Study shows fewer than half of Thailand’s motorcycle users wear helmets

webfact

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did the statistics include Police who still drive without helmets? Solution is simple, enforce, enforce and continue. At same time make it mandatory to get PROPER rated safety helmets, not the plastic crap.

3 hours ago, dotpoom said:

I believe it's either Vietnam or Cambodia where 100% of motorcyclists wear helmets....why...because if they are found not wearing one...their bike is confiscated... End of problem.

A few years ago in Vietnam I watched the cops do the confiscating of the bikes. They were just piled into the back of a truck without ceremony.

I can only imagine what the unloading was like.  

Just for a 'laugh', as I was stuck in central Bangkok traffic, I counted the first 100 people on bikes to come past me.

Helmets : 88

No Helmets : 12

All those without helmets were passengers, including 1 small child perched on dad's lap.

Helped pass the time as I waited for my 180 second red light countdown...

Most of the helmets on sale here are sub standard and offer not much protection. most are ill fitting and makes them even more unsafe. i use a cycling helmet of good quality with a much higher protest standard than the normal skid lids . However the police still don't recognize them as a helmet . and you can still get fined . 

28 minutes ago, Just1Voice said:

Vietnam. 

They still have a very high death toll, according to reports. They have exactly the same problems as Thailand - poor driver education, bribery, etc. Apart from increasing the fines to astonishing levels, impounding bikes, etc, a change in mindset is also needed. 

is this based on just drivers or all passengers?

I think the study should be a little more accurate in its less than 50% as I think it will be far lower than 49% for example

and if we look at passengers you are joking

6 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

They needed a study to find out that ?? 

Just sit at any main junction and watch for 30 mins !! 

The only surprising thing is that 52% actually wear them... 

Make that nearer 0% not wearing helmets after 6 pm  ????

Can't wait to see what the next study tells us! ????

I agree it varies by location. There is more enforcement in say BKK than the provinces. Pattaya there is almost no enforcement and occasionally you see officers riding with no helmet.

It is law, like it or not and it can be a life saver. Enforcement is what’s needed.

Crazy to ride without one in my opinion.

4 hours ago, dotpoom said:

I believe it's either Vietnam or Cambodia where 100% of motorcyclists wear helmets....why...because if they are found not wearing one...their bike is confiscated... End of problem.

Exactly of course there would be the up cry of how people are going to get too work, kids too school etc same as when they were going too stop people riding in the back of pick up trucks.

i would also implement a law for drinking and driving, impound the vehicle and crush it.

its easy to know when there is a crackdown in Pattaya all the Scooter Taxi riders are wearing crash hats. 

If a study were to be conducted concerning the quality of the crash helmets that are used it would be seen that they are the cheapest produst and only cost about 100 Baht and are not safe to wear.  Even those the police hand out are of an inferior grade.  As the quality is so poor why not make it manditory their be an acceptable quality standard and the cheap things do not get onto the open market.

'nuf sed.

1 hour ago, rwill said:

I would say the same percentage have burnt out lights on their motorbikes.  And a bulb only costs 10 baht.

I drive home regularly from Prachuap in evening to my home its 15km door to door 90% rural drive

Once out of town I rarely see motorcycles or salengs with rear lights actually to be honest  most have no lights  , as for helmet forget it 

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

A few years ago in Vietnam I watched the cops do the confiscating of the bikes. They were just piled into the back of a truck without ceremony.

I can only imagine what the unloading was like.  

Tipping them straight into a crusher?

8 minutes ago, flyfrog said:

They should charge 5000 b per person not wearing helmets, then they will learn. The 400 b they charge now is nothing. Keeps them laughing????

Police don't stop Thais, because they have no money to pay fines...

2 minutes ago, Jonah Tenner said:

Tipping them straight into a crusher?

I would start off with a big advertising campaign,telling people in 1 months time  if they are caught not wearing a helmet their bike will be crushed, no questions asked.

Archived