Irish PM says hard Brexit would raise issue of Irish unification

rooster59

On 7/28/2019 at 9:37 AM, lemonjelly said:

Scotland breaking away from the UK, the Irish troubles kicking off again; that pleb Farage will be sitting in some gentrified rural pub lecturing scared old folk on how none of it was his fault when it all goes horribly wrong.

No, he will be living on the continent, his business interests are in Ireland, his kids have German passports and his mistress is French.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Bluespunk is Irish. Sad how Ireland was treated in the past for sure. But Ireland has been treated very favorably since WW11.

I despair when I read many social media comments on various sites that display an unwarranted and frankly unacceptable amount of racist, bigoted, nasty comments. Some are English, some Scottish, some Welsh and some Irish. There is a growth of hatred it seems in all regions. Which suggest, among other things, that the education system in the UK is failing. The age split is also quite worrying. Many of the Scots I see are such comments from are often young university educated people who display Celtic and racist slogans openly on their sites. 

Unless government, national, regional and local start to seriously address these issues, the future looks potentially very dangerous. Those politicians currently seeking to benefit from fueling such divisive behavior need to be dealt with seriously. 

The division of Ireland is artificial, it is one country and should be reunited whatever happens. It would be a shame if Scotland left but that is up to its people, we've been together through thick and thin since 1707, those are bonds that aren't so easily broken.

1 hour ago, RuamRudy said:

ou questioned in one of your earlier rants on this thread why Scots want independence - I suggest you read all you posts again from a more objective standpoint. Notice how they are dripping in unwarranted arrogance and a thinly veiled contempt for your fellow countrymen and your neighbours. And then you say we are better together?

I didn't say I liked all of them 

5 hours ago, soalbundy said:

The division of Ireland is artificial, it is one country and should be reunited whatever happens. It would be a shame if Scotland left but that is up to its people, we've been together through thick and thin since 1707, those are bonds that aren't so easily broken.

Aren't all borders artificial, i.e. man made? Maybe England, Scotland and Wales should all become one country, and we could call it.....Great Britain? ????

19 hours ago, sotonowl said:

What a load of rubbish, do a bit of research before you start spouting <deleted>

I did, hence my follow up post, which I will repeat for your benefit:

Remember how Brexiters said Irish border wasn’t a problem? 

Boris Johnson, Arlene Foster and other Brexiters dismissed concerns about Irish border out of hand during referendum. The wilful ignorance is breathtaking.

Former prime ministers John Major and Tony Blair, who had done so much to bring peace to Northern Ireland, tried to warn about the dangers of Brexit in 2016. But the Leave campaign drowned them out.

5 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:
22 hours ago, 7by7 said:

Yes, and they said it because it's true

It obviously is, and has been for the last three years; no matter how much you Brexiteers deny it.

Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, no matter how much you lot wish it were!

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

It obviously is, and has been for the last three years; no matter how much you Brexiteers deny it.

Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, no matter how much you lot wish it were!

The issues and situation  is a lot bigger than the Irish border , that is just a side issue (Yes, bomb us again all you like )

• Like 1

1 hour ago, evadgib said:

They wouldn't dare...

image.jpeg.8b1cc580deae6ce141a2b9492029067e.jpeg

You really must keep up with current events. Maybe it's not being reported on the media you access, or maybe your perception filters screen it out; but dissident republicans have been 'daring' for some time!

Timeline of dissident republican activity

New IRA: The Derry estate in the shadow of paramilitaries

A makeshift sign

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

What an extraordinary comment. It seems that from your safe haven you don't care about innocents being murdered.

That was in reply to the numerous "threats" here on TV that the IRA would begin bombing again , if the Remainers dont get their own way

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BobBKK said:

Give them back their nation and good riddance. Kills two birdies with one stone.

The nation which the majority of the people of Northern Ireland wish to belong to is the UK.

As part of the Good Friday agreement, both the UK and RoI governments agreed that Northern Ireland would remain part of the UK until and unless the majority there wished otherwise. Even Sinn Fein/IRA agreed to that.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, sanemax said:
10 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

What an extraordinary comment. It seems that from your safe haven you don't care about innocents being murdered.

That was in reply to the numerous "threats" here on TV that the IRA would begin bombing again , if the Remainers dont get their own way

You said 

12 hours ago, sanemax said:

(Yes, bomb us again all you like )

Let others decide.

But, as said, you have obviously not noticed that the attacks by the 'New' IRA has increased, with some, so far minor, attacks in England.

Force Northern Ireland into the Republic against their will and how do you think Unionist terrorists will react?

Doesn't that concern you?

It concerns most people, Brexiteer or Remainer.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 7by7 said:

You said 

Let others decide.

But, as said, you have obviously not noticed that the attacks by the 'New' IRA has increased, with some, so far minor, attacks in England.

Force Northern Ireland into the Republic against their will and how do you think Unionist terrorists will react?

Doesn't that concern you?

It concerns most people, Brexiteer or Remainer.

I havent suggesting forcing anyone to do anything

You may be getting me mixed up with Bob 

• Like 1

Just now, sanemax said:

I havent suggesting forcing anyone to do anything

You may be getting me mixed up with Bob 

No, but you have said that you don't care if the bombing starts again.

So going to answer the question, or follow your usual tactic of ignoring the difficult ones?

• Like 1

But of course, for you it's not 'us' is it!

I don't recall any Irish terrorist, Republican or Unionist, ever bombing the British ex pat community in Thailand!

• Like 1

Just now, 7by7 said:

No, but you have said that you don't care if the bombing starts again.

So going to answer the question, or follow your usual tactic of ignoring the difficult ones?

You seem to have misunderstood me , I didnt say or mean that I didnt care , what I meant was they can make threats all they like .

Threats if violence shouldnt be taken into consideration when negotiating 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, sanemax said:

You seem to have misunderstood me , I didnt say or mean that I didnt care , what I meant was they can make threats all they like .

Threats if violence shouldnt be taken into consideration when negotiating 

You said something stupid: be an adult and admit it. 

Your attempted justification is a few posts too late. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

You really must keep up with current events. Maybe it's not being reported on the media you access, or maybe your perception filters screen it out; but dissident republicans have been 'daring' for some time!

Apply safety catch, dress back to my last post and have another attempt at working out what it actually says.

Edited by evadgib
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

Aren't all borders artificial, i.e. man made? Maybe England, Scotland and Wales should all become one country, and we could call it.....Great Britain? ????

No, there are river borders, sea borders, mountain range borders and borders of language, none of these apply to N.Ireland, it's a political border.