Need drink suggestions for home (bar)

Gumballl

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Gumballl said:

Thank you. PC is one of my go-to drinks when at home (in the US). Here, I do not (yet) have a blender. Two years ago I feebly attempted to mix Sang Som, Pineapple juice, and fresh coconut water in a glass, and stirred. It was awful. Perhaps missed the "milk". In the US, I add yogurt when making smoothies; the same I suppose could be done for a PC.

P.S. I live 20 Km from Korat city; obtaining milk is difficult. Might as well call it 'unobtanium'.

Do 7-11 not sell milk of all kinds?

18 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

Try this with a blender;

The TG Colada Smoothie.

Buy your favourite bottle of squash (fruit juice mixer) from one of those mom'n'pop corner shop that sell the stuff, either Cantaloupe, Pineapple, blueberry, melon, coconut etc.

Big handful of ice.

Tall glass of Sang Song (1/4 bottle).

Tall glass milk

Tall glass 1/3rd full of your favourite fruit mixer.

Switch the blender on.

Pour in a glass, add a straw. Drink. Enjoy.

Should get 3-4 glasses from 1 blender's worth.

Two blenders worth = quite drunk solo, 4 blenders (full bottle of Sang Som) should be good hit for 2-3-4 people.

Using 1/6th coconut and 1/6th pineapple will give you the proper Pina Colada tropical cocktail taste.

Thank me later.

do I add fish sauce 

12 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

For contracting Diabetes 2 with all this sugar consumption in the mom'n'pop fruit juice mixers? Sugar is toxic. Drink that stuff day in and day out and you'll be hell bent on being the unhealthiest farang in Thailand.  

Who mentioned drinking the stuff daily?

Sheesh.

1 minute ago, Gumballl said:

Closest 7-11, AFAIK, is 20km away. I live in a village, just off of Hwy 226 in Korat. I'm a (drunk) prisoner here; send help!

So is mine. A big milk will last over a week. And if not, two big milks should be very nice!

4 minutes ago, steven100 said:

no …. I just messed up my reply on that picture, so once you click reply you have to put something , hence the dot.

Click on edit. Or, the next time, post the pic before you select 'Submit Reply'.

By the way, my stock of Sang Som ran out; I'm now rehydrating with Leo. Jimmy Buffet is on the music system, and he is (somewhat) encouraging me to drink more.

11 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

It was staged or photoshopped. It did not happen.

Yes. The probability of that coming up is just too small. C~NT maybe but the flaps were stretching it.

Metaphorically speaking.

Funny anyway , as were the others.

Just now, Denim said:

Yes. The probability of that coming up is just too small. C~NT maybe but the flaps were stretching it.

Metaphorically speaking.

And in a show with two clergymen competing?

1 minute ago, Gumballl said:

Click on edit. Or, the next time, post the pic before you select 'Submit Reply'.

By the way, my stock of Sang Som ran out; I'm now rehydrating with Leo. Jimmy Buffet is on the music system, and he is (somewhat) encouraging me to drink more.

"Jimmy Buffet is on the music system"

omg …..  now I am sad ...

11 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

Who mentioned drinking the stuff daily?

Sheesh.

Sheesh. I could bet you that would probably be the factual situation for most responders on here. And I enjoy my red wine on a daily basis - but not go overboard.

I am more concerned about the quality of the alcohol consumption mentioned here, because it just isn't healthy to consume so much sugar in the mixers.  

For Caucasians they have a higher tolerance level to alcohol than Asians, they contract less critical illnesses from alcohol - but - and it's a big BUT - it's the sugar content also consumed that's the killer. Mostly Diabetes 2.

6 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

Sheesh. I could bet you that would probably be the factual situation for most responders on here. And I enjoy my red wine on a daily basis - but not go overboard.

I am more concerned about the quality of the alcohol consumption mentioned here, because it just isn't healthy to consume so much sugar in the mixers.  

Everyone should decide for themselves what they are comfortable doing. I am sure there are health-saints on this forum that would feel at ease (i.e. not question sanity) of riding a motorcycle in Thailand without a helmet.

Btw, sugar nuts should watch Fed Up (available on NetFlix, and perhaps elsewhere).

8 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

well thank you for your kind consideration.

would you like to come around and join me in a game of checkers then

Just now, Gumballl said:

Everyone should decide for themselves what they are comfortable doing. I am sure there are health-saints on this forum that would feel at ease (i.e. not question sanity) of riding a motorcycle in Thailand without a helmet.

Btw, sugar nuts should watch Fed Up (available on NetFlix, and perhaps elsewhere).

read my edited post. I really do care about health as it costs a bomb here in Thailand.

1 hour ago, Denim said:

Any glass with a bottom in it. As for mix depends on mood. If I want a kick in the head,  then the mix is 50/50 . But usually I space it out. One small bottle of the NEW Lao Khao to about 2 cans of mix. To get some small benefit from this toxic mix ( apart from a good sleep ) I will often us a lime from the garden squeezed into the drink.

Never ever drink anything before 6.00 pm and very rarely after 9.00 pm. Never drink alcohol of any description in the daytime.

I never ever drink anything before 8 pm, as that is the time my AA meetings end.

11 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

For Caucasians they have a higher tolerance level to alcohol than Asians, they contract less critical illnesses from alcohol - but - and it's a big BUT - it's the sugar content also consumed that's the killer. Mostly Diabetes 2.

It's not for you to tell me what I can and can't drink …..   YOU DON'T PAY MY RENT SO DON'T BOTHER.

1 minute ago, steven100 said:

well thank you for your kind consideration.

would you like to come around and join me in a game of checkers then

Believe me, steven, I know I can spout on about healthy nutrition, but if you followed my suggestions you'd thank me for avoiding the toxic cocktail recipe mentioned above. if sugar had been 'found' today - apart from the USA -  it would be classified as a lethal drug and banned, particularly in the EU and UK.

Unfortunately, USA has one of the worst health records as any other 'Caucasian' population and remains that way because of the constant lobbying of mega-companies like Pepsi with a massive financial interest in providing sugar-additives to processed drinks. 

1 hour ago, vogie said:

It is a very good vodka, Kulov, it doesn't have a vodka smell, infact it is odourless, it is great for making limoncelli or orangecello.

Another good buy is Yeow Ngern, a cheap Thai rum at 150baht a bottle great for making Baileys Irish Cream. Original Baileys is selling for about 1,140baht in Big C.

Any idea where is it made?

Just tried Benmore 4 cask, it's only available in Thailand and the Philippines apparently, I wonder why! They used to do a masters reserve for 500 baht which was excellent, but not seen it around lately. That kulov vodka is not bad for 300 baht, other than that it's tappers, I don't know how anyone can drink Leo, worst beer in the world imo, tasteless p water.

2 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Yep, wait til the NAtional Anthem is on the telly, then a couple of Tappers 6.5% followed by a bottle of my delectable home-made vino. I am rarely AWAKE after 9pm, or when Countdown ends. But that will soon come to an end as Rachel is up the duff!

Oh forgot, it's Sunday so no Countdown, so will be akip before 9 o clock as it is only the German Grand Prix on telly, so after the first few laps........zzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

22 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

Off-topic!

But, Asians (and Caucasians) ought to be more concerned about eating RICE. Alcohol (and mixed in stuff) is easily discharged; that solid stuff in the stomach is not.

1 minute ago, wgdanson said:

Oh forgot, it's Sunday so no Countdown, so will be akip before 9 o clock as it is only the German Grand Prix on telly, so after the first few laps........zzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

Tell me about you home-made vino WG. I used to make a few when I lived in the UK. I guess here, there are many available fruits and carrots -but where did you purchase the equipment?

2 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Just tried Benmore 4 cask, it's only available in Thailand and the Philippines apparently, I wonder why! They used to do a masters reserve for 500 baht which was excellent, but not seen it around lately. That kulov vodka is not bad for 300 baht, other than that it's tappers, I don't know how anyone can drink Leo, worst beer in the world imo, tasteless p water.

I recall purchasing/drinking Tito's Vodka in the USA when it was $8.99 for a 750ml bottle. Now it runs around $22 (maybe slightly less in other places). It was, and still is, a great vodka.

I will look for the Kolov brand the next time I'm out/about. Hopefully available at Big-C.

Regarding Leo, it is as good as PBR (Pabst Blue Ribbon), Natty Bo, and perhaps a few other pedestrian beers in the US. Nobody is asking you to drink it. I only drink this style of beer when I am hot/thirsty. Perhaps you have not noticed, but it is <deleted> hot in Thailand.

56 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

Only 'healthy' alcoholic drink is (non-added fruit juice) red wine (preferably pinot noir), and in moderation. Scientifically proven to add to longevity and outlast teetotallers

Well, don't want to rain on your parade but :

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/12086226/Red-wine-is-bad-for-you-say-experts.html

But what do they know. If people listened to experts we would all have died ages ago. There is almost nothing that some expert here or there has said is not good for you. Coconut oil , broccoli , eggs .... the list is almost endless. What should we do ...starve ourselves to death ?

Life is for living and you are a long time dead. I am usually moderate in most things but sometimes I just have to let rip to see if I can still be a 61 year old teenager. Of course I can't but not ready yet to give up trying.

3 minutes ago, Gumballl said:

Off-topic!

But, Asians (and Caucasians) ought to be more concerned about eating RICE. Alcohol (and mixed in stuff) is easily discharged; that solid stuff in the stomach is not.

I partly agree that white rice, particularly, is a high carbohydrate that is only useful if the guys are working in the rice fields all day. They need carbs. And they burn it off.

As to alcohol, and mixers, no it isn't easily discharged  - an excess of sugar is actually stored as fat. Hence weight gain. 

6 minutes ago, Gumballl said:

I recall purchasing/drinking Tito's Vodka in the USA when it was $8.99 for a 750ml bottle. Now it runs around $22 (maybe slightly less in other places). It was, and still is, a great vodka.

I will look for the Kolov brand the next time I'm out/about. Hopefully available at Big-C.

Regarding Leo, it is as good as PBR (Pabst Blue Ribbon), Natty Bo, and perhaps a few other pedestrian beers in the US. Nobody is asking you to drink it. I only drink this style of beer when I am hot/thirsty. Perhaps you have not noticed, but it is <deleted> hot in Thailand.

Available at Big C, Tops 7/11 and Tesco. Just checked out their FB page. They are also selling as a ready to drink version in cans THB 32

Archived