TAT latest: Tourism set for 9% rise in third quarter - yearly expectations to be met

webfact

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, JamJar said:

It is contained within the article. He stated that "trends showed...."

Which trends would those be?

It not something new. he said much the same earlier this month; https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/tourism/tat-governor-predicts-10-revenue-rise-in-2020

...again without pointing to the data.

I didn't ask about information in the article.  I asked what info the poster in question had.  

11 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Yuthasak Suphasorn, the TAT chief is a big liar. He would not know the truth if it bit him on the ankles. As I said in a related post: The "scary" reality for Thailand, is that the neighbors are making a real effort, improving, progressing, and creating a better environment for tourism. While here in Thailand, the environment is one of stagnation, regression, a total lack of vision, xenophobia, fear of foreigners, confused and muddled visa policy, and a baht that is far stronger than it needs to be, should be, or deserves to be. 

No effort is being made to address tourist safety, or public safety in general. No effort is being made to address traffic safety and the horrendous amount of bus, mini-van, car, truck, and motorbike accidents on the roads, or to improve the highway patrol, or even get those incompetent clowns to patrol the highways, and pull people over for reckless driving. No effort is being made to address the understaffed immigration counters at DM, or to tackle corruption on the part of the RTP franchisees. Quite the opposite. They are being deliberately protected. No effort is being made to address the myriad of environmental issues Thailand faces, whether it be the water quality, the air quality, the burning by farmers, the plastic epidemic, the extreme lack of trash cans throughout the nation, and a vast host of other issues, including any effort to reform the tourism ministry, separate it from the sports ministry (hair brained to the extreme), or improve the TAT. Nothing. 

The army is doing nothing, to benefit the people, or tourists. Absolutely nothing. Perhaps even less than zero. Perhaps the name should be changed from the Thai Army to the Nothing men. Of course tourism is dropping. Why would it not be dropping? 

Thai tourism arrivals since military takeover.

thailand-tourist-arrivals@3x.png

3 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Thai tourism arrivals since military takeover.

thailand-tourist-arrivals@3x.png

I do not, and will not ever trust any figures coming from this administration. Sorry. I am a skeptic. Figures can be doctored in a hundred different ways. Have they ever done anything to establish their credibility with you? Plus, it is not just about the numbers. It is also about the quality of the tourist. And what they spend. They lost the quality tourists a long time ago. 

8 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I didn't ask about information in the article.  I asked what info the poster in question had.  

I'm guessing the reports from the major tourism destinations, stating that tourism is down for them.

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics

5 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I do not, and will not ever trust any figures coming from this administration. Sorry. I am a skeptic. Figures can be doctored in a hundred different ways. Have they ever done anything to establish their credibility with you? Plus, it is not just about the numbers. It is also about the quality of the tourist. And what they spend. They lost the quality tourists a long time ago. 

The graph is from Trading Economics (google to see if it is accurate).  If you have better information post it.  All I see is your anti Thai stuff which is always the same and unsubstantiated.  

1 minute ago, marcusarelus said:

The graph is from Trading Economics (google to see if it is accurate).  If you have better information post it.  All I see is your anti Thai stuff which is always the same and unsubstantiated.  

Seems that you have totally missed the point. The data is supplied by MOTS. Who drew up the graph is irrelevant.

Who are they kidding? There are even YouTube videos telling people to not go to Thailand due to the baht, crime, corruption. 

Maybe, more Chinese will come though. Since YouTube is not allowed in China.

7 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Perhaps you can point me towards an "anti Thai" post from spidermike007. I'm not sure that I have ever seen one. Not that I seek out his posts, but they are usually in defence of Thailand and against anti democratic behaviour of the few..

2 minutes ago, JamJar said:

Perhaps you can point me towards an "anti Thai" post from spidermike007. I'm not sure that I have ever seen one. Not that I seek out his posts, but they are usually in defence of Thailand and against anti democratic behaviour.

33 minutes ago he posted, "The army is doing nothing, to benefit the people, or tourists. Absolutely nothing. Perhaps even less than zero. Perhaps the name should be changed from the Thai Army to the Nothing men. Of course tourism is dropping. Why would it not be dropping?"

The Army has been the government of Thailand since 2014.  An anti Army post is a anti Thai government post.  Aside from a couple of posts promoting James Bond style beating up woman most of what I see him post is anti Thai.  Perhaps not the Thailand of 20 years ago but nevertheless anti Thai.    

6 minutes ago, JamJar said:

It states it within the picture that you posted. You didn't check before, during nor after posting? 

Sorry, you are correct and I'm wrong.  I didn't put the abbreviation together.  I thought the Ministry got their information from the Office of Statistics.  

7 minutes ago, Bert Jones said:

I was at the white temple in Chiang Rai yesterday...it was packed with tourists, mostly European...and Chiang Mai is busy too, lots of foreigners walking around... 

Oh don't take their tub away.

What will they thump for the rest of the day?

I'm just puzzled as to why it should matter one whit to anyone that doesnt have a stake in tourism.

Just now, marcusarelus said:

33 minutes ago he posted, "The army is doing nothing, to benefit the people, or tourists. Absolutely nothing. Perhaps even less than zero. Perhaps the name should be changed from the Thai Army to the Nothing men. Of course tourism is dropping. Why would it not be dropping?"

The Army has been the government of Thailand since 2014.  An anti Army post is a anti Thai government post.  Aside from a couple of posts promoting James Bond style beating up woman most of what I see him post is anti Thai.  Perhaps not the Thailand of 20 years ago but nevertheless anti Thai.    

That is just your opinion. My opinion is that your post is just a sad attempt to twist words and meaning.

Now you are claiming "anti Thai Army" when he clearly meant the ruling Junta and then you try to twist that to mean, "anti Thai". Which in my opinion, is a truly sad attempt to smear someone. You should hang your head in shame.

Personally, I disagree with your manufactured opinion and I am sure the man himself will disagree with you. So that is two against one. Let's see if anyone else agrees with you.

2 minutes ago, Traubert said:

Oh don't take their tub away.

What will they thump for the rest of the day?

I'm just puzzled as to why it should matter one whit to anyone that doesnt have a stake in tourism.

It's been a long weekend for the King's birthday so tourist attractions were bound to be rammed

15 minutes ago, PhonThong said:

Who are they kidding? There are even YouTube videos telling people to not go to Thailand due to the baht, crime, corruption. 

Maybe, more Chinese will come though. Since YouTube is not allowed in China.

Pretty much anyone can see Youtube in China using a VPN. Most don't as they have Youku, iQiYi, etc.

Anyone seeking accurate, informed information shouldn't really rely on Youtube anyway.

5 minutes ago, Sticky Wicket said:

It's been a long weekend for the King's birthday so tourist attractions were bound to be rammed

Why would His Majesty's birthday prompt European tourists to visit the White Temple?

So, tourism is off for the year. Westerners are abandoning the place, Chinese numbers are off.

As we go into arguably the lowest point of the year for tourism and a time when islands in the Andaman are closed.

TAT predicts a surge. Actually the numbers should be somewhat available based on airline and especially hotel bookings. This can be fact checked.

1 minute ago, Traubert said:

Why would His Majesty's birthday prompt European tourists to visit the White Temple?

I was talking generally about the weekend, not about Europeans at the white temple.

However it is summer holidays in Europe so there is always a bump around this time.

1 minute ago, marcusarelus said:

Tourist arrivals

TouristArrivals2003-2018.gif

Great. This time a graph without source. Even if you had the source, you have no idea of the criteria behind the figures.

I've seen coachloads of Chinese tourists looking as if they have been bussed in direct from their village.

Your numbers on their own mean zilch.

Apart from this, do you think that inviting millions of locusts into a field is somewhat beneficial?

Archived