TM30 issue

Yesterday my wife went to Sriracha immigration to ask about the exact law and requirements for the TM 30 as we are going up country for a few days’ later this month.

She was told that every time I leave Sriracha for overnight stay I should inform the Thai police I.e. report to the police station before I go and she should fill in a TM 30 when we get back.

And if we are staying with family someone from that end must fill in a TM 30 and I should report to the police up country and inform them when I am leaving.

This TM 30 business is getting a little bit silly to say the least.

Edited by CharlieH
Correct title inserted
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Nobody at immigration will know of these comings and goings, don't worry about it. 

Only becomes an issue if you leave the country or some hotel/guest house/ condo submits a TM30 in your name.

• Thanks 1

This sounds unbelievable. There must be a misunderstanding or that something got lost in translation between wife and IO to wife and foreigner.

Not because I believe they will pick up the phone, I will actually call the same office and ask about this. Let´s just see if I will get the same information.

8 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

This sounds unbelievable. There must be a misunderstanding or that something got lost in translation between wife and IO to wife and foreigner.

Not because I believe they will pick up the phone, I will actually call the same office and ask about this. Let´s just see if I will get the same information.

What they tell you is actually correct, although you would report when you arrive at a new address and return home, within 24 hours to immigration offices. The practicalities is, who is to know if you do not? A  local rural police station likely would look at you as nuts. 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

I have applied for my last few retirement extensions at Eayong Immigration a matter of weeks after returning from an annual trip to Europe, most recently as 3 weeks ago. On no occasion have I or my wife as housemaster been informed that a fresh TM30 was required - even though the new TM30-related notices in Thai as have been reported elsewhere on here were on clear display last time!

Edited by OJAS

1 minute ago, WorriedNoodle said:

There must be many expats, myself included, actively avoiding hotels these days as the TM30 followup is too inconvenient. A pity for the hotel industry?

You hit the nail on the head! I now avoid hotels, as I'm sure most of us will, until they are clear on this matter. The hotel industry also needs to get clarity on this issue from Immigration.

10 minutes ago, WorriedNoodle said:

There must be many expats, myself included, actively avoiding hotels these days as the TM30 followup is too inconvenient. A pity for the hotel industry?

That's one of the things I've thought all along about this TM30 B.S....

Biggest disincentive yet against expats doing recreational domestic travel here....

...aside from getting killed on the roads en route, facing ripoff tuk tuks and song ths when you arrive, swimming in sewage in the ocean or getting electrocuted while in the swimming pool, etc etc.

Not all Immigration offices apparently are enforcing it domestically, but BKK CW is AFAIK. And that covers a lot of expats.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

1 minute ago, Johnny Rotten said:

You hit the nail on the head! I now avoid hotels, as I'm sure most of us will, until they are clear on this matter. The hotel industry also needs to get clarity on this issue from Immigration.

Well I believe it is clear for the hotels, they must report all foreigners staying giving passport and TM6 details.  It is non tourist foreigners caught in a net of confusion.

4 minutes ago, Johnny Rotten said:

they have had "clarity" on this issue for years. they ask for ID and report you when you check in.

On July 8th this year I left for NL from CR, without notifying Immigration/police on forehand as I never did before. After returning last friday afternoon my wife and I popped in at about 3:10pm, the IO requested my passport and my TM6 and she send me off with a new date for the 90day reporting. No forms and no need to show the blue book or my wife's thai ID, although available on demand..

27 minutes ago, Johnny Rotten said:

Just stay at short time hotels. Prices are fair and some of them are suprisingly good for a great rate. I went to a 'rong pleng' party at one last month with mezzanine level and several large baths and spas. It was a gem.

19 hours ago, WorriedNoodle said:

Yep. I find myself these days hiding in the car while the Wife books in.