Why it’s time to step away from Thailand

connda

Lol...  Yes,  if I told my wife I bought her to Australia I would get a thumping. When I wrote that post,  I had taken my nightly medication and was pretty zonked out. 

The AUD is just weak against the USD. Our Government wants a weak dollar; nothing to do with Thailand. Yes,  in many ways it is cheaper at home if you don't smoke or drink at the pub. Good wines are cheap. I just miss my beach the most but you cannot let the politics of Thailand bring you down as you are only making yourself feel bad. I read TV and don't get depressed. I know what I have signed up for and if it ever gets too tough, we just go home. As others have said, Thailand is set up for Thais, the Elites or the 1% of this world control most of what we see. Yes, we are just guests and I understand that. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, grifbel said:

What are you posing as?  Ill-informed perhaps!

I'm posting as an informed westerner residing in Thailand but thanks for asking.  To most posters this is obvious.  Any westerner living in condos or apartments where other westerners live, saw foreigners starting to move on to other countries or returning to their own country at the first of this year.  This is when Thai Immigration launched their campaign to encourage foreigners to leave Thailand, by tightening their rules and regulations to live full time in Thailand.

The foreigners who dug in their heels and chose to stay, found themselves having to deposit 800,000 baht into a Thai bank instead of having the flexability to keep this money invested in a western banks or brokage firms earning dividends as well as the growth of the stocks that pay the dividends.  I have noticed by some comments made by apologists, many don't understand the benefit of earning compound interest on their money, and believe 800,000 baht in a Thai bank is reasonable, lol.  

Then immigration in their infinate wisdom decided it was time to strictly enforce their idoitic TM forms for all expat movement.    This required a ridiculous 24 hour reporting period to report after returning to the Kingdom from another country.  Immigration has imposed a fine, if the reporting goes over the 24 hour alloted time limit.  Wow, that should be an eye opener and wake up call for most foreigners who call Thailand their home.  To Immigrations credit, they do not require a TM form to be submitted for any bowel movements at this time.  However, look for this requirement in the future.

Now immigration released what they refer to as a smart van.  Huh, what??  You have got to be joking.  Western law enforcement  had computers installed in their police vehicles for years.  These people act as if they just invented them.  The smart van driven by an immigration officer can roam the streets and back alleys of Thailands cities in search of people who look different than Thais.  The officer aboard the smart van can detain the foreigner on the street, while they run a computer check to ascertain if they have what they commonly refer to as a bad foreigner.  Immigrations idea of the difference between what they refer to as a bad or good foreigner differs widely.  You just can't make stuff like this up folks.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, CMNightRider said:

Any westerner living in condos or apartments where other westerners live, saw foreigners starting to move on to other countries or returning to their own country at the first of this year.

I was advised at the last Chiang Mai expats meeting by a friend who went,  figures of around 20% of people from that meeting were in the midst of leaving Chiang Mai this year due to two things. 

Funds in the bank needed

Pollution levels

There was a detailed Facebook post on this in Chiang Mai Expats. 

Edited by totally thaied up
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, totally thaied up said:

I was advised at the last Chiang Mai expats meeting by a friend who went,  figures of around 20% of people were in the midst of leaving Chiang Mai this year due to two things. 

Funds in the bank needed

Pollution levels

The last time I checked, the air quality problem during the burning season has been here for decades.  As I previously mentioned, the loonie idea of depositing 800,000 baht into a Thai bank rather than having the flexibility to keep your money in western banks or brokerage firms was the last straw for many expats.

The TM form idea has increased the 20% of foreigners who are leaving. ???? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, White Christmas13 said:

no not intelligent but for somebody who talks crap does not deserve a better one

Another crap response is hardly going to teach him anything.  Why not try showing him the error of his ways.  You live in a Western country (not Thailand) isn't that the way they do it there?

3 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

I don't see that.  Thai roads, sidewalks, education, voting, general knowledge, soi dogs, military, corruption, farming, and many other things especially those we can't talk about are in bad shape.  However having said that the old wives tales and bar room economics that are accepted as fact here are ludicrous.  Biggest problems are comparing documented statistics with anecdotal evidence or barroom bs.  The Thai bank does not control the pound.  Sorry but it does not.  Racial stereotypes are not correct.  Thailand is not a 3rd world farming economy.   

I feel a commitment to truth.  When you post something back it up and stop calling people names and flaming as a response to valid information. 

Loose the flaming stuff.  Stop trying to hijack every post with anti Thai talking points.  Concentrate on the message and not attack the poster. 

Thai roads are in fantastic shape compared to the horrendous donkey tracks that they call "roads" in Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia and even to a large extent, Vietnam. So on that measure, Thailand is doing exceptionally well. Also, 3 new intercity expressway projects are currently under construction with more being planned.

Sidewalks could be better, but they aren't any worse than in neighboring countries.

The rest is mostly true but applies just as much in the rest of the region as here.

1 hour ago, totally thaied up said:

Lol...  Yes,  if I told my wife I bought her to Australia I would get a thumping. When I wrote that post,  I had taken my nightly medication and was pretty zonked out.  

The AUD is just weak against the USD. Our Government wants a weak dollar; nothing to do with Thailand. Yes,  in many ways it is cheaper at home if you don't smoke or drink at the pub. Good wines are cheap. I just miss my beach the most but you cannot let the politics of Thailand bring you down as you are only making yourself feel bad. I read TV and don't get depressed. I know what I have signed up for and if it ever gets too tough, we just go home. As others have said, Thailand is set up for Thais, the Elites or the 1% of this world control most of what we see. Yes, we are just guests and I understand that.  

Not much different in most other countries in the region. Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Myanmar, India, China. All definitely places that are set-up for locals and not so much for foreigners, though to it's credit Thailand is still fairly friendly towards foreigners just that it offers a lot more privileges to locals. The 1% elite own most of the wealth so your average working class Thai is not much better off than your average foreigner except that they have, in theory, the right to own land and can visit national parks for the local rate. And of course can stay without a visa and apply for any job without needing a work permit. But without the right skills, connections and experience, they really don't have much of a chance of making it here either.

Still, for foreigners Myanmar is far worse - passport checks in many parts of the country, foreign tourists not allowed to stay at hotels (what's that about?) About 20% of the country completely off-limits to all foreigners. All sorts of loans (other than credit cards) banned for foreigners irrespective of visa type or salary by central bank decree.

3 hours ago, Winky Wilson said:

Being in Thailand is not a right it is a privilege

Okay, you got to understand this privilege is most likely coming from the top 1% of those that hold power in Thailand and people like myself that have married, brought in millions of baht, started to make a life here, can be thrown to the wolves at anytime? 

In my country my wife gets a say. She can get PR and then Citizenship easy. Here, I do not get a fair shake of the stick because in many ways, people are just too scared to say things because those that are privileged, hold your right in staying here. I have welded myself to my wife in this country but I know at a moments notice, requirements can be changed and for me, a Plan B has to be always on a back burner if things were to change. Do I think they will change? No, most likely not but when you have NO stable roots here to embed your family for the coming generations as you are not counted as one here, you got to wonder why you do it. I would like to build something for my family that would stand the tests of time, I have the money to be able to do this but when I do not have the stability, tell me why should I? Do I want a big house here to be my Gravestone? Could I build up a decent family business like I could at home in Australia and see if flourish and know it is all mine? Yes some people do it but then I have seen a lot of my friends after 10 years here go to the wayside and go back home as it just was too hard in the end.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, totally thaied up said:

Okay, you got to understand this privilege is most likely coming from the top 1% of those that hold power in Thailand and people like myself that have married, brought in millions of baht, started to make a life here, can be thrown to the wolves at anytime? 

In my country my wife gets a say. She can get PR and then Citizenship easy. Here, I do not get a fair shake of the stick because in many ways, people are just too scared to say things because those that are privileged, hold your right in staying here. I have welded myself to my wife in this country but I know at a moments notice, requirements can be changed and for me, a Plan B has to be always on a back burner if things were to change. Do I think they will change? No, most likely not but when you have NO stable roots here to embed your family for the coming generations as you are not counted as one here, you got to wonder why you do it. I would like to build something for my family that would stand the tests of time, I have the money to be able to do this but when I do not have the stability, tell me why should I? Do I want a big house here to be my Gravestone? Could I build up a decent family business like I could at home in Australia and see if flourish and know it is all mine? Yes some people do it but then I have seen a lot of my friends after 10 years here go to the wayside and go back home as it just was too hard in the end. 

Good post but I'd say it depends. Thai citizenship is a possibility for foreigners (way better than PR and perhaps easier to qualify for) provided you meet and exceed the requirements and are very committed. I could be wrong but I was under the impression female foreigners who marry Thais are afforded immediate Thai citizenship? More hoops to jump through for men, but still if white women can get Thai citizenship just by marrying a local then that's way easier than what Thais have to do to get citizenship of a western country.

Build a business in Australia? Very difficult these days. Too many regulations and the business tax rate is too high. Almost easier to do so in Thailand, provided you meet all the silly requirements like minimum number of Thai workers.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, totally thaied up said:

In my country my wife gets a say. She can get PR and then Citizenship easy.

And if you were a foreign woman with a Thai husband in Thailand it would be the same.

Thailand doesn't want foreign men and our home countries would have been so much better if they didn't want foreign men either.

Edited by BritManToo

2 hours ago, CMNightRider said:

The last time I checked, the air quality problem during the burning season has been here for decades.

In the previous decade it lasted 2-4 weeks, this year it lasted 4 months.

If it had lasted 4 months in my first year here, I would have been here a second year.

Edited by BritManToo

2 hours ago, CMNightRider said:

Immigrations idea of the difference between what they refer to as a bad or good foreigner differs widely.

Between 100bht and 500bht, depending on how much the foreigner has in his pocket at the time.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

And if you were a foreign woman with a Thai husband in Thailand it would be the same.

Thailand doesn't want foreign men and our home countries would have been so much better if they didn't want foreign men either.

Same policy is in effect in Malaysia and Singapore.

3 minutes ago, Sandy Freckle said:

I guess it depends on where you choose to live and which so called 'friends' you choose to associate with. In many parts of Australia many people have evolved.., and even attained some level of enlightenment and empathy. 

My wife and I would go Rock and Roll dancing. The local club and all the women loved my wife. We danced on the streets in a major Rock and Roll weekend and at least a 1/8 of the people dancing in the thousands that were there were Asian. Australia has moved a long way forward since the 1960-1970 period. Sure we have racist bogans as well and yes, I know that exists but it depends on the crowd and age group you are around. Plenty of good people around. 

• Like 2