Sterling slumps on 'no-deal Brexit' worries; stocks dip

webfact

7 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Okay so you have some sympathy from me, to a point. But let me ask you. You are not old enough to get your state pension. Why are you not working in Thailand, as you are not old enough to retire, unless you are on a personal pension. Did you not think that markets in the world anywhere can have a reduction for anything. Brexit is a classic example,. It hasn't even happened yet and the markets from hearsay, speculation and trying their best to stop investors and people from wanting out of the EU.

Politicians historically have always been more affluent than the common person. Have you seen the wealth of Jeremy Corbyn in that little council house (NOT) in London, of his.

There was a binary democratic referendum with leave winning. It hasn't happened yet and so many are trying to reverse it. You haven't been the UK , so you say for 10 years, so what was your plans moving to Thailand. Why are you blaming the referendum result.  I am genuinely interested to find out more, as i am not flaming you, just want to know more background history.

you ask why is he not working in thailand,are you for real,btw have you ever actually been there?

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, elliss said:

Agree , those people who think the gbp collapse is funny , probably dont even live in Thailand.

Most expats are dependent on pensions , and their values in gbp are falling daily .

A very uncertain future . 

Returning to UK seeking employment , easier said than done .  Good luck..

on your first point they probably don,t even live in britain either,but seem hellbent on attacking a democratic referendum.if the uks so gash why not go to a place thats got its kak together---THE EU.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, zorrow424 said:

least he is going back for a job,you ever worked? or here full time?......Never mind eh!   Eire's time is virtually up Id say,truly the whipping boy of the Brexit solution

you seem to have a problem with Eire,are you one of teddys loyalist buddies? 

• Like 2

While the poster who can no longer support his family has my sympathies on a personal level, I’m afraid that’s the extent of them.
Even in these days of entitlement, there is nothing that entitles a UK pensioner to support a young or older family in a foreign land. (The EU migrants may but you can’t.)
Thailand is still a far off third world country in many respects and should not really be a retirement destination. That so many have done it in recent years does not make it a wise decision. To support families here on a UK pension is just too much and not what the pension entitlement is all about, even though you can spend it on what you like.
To decry the decision of the UK electorate to Leave the EU, because Remainers have contributed to a continued fall in exchange rates, is simply not on from any of you Remainers.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Don't profess to know much about these things but I did notice this,

While driving to work in the US today I was listening to Bloomberg financial news, they were interviewing a currencies trader, and discussing  sterling. The trader said "even at this price sterling is not cheap  " . if that is true, I am afraid you are all in for a rough ride.

Edited by sirineou

8 hours ago, kingdong said:

the eu dosen,t want us to leave[not for any sentimental reason like liberating them from the nazis] just because they want our money,so will not give us sweet fa,i thought it would have been obvious to even the most hardened remainer when cameron went to the eu pleading for a change in eu law to prevent eu citizens coming to the uk and abusing ourwelfare state,they laughed in his face,so what type of deal does anyone think the eu will give us?that scheme remainer may tried to push thru 3 times which would have kept us in forever?

Sure, you can try to blame one side. Good Luck with that. You are only doing it out of partiotic reasons that has been blinding your possibilities to see the problem in a neutral position. I am not saying UK is all wrong nor all right. The same goes for the EU bloc. The thing is that they must both budge their over pushed stances and come to a solid agreement both parties can accept, for the welfare of future UK, European and world economy.

The economy will always get traction again over time, but it´s pure stupidity to deliberately shoot it in the foot.

Edited by Matzzon
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, bristolboy said:

When somebody writes the kind of sentiment that wouldn't be out of place on a greeting card, it's difficult not to detect BS.

Let´s get back to topic and see what your built in BS-detector really can do. How do you look upon the situation then? What kind of solution or idea is better? Let´s hear from the professionals. Don´t repeat yourself, because this much information and questions does not fit on your lovely greeting cards. Let´s hear you out. Provide some of your substantial information.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, bomber said:

you ask why is he not working in thailand,are you for real,btw have you ever actually been there?

Yes worked there for 16 years. I now work in China but class Thailand as my home. I will be going back to work in Thailand. Your comment is a really stupid one asking that question.

He has been there for 10 years making him 52 at the time. Now we all know you are retiring around that age but that is you, not everyone. if you are going to say something constructive do, if not it is best not to, as it makes you look like a ships anchor.

Edited by Laughing Gravy

19 hours ago, jimballard said:

Some people seem to think this is funny. For me and my family this is turning out to be a huge tradgedy. At the age of 62 I can no longer properly support my family in Thailand and will have to leave my wife and children to go back to England to try to find work. I have not been to England for over 10 years and have nothing there. I have no idea what I will do maybe drive a taxi or van. Fun and games for Boris johnson and him millionair mates but disaster for the little people.

19 hours ago, jimballard said:

Some people seem to think this is funny. For me and my family this is turning out to be a huge tradgedy. At the age of 62 I can no longer properly support my family in Thailand and will have to leave my wife and children to go back to England to try to find work. I have not been to England for over 10 years and have nothing there. I have no idea what I will do maybe drive a taxi or van. Fun and games for Boris johnson and him millionair mates but disaster for the little people.

I don't and many people don't think it at all "funny" and yes been here over 10 years and the situation is not good on a frozen state pension and pee poor exchange rate and yes we know partly but also the very very strong Baht and yes raising a Family is getting harder and harder.
Many people have no property or indeed any Family and yes all over the World British subjects, particularly those in Canada who also suffer frozen State pensions and yes decreasing amounts to spen each year.
The Thais are suffering too, let's not forget and those who export their produce abroad are getting less and less and of course prices sometimes it seems go up 100 per cent.
By the way, it is getting even more difficult to go back and also being British does not help but one has to have 63K in savings and over 18,600 earnings to be able to bring your wife to the UK.
It was very hard indeed 12 years ago and now just about impossible and yes Families in Thailand and elsewhere are being seperated. But what do do???

11 hours ago, kingdong said:

whilst i sympathise with your personal position,it would appear the baht is getting too strong against all major currencies,not just sterling,and its not all down to brexit..still, you still have a country you can go back to[at the moment]

Yeah lol a country we can go back too. Really and they will ask stupid questions "As why did you leave in the first place"
Yes agrees the Baht is so very strong against many currencies and the manipulators coining huge profits for keeping currencies high and let's not forget the Thais are really suffering and it seems prices going through the roof with much smaller spending power ie frozen state pension and these pee poor exchange rates.
Going back is getting harder and also impossible with Thia Family and many have no Family back there or property but you have to have 63K in savings and earn 1,800  Sterling a month, which most of us have not got after providing homes for our loved ones.
Hard times indeed and yes Families having to split up.

Edited by john west
just alterd an amount needed each month
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, BritManToo said:

You can take your children, father with 2 kids gets you a minimum income of 20,000 UK pounds.

If one of your kids has a medical disability, I would have thought she would be better off in the UK.

Or you could economise and learn to live on less here.

If you already own your own home, 15-20kbht/month should be achievable.

Well it is not and do you know education for one very very expensive. Sorry impossible to live on that.

2 minutes ago, john west said:

Well it is not and do you know education for one very very expensive. Sorry impossible to live on that.

Education until age 19 is free in the UK.

University is optional, and dad doesn't have to pay for it.

Edited by BritManToo

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

IAM TALKING ABOUT tHAILAND EDUCATION OK 30K PER TERM AND RISING FOR EACH STUDENT

7 minutes ago, john west said:

IAM TALKING ABOUT tHAILAND EDUCATION OK 30K PER TERM AND RISING FOR EACH STUDENT

Thailand,

My 8 year old costs 6k/term for the uniforms/books/extras in the Amphur government school.

My 20 year old costs 10k/term plus 1,000bht/week in 'living expenses' at CMR University.

Two terms a year,

Not all that expensive IMHO, and only just over a year of university left, then she says she'll be paying to support me.

Edited by BritManToo

5 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Thailand,

My 8 year old costs 6k/term for the uniforms/books/extras in the Amphur government school.

My 20 year old costs 10k/term plus 1,000bht/week in 'expenses' at CMR University.

Two terms a year,

Not all that expensive IMHO, and only just over a year of university left, then she says she'll be paying to support me.

5 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Thailand,

My 20 year old costs 10k/term plus 1,000bht/week in 'expenses' at CMR University.

Two terms a year,

Pleased for you and yes the added bookis and other stuff too and pocket money and ours is not a Government school but nice that you Daughter going to help you when your money dries up. I keep telling this to our two!!! 30,000 plus for one term for one student.

Edited by john west

4 minutes ago, john west said:

Pleased for you and yes the added bookis and other stuff too and pocket money and ours is not a Government school but nice that you Daughter going to help you when your money dries up. I keep telling this to our two!!! 30,000 plus for one term for one student.

Nobody forces you to send your children to private school.

My advice to everyone, learn to live within your means.

If you ain't rich, your kids must attend government school.

55 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Actually it's been mostly Brexiters who have tried to mitigate the extent of the fall of the pound by claiming that it's not only the pound that has been falling in value against the Thai baht. As if the Thai baht counted for much in the world economy.

Read this then:

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/31/thai-baht-strength-sparks-concerns-with-thailand-economy-slowing.html

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bristolboy said:

It's pretty simple. What the UK wants is the kind of deal that would make membership in the EU, on balance. much less attractive. Why be a member or some kind of associate when you can get so many benefits without being one? Repeatedly, before the election, the EU warned that what Brexit leaders were promising was simply out of the question. The EU leaders have never denied that Brexit will hurt the EU. It's Brexiters with their fantasies that improved access to markets elsewhere will fully or nearly compensate for the losses incurred by leaving the EU, who bear the responsibility for this mess.

Incorrect. What the UK wants is to Leave with a clean break. None of this backstop, divorce settlement nonsense. Leave. After we have left we would like a sensible trade deal with the EU. That's it. No unicorns, no fairies, no special treatment, just a simple trade deal like the many of thousands of trade deals between countries around the globe.

Given the EU has a 64 Billion pound trade surplus with the UK they should also want a trade deal with us. Thus, they must decide do they want to continue trading with us relatively freely (Win Win) or do they wish to punish us for leaving (Screw the UK while simultaneously screwing their own industries). In other words, are they happy to be slapped in the face 20 times in order to slap the UK in the face 25 times? Or do they want to act maturely, reluctantly shake hands and work together?

My opinion? They will probably drag their feet/give us the cold shoulder for a couple of years after we have left (losing face is not only a Thai phenomenon) before the German car industry, French wine industry etc. gets their teeth into them and then they will swallow their pride and return to the table. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

16 minutes ago, nauseus said:

I was replying to this:

"The Chinese are complaining about the Thai baht and how strong it is compared to the RMB. Maybe I shall tell them its because of brexit. as the so called financial experts on here ,would have us believe that is the only reason."

Clearly i was referring to the posters on thaivisa.com.

Not sure what your link is supposed to prove. The article linked to makes no mention of the pound or how much it declined in value relative to the baht.

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

Incorrect. What the UK wants is to Leave with a clean break. None of this backstop, divorce settlement nonsense. Leave. After we have left we would like a sensible trade deal with the EU. That's it. No unicorns, no fairies, no special treatment, just a simple trade deal like the many of thousands of trade deals between countries around the globe.

Given the EU has a 64 Billion pound trade surplus with the UK they should also want a trade deal with us. Thus, they must decide do they want to continue trading with us relatively freely (Win Win) or do they wish to punish us for leaving (Screw the UK while simultaneously screwing their own industries). In other words, are they happy to be slapped in the face 20 times in order to slap the UK in the face 25 times? Or do they want to act maturely, reluctantly shake hands and work together?

My opinion? They will probably drag their feet/give us the cold shoulder for a couple of years after we have left (losing face is not only a Thai phenomenon) before the German car industry, French wine industry etc. gets their teeth into them and then they will swallow their pride and return to the table. 

Why does the UK have to wait until it has left the EU before negotiating UK/EU trade deals?

One of the things that has annoyed me the most about this fiasco is the way the UK govt. allowed negotiating UK/EU trade deals to be put to the very bottom of the agenda.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

59 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

I was replying to this:

"The Chinese are complaining about the Thai baht and how strong it is compared to the RMB. Maybe I shall tell them its because of brexit. as the so called financial experts on here ,would have us believe that is the only reason."

Clearly i was referring to the posters on thaivisa.com.

Not sure what your link is supposed to prove. The article linked to makes no mention of the pound or how much it declined in value relative to the baht.

The link demonstrates the strength of the Baht. That is all.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Why does the UK have to wait until it has left the EU before negotiating UK/EU trade deals?

One of the things that has annoyed me the most about this fiasco is the way the UK govt. allowed negotiating UK/EU trade deals to be put to the very bottom of the agenda.

You'll find predictions of that happening filed under 'Project Fear'.