TAT latest: Tourism set for 9% rise in third quarter - yearly expectations to be met

webfact

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, worgeordie said:

I am sure I read on here were TAT ,admitted they made a mistake

with the numbers,instead of the published 38 million,it was only 28 million.

so can you ever believe the numbers they put out.

regards Worgeordie

What you read Geordie marra, was a report of a meeting, where there was either slip of the tongue or the translation was wrong. Obviously that got pounced as being sensational fact.

1 hour ago, PhonThong said:

Yes true, but doesn't do away with the fact that it is not legal.  I find Youtube to be informative. An educated person would not have any trouble deciphering what is true and what is false. 

It's not illegal either. The Chinese content on there is minimal so they stick to their own sites.

Most reporting breathlessly describes what is banned in China, it's easily obtainable but 99.9% of people simply dont bother. They have their own alternatives. Twitter - Weibo, Facebook - WeChat, Snapchat - Momo, New York Times - toilet tissue.

So great to have a crystal ball for TAT predictions particularly after a woeful past few months.. Denial of facts isn't part of Thai's vocabulary.. 

I'd be expecting a continued downward decline unless current issues are resolved and FAST.. 

“ Amazing Thailand “ TAT just pluck the nearest figure that comes to mind and everything is going to be perfect . It’s August in 3 days and the islands are nearly empty . Come September Europe is back to work so it won’t be Europeans coming in the next Quarter and as the monsoon season comes to an end in India in October I don’t think it will be the Indians either so who is left Oh I forgot TAT must be relying on the Chinese coming in the 100s of 1,000s !!!!

41 minutes ago, Traubert said:

What you read Geordie marra, was a report of a meeting, where there was either slip of the tongue or the translation was wrong. Obviously that got pounced as being sensational fact.

Like I said a "misunderstanding".

regards worgeordie

THe third quarter has only just started. I have no idea what they are basing their prediction on, however it should be remembered that Chinese tourist numbers diminished this time last year after the Phoenix disaster. It has picked up a bit since then

Despite that I still think he's spouting nonsense!

It's all wrong, Thailand is all bad, pictures of poop in brains.  But, all from the hurt and rejected minds of poor people kicked out of Thailand who can never come up with other more accurate numbers.  I know guys I feel your pain but you are not believable without offering some facts or proof.  

2 hours ago, tjo o tjim said:

It is pretty easy to fact-check the TOT numbers over time by cross-referencing BKK and DMK international arrival data including top destinations. You can add international arrivals from other airports, but the trends tell the same story: even under the most optimistic numbers it is impossible that Thailand had over 40M “tourist” arrivals in 2018 compared to ~11M in 2003. 

It is marginally possible that they can define arrivals as tourist in a new way to make the numbers work, but the same definition applied backwards would show something else.

That isn’t to say that Tourism is as bad in Thailand as some suggest; I think there are likely demographic shifts that many here (myself included) don’t fully appreciate as they look at tourism. I will say though that TAT should be drastically downsized, along with a few other make-work ministries. 

Good point, but AOT have 81 million passengers in 2018 and since you get counted both on arrival and departure, it is no to far off the 38 million, except of course the AOT numbers also include Thais traveling abroad.

https://www.airportthai.co.th/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Annual-Airport-2018.pdf

2018.jpg

3 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Good point, but AOT have 81 million passengers in 2018 and since you get counted both on arrival and departure, it is no to far off the 38 million, except of course the AOT numbers also include Thais traveling abroad.

And every pass though transit counts as both arrival and departure?

21 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

And every pass though transit counts as both arrival and departure?

That appears to be correct, but that is "only" 638,000 passengers.

"The airlines performance ranks the number of passengers carried by airlines in 2018. This included all type of passengers; i.e. embarked, disembarked, transit and transfer for both scheduled and nonscheduled operations."

2018 2.jpg

1 hour ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

https://www.airportthai.co.th/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Annual-Airport-2018.pdf

2018.jpg

It is the long-term trend that shows the problem. Total international arrivals have not gone up sufficiently to add 30M tourists claimed. 

I give shit in what TAT says.
On a scale of 10 to 1. the tat is at -1.
TAT can write what they want without being punished.
if i spend more than 2 hours in the shop there are a lot of tourists, today i spend only 20 min in the store and half the day in the car queue.

I love car queues in Bangkok

Perhaps you can point me towards an "anti Thai" post from spidermike007. I'm not sure that I have ever seen one. Not that I seek out his posts, but they are usually in defence of Thailand and against anti democratic behaviour of the few..

Edited 5 hours ago by JamJar

I replied....

I always seek out spidermike007’s posts. They are thoughtful, fair, well constructed, informed and logical. (In fact I think it’s time ol’ Spidey wrote his own book about Meuang Thai). If he wants to blast the TAT, they likely deserve it for their sheer blithering bureaucratic _______________ (insert word of your choice). I used to get Visit Thailand posters from the TAT way back in the 80’s before AMAZING THAILAND was even a thing. Didn’t think much about it. Thought it a little funny that it was an “authority” just like the

Krung-Tip makers were a “monopoly.” Just didn’t have any smacking of an agency that was run in a merit-based way whatsoever. Anyway, after more than 30 years of visiting the Kingdom every winter, I’ve now stayed away for 2 full years and I could see the deterioration toward the end, the changes being especially palpable when I was there last in 2017. Sounds even worse now reading all these posts. I fear this will be the third year in a row I won’t make it back. It was a great run but things change. What a drag.

41 minutes ago, NoComment said:

I hope it has a vague ring of truth!?

We are all aware that 000'0 of Thais rely purely on tourism.

I feel for the Thais who are hoping and praying for TAT to be telling the truth even in a small way.

Thais that rely on tourism know the truth in days and since they have only a week's cash in the bank go back home and farm rice.  

Archived