Study shows fewer than half of Thailand’s motorcycle users wear helmets

webfact

6 minutes ago, mlmcleod said:

Is it any surprise?  In the non-urban areas it is hard to find anyone wearing a helmet.  Of course, whenever they are stopped at the roadblocks, they are given a free pass since they are Thai and too poor to pay fines.  The farangs are all lined up with cash paying the officers.  Another double standard in Thailand.

They only surprise is that they needed a study to understand what is blatantly obvious to most.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It cost a lot of money for a poor Thai family to buy helmets for everyone.  Even if it's Big C standard. But If they can afford to buy a bike, really whats the prize for a human life....?

ST_20170521_YAROAD21_3155446.jpg?itok=h8

RE - Chiang Mai has the highest rate of crash helmet users in the northern region,

* Wonder why the famous pollution issue came to my mind … :whistling:

22 hours ago, mike787 said:

impressive!!!  Now, for the bigger question...WHY?

That's a good question. Lack of education, lack of enforcement, lack of common sense, too lazy, complacent, stupidity. Take your pick. 

Interestingly as afraid of the sun and dark skin as they are which is why they ware coats in the scorching heat you'd think helmets would be more popular as protection from the sun! 

On 7/31/2019 at 4:26 AM, cornishcarlos said:

They needed a study to find out that ?? 

Just sit at any main junction and watch for 30 mins !! 

The only surprising thing is that 52% actually wear them... 

Agreed.

However, I strenuously disagree with their findings. Even the most casual observation reveals the number to less than 10%, and closer to zero in rural areas.

I'my curious how and where they obtained their data.

No enforcement = no compliance.

"Urging" is futile.

On 7/31/2019 at 8:57 AM, Is this real said:

If no enforcement, which means work and effort, no compliance.

Most of the helmets in use are nothing more than "Brain Buckets" that offer no protection with any head impact.  Quality helmets start at β6,000 and much more.  How many Thais can afford that?

How many good helmets could be purchased if the price was subsidized instead of buying useless armored personnel carriers, submarines, fighter planes, and combat helicopters.

BS, You can purchase a DOT and ECE R 22.05 certified helmet for around 2000THB, i. e. from REAL. Check Lazada or better your local dealer, as you want to try them on before buying.

Perhaps we also need a study to show what percentage of motorcycle/scooter riders use their mobile phones as well. What are the statistics for head injuries and the cost. Meanwhile the farang will now need insurance because of the impact on the gov't hospitals etc. 

On 7/31/2019 at 4:06 PM, Pdavies99 said:

Can be fixed, Police should lock up the bikes for say first offence one month, 2nd offence 3 months, 3rd offence lose the bike!!

Yes, the Police can solve the problem easily, they already set-up road check points. Impounding vehicles is a good option.

On 7/31/2019 at 6:48 AM, MaxYakov said:

Not to mention they can't hear approaching vehicles.

BTW, The excuse I've gotten from Thai bicyclists is that they don't need rear view mirrors because they can simply hear approaching vehicles.

Even without a helmet they can't hear just ask the b***h that side swiped my truck and me steady on the horn. Of course some guys picked her and her bike up and off she went

• 1 month later...

Survey!!!!!

Are these people idiots!

Why waste money and effort on a survey?

The police, teachers, guardians, the general public are all aware of the law. What is it with Thai? They seem so reluctant to conform to a benifit to life... That is also aimed at those idiot farang.  They should and do know better. 

3 hours ago, overherebc said:

Your head mate. Don't ask for help when you crack your head on the road. 

GRcartoon-480x327.jpg

It's freedom of choice I don't ride here but in the states if I was in a state without a helmet law I removed mine even in my home state of Georgia all I wore was a small helmet that wasn't dot certified when you bought the helmet they gave you a sticker to put in it

Archived