Need drink suggestions for home (bar)

Gumballl

When I am at my wife's home (in Korat), the typical libations on hand are beer (Leo) and rum (Sang Som). Regarding the latter, I mix it with either Coke or soda. On certain occasions, I will mix the rum with pineapple juice and soda.

I've also tried Hong Thong, which I believe is Thai for "piss whiskey".

Care to share what mix drinks you make at home?

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lah Khao wish Shweppes bitter lemon. 

à¸à¹à¸§à¸à¸ªà¹à¸¡à¸°à¸à¸²à¸§à¹à¸à¸à¸² 330มล. 1 à¸à¸£à¸°à¸à¹à¸­à¸

Don't drink the common type of Lao Khao with the blue label. Bad smell. There is a newer brand with a white label and screw top which is odorless.

6 minutes ago, Denim said:

Don't drink the common type of Lao Khao with the blue label. Bad smell. There is a newer brand with a white label and screw top which is odorless.

Is there a particular LK to Sweppes mix ratio? Do you drink from a tall glass? With ice?

5 minutes ago, Denim said:

6 bottles of beer … either ice cold Leo or Chang, and a couple of Shweppes bitter lemon with Gin (slice of lime) Gordons dry gin.  I'm half pissed already … lol 

3 minutes ago, Gumballl said:

Is there a particular LK to Sweppes mix ratio? Do you drink from a tall glass? With ice?

Any glass with a bottom in it. As for mix depends on mood. If I want a kick in the head,  then the mix is 50/50 . But usually I space it out. One small bottle of the NEW Lao Khao to about 2 cans of mix. To get some small benefit from this toxic mix ( apart from a good sleep ) I will often us a lime from the garden squeezed into the drink.

Never ever drink anything before 6.00 pm and very rarely after 9.00 pm. Never drink alcohol of any description in the daytime.

9 minutes ago, steven100 said:

6 bottles of beer … either ice cold Leo or Chang, and a couple of Shweppes bitter lemon with Gin (slice of lime) Gordons dry gin.  I'm half pissed already … lol 

I think I am going crazy w/ boredom. I just mixed Sang Som with Tipco Shogun (Orange Juice?).

I'm on my 5th drink this afternoon; no joy yet with a buzz. Makes me wonder if Sang Som is really 40% ABV as indicated on the label.

1 minute ago, Denim said:

Any glass with a bottom in it. As for mix depends on mood. If I want a kick in the head,  then the mix is 50/50 . But usually I space it out. One small bottle of the NEW Lao Khao to about 2 cans of mix. To get some small benefit from this toxic mix ( apart from a good sleep ) I will often us a lime from the garden squeezed into the drink.

Never ever drink anything before 6.00 pm and very rarely after 9.00 pm. Never drink alcohol of any description in the daytime.

Yep, wait til the NAtional Anthem is on the telly, then a couple of Tappers 6.5% followed by a bottle of my delectable home-made vino. I am rarely AWAKE after 9pm, or when Countdown ends. But that will soon come to an end as Rachel is up the duff!

2 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

But that will soon come to an end as Rachel is up the duff!

Really !! Oh god , that is bad. Damn I need a drink and there are 2 and a half hours to go. And I thought she would wait forever for me. What a fool I've been all these years.

1 minute ago, Denim said:

Really !! Oh god , that is bad. Damn I need a drink and there are 2 and a half hours to go. And I thought she would wait forever for me. What a fool I've been all these years.

Put yourself in the spirit (no pun); it is a holiday weekend.

Just now, Gumballl said:

Put yourself in the spirit (no pun); it is a holiday weekend.

No I'll just go out on the bike for a bit and find a quiet place under a tree and sob my eyes out. Countdown will never be the same.

11 minutes ago, Gumballl said:

I think I am going crazy w/ boredom.

you think you have boredom !  …. all I can hear is crickets from bush opposite, I see ants walking on my wood windowsill, and my best friend is a skink lizard for one fleeting minute. 

and I'm wearing a path from my computer to the fridge everyday

12 minutes ago, steven100 said:

and I'm wearing a path from my computer to the fridge everyday

Same here. But in my case, I think the Sang Som is taking effect. I walked to the fridge to make another round. Then was momentarily distracted, and then came back to my desk... without the drink. Oh the horror!

Another round trip to the kitchen. Sigh.

P.S. The Sang Som with the orange juice wannabe is not half bad.

24 minutes ago, Denim said:

No I'll just go out on the bike for a bit and find a quiet place under a tree and sob my eyes out. Countdown will never be the same.

how can the girl in this picture keep a straight face  ??  ….    I nearly pissed myself laughing

First of all, Sang Som is not rum by any stretch of the imagination. It is so vile that I can only drink it with coke, something I never drink otherwise. That said, it's so inexpensive that I drink it frequently. ????

If you want something truly tasty and refreshing, try Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum with tonic water and lime, or any decent rum with any combination of fruit juices. Lime is always a wonderful complement to any rum drink.

29 minutes ago, Denim said:

This was staged. They even bleeped and pixellated <deleted> last week. What a load of.....

They've done it here as well. So we could have SWANKER like Susie Dent did instead !

49 minutes ago, steven100 said:

Well it is a birthday today, no worries.

37 minutes ago, SteveK said:

The 7-11 near me have started selling a passable vodka for 300 a bottle. I think it's called Kurov, quite nice with pomegranate juice.

Gilbeys is about that as well, gin or voddy.

4 minutes ago, GalaxyMan said:

First of all, Sang Som is not rum by any stretch of the imagination. It is so vile that I can only drink it with coke, something I never drink otherwise. That said, it's so inexpensive that I drink it frequently. ????

If you want something truly tasty and refreshing, try Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum with tonic water and lime, or any decent rum with any combination of fruit juices. Lime is always a wonderful complement to any rum drink.

Everybody has their own tastes in food and drink. Whereas I appreciate your input, for whatever reason, I have never developed a taste for Morgan's (I do however love their commercials).

For spiced rum I stick to Sailor Jerry's or Blackheart, none of which I have seen here in Thailand.

33 minutes ago, SteveK said:

The 7-11 near me have started selling a passable vodka for 300 a bottle. I think it's called Kurov, quite nice with pomegranate juice.

It is a very good vodka, Kulov, it doesn't have a vodka smell, infact it is odourless, it is great for making limoncelli or orangecello.

Another good buy is Yeow Ngern, a cheap Thai rum at 150baht a bottle great for making Baileys Irish Cream. Original Baileys is selling for about 1,140baht in Big C.

5 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

This was staged. They even bleeped and pixellated <deleted> last week. What a load of.....

They've done it here as well. So we could have SWANKER instead !

Party pooper!

Only 'healthy' alcoholic drink is (non-added fruit juice) red wine (preferably pinot noir), and in moderation. Scientifically proven to add to longevity and outlast teetotallers - other things like healthy nutrition being equal. Mar Sol at 12% is the best of a mediocre bunch of 'cheaper' red wines. 

Anything else is toxic, including the tonics, spritzers etc that are full of sugar/fructose and equally toxic. 

As far as Thai alcoholic spirits are concerned, they're just alcohol and water, but Regency brandy is probably the best of a bad lot.

Try this with a blender;

The TG Colada Smoothie.

Buy your favourite bottle of squash (fruit juice mixer) from one of those mom'n'pop corner shop that sell the stuff, either Cantaloupe, Pineapple, blueberry, melon, coconut etc.

Big handful of ice.

Tall glass of Sang Song (1/4 bottle).

Tall glass milk

Tall glass 1/3rd full of your favourite fruit mixer.

Switch the blender on.

Pour in a glass, add a straw. Drink. Enjoy.

Should get 3-4 glasses from 1 blender's worth.

Two blenders worth = quite drunk solo, 4 blenders (full bottle of Sang Som) should be good hit for 2-3-4 people.

Using 1/6th coconut and 1/6th pineapple will give you the proper Pina Colada tropical cocktail taste.

Thank me later.

5 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

Try this with a blender;

The TG Colada Smoothie.

Buy your favourite bottle of squash (fruit juice mixer) from one of those mom'n'pop corner shop that sell the stuff, either Cantaloupe, Pineapple, blueberry, melon, coconut etc.

Big handful of ice.

Tall glass milk

Switch the blender on.

Two blenders worth = quite drunk solo, 4 blenders (full bottle of Sang Som) should be good hit for 2-3-4 people.

Using 1/6th coconut and 1/6th pineapple will give you the proper Pina Colada tropical cocktail taste.

Thank me later.

Thank you. PC is one of my go-to drinks when at home (in the US). Here, I do not (yet) have a blender. Two years ago I feebly attempted to mix Sang Som, Pineapple juice, and fresh coconut water in a glass, and stirred. It was awful. Perhaps missed the "milk". In the US, I add yogurt when making smoothies; the same I suppose could be done for a PC.

P.S. I live 20 Km from Korat city; obtaining milk is difficult. Might as well call it 'unobtanium'.

4 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

Try this with a blender;

The TG Colada Smoothie.

Big handful of ice.

Tall glass milk

Switch the blender on.

Thank me later.

For contracting Diabetes 2 with all this sugar consumption in the mom'n'pop fruit juice mixers? Sugar is toxic. Drink that stuff day in and day out and you'll be hell bent on being the unhealthiest farang in Thailand.  

15 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

Try this with a blender;

The TG Colada Smoothie.

Big handful of ice.

Tall glass milk

Switch the blender on.

Thank me later.

Raw or cooked rice?

Archived