Need drink suggestions for home (bar)

Gumballl

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

Try this with a blender;

The TG Colada Smoothie.

Buy your favourite bottle of squash (fruit juice mixer) from one of those mom'n'pop corner shop that sell the stuff, either Cantaloupe, Pineapple, blueberry, melon, coconut etc.

Big handful of ice.

Tall glass of Sang Song (1/4 bottle).

Tall glass milk

Tall glass 1/3rd full of your favourite fruit mixer.

Switch the blender on.

Pour in a glass, add a straw. Drink. Enjoy.

Should get 3-4 glasses from 1 blender's worth.

Two blenders worth = quite drunk solo, 4 blenders (full bottle of Sang Som) should be good hit for 2-3-4 people.

Using 1/6th coconut and 1/6th pineapple will give you the proper Pina Colada tropical cocktail taste.

Thank me later.

Do remember to put the top on the blender when you are making your second batch...

For interested parties this is the Lao Khao from the upper slopes. Definitely better than the other stuff you see.

P_20190728_184332_vHDR_On.jpg

All we need now is somebody to say they are a fan of black clock.

I just drink Johnny Red soda or Jim Beam ice. I drink too much too afford better booze. Get friends to bring in duty free and gift me up.

I'd like vodka lime soda but I'd not finish the can and it would go flat. That's a waste of money. Pommagrnate juice sounds excellent but the price plus the voddy can just keep drinking scotch and bourbon.

On rare occasions I'll buy Bell's. Mix with Pepsi or soda.

Rum has lots of sugar. I'd not recommend drinking for old guys excessively.

Hong Tong and the like are just piss. Blend is only 35%. Only at parties.

Beer is delicious just makes you fat

4 hours ago, Gumballl said:

Everybody has their own tastes in food and drink.

Agreed. My favorite rum, non-spiced, is Appleton Estate. There are a couple of shops here in Samui that carry it, but it's around 2,000 baht.

12 hours ago, Number 6 said:

Rum has lots of sugar. I'd not recommend drinking for old guys excessively.

Really?

Time do some research... that is, time for you to do some research. See here...

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+much+sugar+in+rum&oq=how+much+sugar+in+rum&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.6320j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

16 hours ago, stephenterry said:

Sheesh. I could bet you that would probably be the factual situation for most responders on here. And I enjoy my red wine on a daily basis - but not go overboard.

I am more concerned about the quality of the alcohol consumption mentioned here, because it just isn't healthy to consume so much sugar in the mixers.  

For Caucasians they have a higher tolerance level to alcohol than Asians, they contract less critical illnesses from alcohol - but - and it's a big BUT - it's the sugar content also consumed that's the killer. Mostly Diabetes 2.

I believe the Baptist sub forum needs more members.

To quench my first I've started drinking Volume gin (bought at Tesco) with soda water, no lime. I find tonics a waste of time considering the calories in them. For sporting events such as the F1 I enjoy a tiger beer and if I feel like a nightcap, I have a tablespoon or two of nice whisky (my current bottle of Signet was too expensive to be filling my glass at leisure)

1 hour ago, Mansinthe said:

That thai whisky stuff is undrinkable for me ???? 

I tried it once and it tastes like some vodka, grain schnapps with rum?.

I dont like beer or wine either. 

Brought a liter bottle of talisker scotch and another bottle of bunnahabhain 12 with me from back home, for the few times per month that i want a drink

Don't drink much either. The Normal Jameson irish whisky is “affordable“ in Thailand. I think its like 1600 baht a bottle (0.7L)

I'd love to be drinking that stuff but I drink too mutt so keep it bottom shelf. I only drink the Thai stuff at parties. It's 35% I'd need a bottle to feel tipsy.

18 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Raw or cooked rice?

18 hours ago, stephenterry said:

For contracting Diabetes 2 with all this sugar consumption in the mom'n'pop fruit juice mixers? Sugar is toxic. Drink that stuff day in and day out and you'll be hell bent on being the unhealthiest farang in Thailand.  

Gee.

Tough crowd here today.

Ok OP, here's another one, nice and simple;

Captain Morgans Rum.

Chocolate milk.

Mix 50-50 or 60-40 if you are a wimp in a tall glass with ice.

Stir. Drink. Enjoy.

Recipe comes from the Netherlands where they sometimes substitute the Chocomilk for caramel milk. Mmmm.

On 7/28/2019 at 3:23 PM, wgdanson said:

Yep, wait til the NAtional Anthem is on the telly, then a couple of Tappers 6.5% followed by a bottle of my delectable home-made vino. I am rarely AWAKE after 9pm, or when Countdown ends. But that will soon come to an end as Rachel is up the duff!

Coming back to this I would be interested in how you make your home made wine and approx how many degrees does it rack up. 

I've made beer here but never tried wine but the inflated prices might make it work trying.

If however , sharing your secret would mean you would have to kill me I will fully understand and not press the matter further.

On 7/28/2019 at 9:53 AM, Gumballl said:

Care to share what mix drinks you make at home?

You may not like it, but Pernod (or similar) with red soda, for example Red Fanta, eventually just Pernod with soda, or with Perrier or like sparkling mineral water.

–Or chocolate milk with cheap brandy; a Thai brandy therefore works fine, whilst a better French cognac don't give enough taste. The drink is called "Lumumba", or as original in Danish "Død tante" (dead aunt). The drink is supposed to originate from the Danish West coast, according to Wikipedia, whilst the name "lumumba" came from the Congolese politician Patrice Lumumba. It was extremely popular at Spanish tourist destinations in the 1960'ies and 70'ies, perhaps they still drink it there.

–Or just a glass chilled rosé wine that could be sparkling – a Portuguese Matæus would be perfect, also for dinner – or a (small) glass of port wine. Sometimes just a wine-cooler, like for example Full Moon; it's a bit to the sweet side, but could be improved if mixed 50/50 with wine for some cold refreshing in the afternoon, or early evening.

A hand-warm good French cognac with coffee after dinner is sometimes acceptable, or instead of coffee take a seriously old highland single malt without "rocks"...????

1 hour ago, Denim said:

Coming back to this I would be interested in how you make your home made wine and approx how many degrees does it rack up. 

I've made beer here but never tried wine but the inflated prices might make it work trying.

If however , sharing your secret would mean you would have to kill me I will fully understand and not press the matter further.

https://www.lowcostliving.co.uk/home-brewing/carrot-wine-recipe/

33 minutes ago, khunPer said:

You may not like it, but Pernod (or similar) with red soda, for example Red Fanta, eventually just Pernod with soda, or with Perrier or like sparkling mineral water.

–Or chocolate milk with cheap brandy; a Thai brandy therefore works fine, whilst a better French cognac don't give enough taste. The drink is called "Lumumba", or as original in Danish "Død tante" (dead aunt). The drink is supposed to originate from the Danish West coast, according to Wikipedia, whilst the name "lumumba" came from the Congolese politician Patrice Lumumba. It was extremely popular at Spanish tourist destinations in the 1960'ies and 70'ies, perhaps they still drink it there.

–Or just a glass chilled rosé wine that could be sparkling – a Portuguese Matæus would be perfect, also for dinner – or a (small) glass of port wine. Sometimes just a wine-cooler, like for example Full Moon; it's a bit to the sweet side, but could be improved if mixed 50/50 with wine for some cold refreshing in the afternoon, or early evening.

A hand-warm good French cognac with coffee after dinner is sometimes acceptable, or instead of coffee take a seriously old highland single malt without "rocks"...????

Hand warmed cognac ? Are you some type of heathen or perhaps just joking ?  Any connoisseur of the finer points in life will know that, just like the rolling of Havana cigars, a glass of vintage cognac is undoubtedly better if warmed between the upper thighs of a beautiful lady. ????

8 minutes ago, plfomylo said:

is Sang Som really acceptable as rhum ? why it has such a bad reputation ?

I am not an expert but feel scare to drink it.

Is it similar to any western cheap rum or bacardy ?

Sang Som is rum; Thais however classify it (incorrectly) as whiskey.

You don't need to be an expert to try something new, nor be afraid. I'd be more concerned about crossing the street than I would imbibing spirits.

As for the taste, it has a sweeter taste than Bacardi Gold (which surprisingly, is missing from the store shelves in Thailand... hmm?).

37 minutes ago, plfomylo said:

is Sang Som really acceptable as rhum ? why it has such a bad reputation ?

I am not an expert but feel scare to drink it.

Is it similar to any western cheap rum or bacardy ?

Before Mekhong was merely the Thai rum to drink, but the price were raised to make the brand more up-end, and it's rarely seen now.

Sang Som is a rum – however some mistakenly call it Thai whisky – and when mixed with soda or coke, it can be alright to drink, eventually as in the popular "bucket"-version with ice-cubes, a small bottle of Red Bull, or an imported carbonated can, and cola or soda as mixers.

04)wDSC03000_cloth-or-buckets.jpg.0001e7178240af56158999c0efb766d4.jpg

The image is buckets available at a Full Moon Party.

In many bars it's served as half-bottle with a bucket of ice, and two (eventually four) cokes as mixers, and you mix yourself in glass; or one of the ladies in the company will mix and serve it.

Both Mekong and Sang Som taste alright in Thailand, but don't bring it home and serve it for friends, unless they are used to hang out in Thai bars, then they'll just love it...????

On 7/28/2019 at 4:57 AM, GalaxyMan said:

First of all, Sang Som is not rum by any stretch of the imagination. It is so vile that I can only drink it with coke, something I never drink otherwise. That said, it's so inexpensive that I drink it frequently. ????

If you want something truly tasty and refreshing, try Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum with tonic water and lime, or any decent rum with any combination of fruit juices. Lime is always a wonderful complement to any rum drink.

Havana Club rum with mint leaves, squeezed lime & soda.

22 hours ago, Gumballl said:

Sang Som is rum; Thais however classify it (incorrectly) as whiskey.

You're correct that Sang Som is rum, and that Thais think it's "whiskey." But that's only because most Thai people (outside of trained bartenders and those who have lived abroad) think whiskey means any kind of liquor. They don't "classify" it as whiskey; they make no distinction. 

BTW, it says rum on the label.

Here's a new one I was just introduced to by the Thai family:

• A bucket
  • Fill with some ice
  • ESP Blue Wave
  • Sweppes Manao (Lime)
  • M150
  • Sang Som (to one's desire)

Result: A great break from the norm, especially when living in the sticks.

See pic below.

IMG_1383.JPG

2 minutes ago, Gumballl said:
  • A bucket
  • Fill with some ice
  • ESP Blue Wave
  • Sweppes Manao (Lime)
  • M150 
  • Sang Som (to one's desire) 

What is ESP Blue Wave and M150, I have googled but nothing has surfaced. Thanks

43 minutes ago, vogie said:

Local Thai beverages. M150 is the Thai-style Red Bull. Not sure if Pepsi makes a Blue Wave (or other name for a blue-colored soda).

5 hours ago, vogie said:

M150 is a Red Bull brand – there are several kind of energy drinks in small similar sized bottles available in Thailand, the market leader is Carabao (yes, the Thai band's energy drink) – Blue Wave is caffeinated soda drink; other similar taste sodas might also work.

c1_1044118_620x413.jpg

wavesoda_Blueberry04.jpg

Owing to the fact that sterling is now sinking further than Boris Johnson's credibility.

I bought a bottle of Black Cock. Also had the choice of Red Cock.

Will try tonight with no sugar Coke.

Will probably be dead by next week. 

7 hours ago, fishtank said:

Owing to the fact that sterling is now sinking further than Boris Johnson's credibility.

I bought a bottle of Black Cock. Also had the choice of Red Cock.

Will try tonight with no sugar Coke.

Will probably be dead by next week. 

Don't go off half cocked!

Archived