral ground because the fact is that growing vegetables, grains and fruit on an economic scale to feed the billions of people necessitates killing animals, billions and billions of animals each year. In Australia there are mice, rats, deer, possums, birds, kangaroos and emus shot and poisoned to protect crops. No doubt in Asia, Africa, the Americas and Europe they have to kill different types of animals to protect their crops and livelihoods.  Then there are the ‘gazillions’ of insects killed with pesticides.  I therefore don’t accept any claim that vegetarianism or veganism does not involve killing animals - it clearly does on a massive scale - nor do I accept that poisoning or gassing an animal is less cruel than an animal properly butchered.

A second point is that large scale, economic cropping has a massive adverse environmental impact with soil loss and degregation, land clearing, synthetic pesticides and fertilisers, petrol/diesel/oils used in equipment to plough, harvest, transport, process, and electricity (from coal, oil, etc) to power processing plants and freezers and manufacture the equipment used. This is obviously in addition to the environmental impact of large scale killing of insects and animals (contributing towards to the extinction of some).

There is absolutely no moral high ground for vegans or vegetarians.  The simple fact is that living on this planet has an impact and that needs to be recognised.

We should accept our differences.

1 hour ago, CGW said:

Lol I'm B and vegetarian since birth. Absolute lies. Diet is a choice.

I let everybody eat what they want and dont judge. But dont say that you physically need it. It's a mental thing. 

Archived