TAT latest: Tourism set for 9% rise in third quarter - yearly expectations to be met

webfact

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, JamJar said:

Great. This time a graph without source. Even if you had the source, you have no idea of the criteria behind the figures.

I've seen coachloads of Chinese tourists looking as if they have been bussed in direct from their village.

Your numbers on their own mean zilch.

Apart from this, do you think that inviting millions of locusts into a field is somewhat beneficial?

It is if the 'locusts' are spending $9bn a year in the field.

That's a Chinese number by the way, not a Thai stat.

https://jingtravel.com/thailand-expects-10-million-chinese-tourists-also-plans-attract-high-end-visitors/

15 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

So, tourism is off for the year. Westerners are abandoning the place, Chinese numbers are off.

As we go into arguably the lowest point of the year for tourism and a time when islands in the Andaman are closed.

TAT predicts a surge. Actually the numbers should be somewhat available based on airline and especially hotel bookings. This can be fact checked.

Start checking.

2 hours ago, darksidedog said:

From 30% down to 9% up? Wow! That's a truly amazing pack of lies even for TAT.

That would be the greatest recovery since Lazarus.

To think that we all thought that with the return to democracy would also usher in a return to truth and just for all.????It now seems to those that tell the biggest lies get the biggest paycheques!In this race to the bottom I see many have strapped on jet assisted takeoff units to their backs in order to win this race.

Just now, FarFlungFalang said:

To think that we all thought that with the return to democracy would also usher in a return to truth and just for all.????It now seems to those that tell the biggest lies get the biggest paycheques!In this race to the bottom I see many have strapped on jet assisted takeoff units to their backs in order to win this race.

No one in the world predicted or predicts a return to democracy in the near or far future for Thailand.  Where do you live? 

2 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

No one in the world predicted or predicts a return to democracy in the near or far future for Thailand.  Where do you live? 

Sorry I thought the emoji thing may have indicated my hopeless attempt at sarcasm which was supposed to invoke gawffaws of laughter from that read it.Just don't tell the cops but I live in Ban Koksuwan.

16 minutes ago, Traubert said:

It is if the 'locusts' are spending $9bn a year in the field.

That's a Chinese number by the way, not a Thai stat.

https://jingtravel.com/thailand-expects-10-million-chinese-tourists-also-plans-attract-high-end-visitors/

Sorry, but the article that you have posted does not agree with your synopsis. It's more than a year old and the changes are already taking place.

3 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Sorry I thought the emoji thing may have indicated my hopeless attempt at sarcasm which was supposed to invoke gawffaws of laughter from that read it.Just don't tell the cops but I live in Ban Koksuwan.

I'm not into the emoji thing.  Too complicated for me.  I stick to print.  

2 hours ago, webfact said:

The message was clear - forget the doom and gloom - it's still boom! At least according to Yuthasak Suphasorn, the TAT chief.

Ah Khun Yuthasak Suphasorn, also known as Mystic Meg.

2 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Where are TAT,luring, touting ,all these extra tourists from.....

regards Worgeordie

I believe TAT have already developed deep space travel and many tourists well be coming from places like Uranus.

8 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

So post a better one.  Everyone's a critic few can make a movie.  

A better one stating what? That no one here knows the source data and criteria behind the figures. Clearly you are missing the irony behind your own statements.

I rather say nothing, than to spread lies and misinformation. For others, it is their job. For you, it could be that you have nothing better to do with your time.

It is pretty easy to fact-check the TOT numbers over time by cross-referencing BKK and DMK international arrival data including top destinations. You can add international arrivals from other airports, but the trends tell the same story: even under the most optimistic numbers it is impossible that Thailand had over 40M “tourist” arrivals in 2018 compared to ~11M in 2003. 

It is marginally possible that they can define arrivals as tourist in a new way to make the numbers work, but the same definition applied backwards would show something else.

That isn’t to say that Tourism is as bad in Thailand as some suggest; I think there are likely demographic shifts that many here (myself included) don’t fully appreciate as they look at tourism. I will say though that TAT should be drastically downsized, along with a few other make-work ministries. 

53 minutes ago, Traubert said:

Pretty much anyone can see Youtube in China using a VPN. Most don't as they have Youku, iQiYi, etc.

Anyone seeking accurate, informed information shouldn't really rely on Youtube anyway.

Yes true, but doesn't do away with the fact that it is not legal.  I find Youtube to be informative. An educated person would not have any trouble deciphering what is true and what is false. 

From my observations of living in Thailand for more than 15 years it is visible that the number of western tourists dropped considerably, but there was an increase of tourists from China, Middle East and India. Also fun is being steadily destroyed. Thailand is becoming a boring place. No wonder westerners go somewhere else now.

29 minutes ago, JamJar said:

A better one stating what? That no one here knows the source data and criteria behind the figures. Clearly you are missing the irony behind your own statements.

I rather say nothing, than to spread lies and misinformation. For others, it is their job. For you, it could be that you have nothing better to do with your time.

Basically you've insulted me and posted 10 or 20 times that anything posted about Tourism in Thailand is wrong but have never posted what is correct.  That's a chronic complainer.  Is not saying another is wrong but you don't know what is right also spreading lies and misinformation.  For example I said 40 million tourists.  You say that is wrong.  Since you can't prove I'm wrong that is spreading lies and information.  I'm giving you the best information I can find that conforms to trend in tourism in Thailand.

1 hour ago, JamJar said:

Great. This time a graph without source. Even if you had the source, you have no idea of the criteria behind the figures.

I've seen coachloads of Chinese tourists looking as if they have been bussed in direct from their village.

Your numbers on their own mean zilch.

Apart from this, do you think that inviting millions of locusts into a field is somewhat beneficial?

I am sure I read on here were TAT ,admitted they made a mistake

with the numbers,instead of the published 38 million,it was only 28 million.

so can you ever believe the numbers they put out.

regards Worgeordie

58 minutes ago, JamJar said:

Sorry, but the article that you have posted does not agree with your synopsis. It's more than a year old and the changes are already taking place.

It's a projection of the coming year. Yes, the changes are taking place, more FITs than tour groups on super cheap packages, therefore more spending.

However, if the beardy man with his choir of angels made a positive statement, no doubt he'd be wrong too.

11 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

I am sure I read on here were TAT ,admitted they made a mistake

with the numbers,instead of the published 38 million,it was only 28 million.

so can you ever believe the numbers they put out.

regards Worgeordie

If they never admitted a mistake would they be more believable or less.  

3 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

If they never admitted a mistake would they be more believable or less.  

It was a very BIG mistake,or misunderstanding,as they call things now.

regards Worgeordie

32 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

It was a very BIG mistake,or misunderstanding,as they call things now.

regards Worgeordie

Even a better reason to trust them because it was a major loss of face (that concept that some folks think is important in Thailand before they have lived here for a while)

1 hour ago, Thunder26 said:

From my observations of living in Thailand for more than 15 years it is visible that the number of western tourists dropped considerably, but there was an increase of tourists from China, Middle East and India. Also fun is being steadily destroyed. Thailand is becoming a boring place. No wonder westerners go somewhere else now.

When someone takes half your money away it would have been a boring place 10 years ago too.

28 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Ok good, then quickly repack the numbers in tradingeconomics so we get truly reliable charts in here.

No, I think your numbers are far more believable because you are such a trustworthy fellow.  Oh wait.  You have no idea what the numbers should be do you?  

What next?

Tourism numbers exceed one billion?

The Immig. Cops can’t handle arrivals at airports now!

(Their eyes will be lighting up with Baht signs, though, at the thought of all the locals and foreigners they can catch out with their opaque the TM 30 scam.)

Archived