Assuming EU will not budge, Britain ramps up preparations for no-deal Brexit

webfact

9 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

My (admittedly, slightly pedantic) post was addressed to Chomper who referred to previous TV threads when sterling fell below 60 bht to support his 'cause'!

This annoyed me, as it would take hours/days to find threads going back to around the referendum - far more to find threads (if they still exist) to when the exchange rate was 70 and then 60!  (Believe me, I'd love to find them as I'm pretty sure that I predicted BRINO around that time.) :smile:

FWIW, I agree that sterling will likely fall slightly further in the event of 'no deal', but also think that this has been largely 'factored in' nowadays - so once the uncertainty ends it is likely to fall slightly, stabilise and then improve.  But I'd be the first to agree that this is just my OPINION ????.

Ever pleased to accommodate:

Post No. 10 in this thread is an example of the hardship caused, even when the £was over Bht60

Comments in this thread from people who are still active members are worth reading

And this thread captures the problem perfectly, the vote options alone are laughable with hindsight.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/159135-£-sterling-up-sht-creek/

There are many more like this to be found in threads started in late 2008 on the ‘Jobs, Economy’ sub forum.

Sorry to have 'annoyed you'.

11 hours ago, keith101 said:

I believe that 3 years ago the vote was racially motivated because of all the black and Muslim immigrants moving to the UK for a better life .

I agree 100% all I heard back then and now was pro brexiters complain about forigners 

You live in a fantasy land.  Brexit is the sole cause of the pound falling against most currencies, and would continue to do so if an expletive 'no deal' brexit occurs. To think otherwise is fiction.
Not the exclusive cause but takes the biscuit right now. Brexiteer pound in your pocket shrinking again.

Sent from my SM-N935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dick dasterdly said:

Have to admit that I'm 'somewhat' impressed that you were prepared to spend so much time looking for threads going back to 2008!

It took me about 15 minutes. 

I checked the historical value of the £/Bht, spotted the sudden drop around end 2008, then searched every tenth page not the 'Jobs Economy' subform for threads around the end of 2008 - Simple. 

Just take a look at those voting options for where the exchange rate was predicted to go, laughable, until you read the accounts of hardship it was creating. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

It took me about 15 minutes. 

I checked the historical value of the £/Bht, spotted the sudden drop around end 2008, then searched every tenth page not the 'Jobs Economy' subform for threads around the end of 2008 - Simple. 

Just take a look at those voting options for where the exchange rate was predicted to go, laughable, until you read the accounts of hardship it was creating. 

Try doing the same in the World News sub-forum, rather than the tiny Jobs/Economy sub-forum....

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Jip99 said:

Tell that to the Americans, Europeans and Aussies living in Thailand.

everyone's getting hit,the brits the hardest,but they have brexit to rescue them,the rest have no chance,take a walk down soi 6 and the first baldy brit will have you dreaming of 50 again????   

1 hour ago, gbsmiley said:

The sooner we are out, the better, no deal for me.

The EU is only interested in UK money to feather its nest, and give unelected bureaucrats stupid wages & big fat pensions, together with a trade surplus in their favour.

Additionally the war criminal 'Tony Blair' gave up 7 per cent of our rebate linked to promises of reforms which, you guessed it, never materialised.

Without the UK money the EU is a dead duck.

The EU told the member states they would continue with all their planned hairbrain schemes, and the members would have to cover the shortfall, to which they said NO!!

The pound & economy is weak because of the uncertainity resulting in near to zero investment.

Rest assured there is money to made with or without a deal but not until a final conclusion has been reached

it costs brits less than a quid a week to be in the EU,so after 3 years £140-150 seems cheap,most will of spent £1000+ more while on holiday in 3-4 years,then add on fuel costing more and a few other things,and if its a no deal then inflation will surge,not project fear but project FACT

1 hour ago, Jip99 said:

Tell that to the Americans, Europeans and Aussies living in Thailand.

It just happens that the Thai baht has been exceptionally strong lately against pretty much all currencies. But if you think that has serious economic significance in global markets, then you've been living in Thailand too long.

13 hours ago, keith101 said:

I believe that 3 years ago the vote was racially motivated because of all the black and Muslim immigrants moving to the UK for a better life .

Which black and muslim migrants? The UK is not a part of the Schengen contract, so not less will come with a Brexit. But many stupid Britons don´t know that.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

It just happens that the Thai baht has been exceptionally strong lately against pretty much all currencies. But if you think that has serious economic significance in global markets, then you've been living in Thailand too long.

Did I say anywhere that it has any significance anywhere outside Thailand.

This is a Thailand form........ but thanks anyway for the irrelevant comments.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

PSA, the owner of Vauxhall said today, that in a case of a hard Brexit, they will close the Astra factory in the UK and build the car in Italy or Spain. BMW thinks about to relocate with the Mini production to Germany. Two Japanese car builders will close their factories in the UK for sure. Have fun UK.

13 hours ago, vogie said:

You have made some good points but the remainers have tried to thwart any kind of a Brexit, they could have voted for Mrs Mays deal which was Brexit in name only and wasn't really leaving the EU in its true sense. Infact they wanted to ignore the decision what our country voted for, they wanted it their way or no way, now it might come back to haunt them if we crash out without a deal.

Ha ha so Rees Mogg is a remainer now!!

You really spout some nonsense here.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, shy coconut said:

The no deal was an option provided by the numpties who voted for brexit.

The remainers voted to stay which negated the need for any deal.

Stop blaming the wrong people for this king sized cock up.

The country voted to leave, have you forgotten that?

Edited by vogie
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

There is no such things as "mainland EU". The EU is a political project, not a geographical area. The EU bureaucrats may have ambitions to rule a nation of states, but they're not quite there yet! 

I wish they would hurry up,one week of BJs bull is enough.

11 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

junior Treasury minister Rishi Sunak said it was "not a blank cheque" for spending but that Britain could afford to borrow more.

The funding runs on additional credit. The household debt will grow fat again. At the same time, no growth impulses are to be expected. Additional price increases are to be expected, additional tax losses due to corporate downsizing, reduction of domestic investment and depreciation of the British pound in relation to foreign trade. Truly no rosy prospects.

Yes but we will have our sovereignty back..... Rule Brittania.!!!!

Sarcasm.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

My (admittedly, slightly pedantic) post was addressed to Chomper who referred to previous TV threads when sterling fell below 60 bht to support his 'cause'!

This annoyed me, as it would take hours/days to find threads going back to around the referendum - far more to find threads (if they still exist) to when the exchange rate was 70 and then 60!  (Believe me, I'd love to find them as I'm pretty sure that I predicted BRINO around that time.) :smile:

FWIW, I agree that sterling will likely fall slightly further in the event of 'no deal', but also think that this has been largely 'factored in' nowadays - so once the uncertainty ends it is likely to fall slightly, stabilise and then improve.  But I'd be the first to agree that this is just my OPINION ????.

In 10 hours today the pound has gone from 38.16 to 37.73 this despite the scruffy haired, Etonian, peoples champion taking back control of the process.

Is this part of the factoring and slight fall, or is there more bad news to come?