Thailand VS Vietnam? Which one will be better in 5yrs?

3 hours ago, HeyHeyHey said:

I spent 1/3 of the past few years in Thailand, 1/3 in Vietnam and the rest elsewhere.

Yes, Vietnam is behind Thailand for some conveniences - ie not many luxury condos (yet)

But they are investing and building fast.

BigC in Vietnam is almost 50% cheaper for the same items in company with Thailand. Wine and beer dirt cheap, food similar.

I don't like HCMC personally, but the north and central up to Hue / Danang / HoiAn are great.

Personally I prefer VN by a small margin, but this margin is just growing bigger. Just the no hustle visa, super friendly immigration make it worthy. It is becoming pain in the ass to stay in Thailand unless you want to waste 500k on elite visa.

How they manage to stay long term when the maximal period is 3 months? The cost for 3-4 border runs a year (if flights are used) may add considerably to the cost of living. Any other option available? 

• Like 1

Reported Troll post and subsequent responses removed.

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, GeKoSc said:

How they manage to stay long term when the maximal period is 3 months? The cost for 3-4 border runs a year (if flights are used) may add considerably to the cost of living. Any other option available? 

Americans can get a 1 year VISA.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, SteveK said:

How many old black men or old white women are ex-pats in Thailand?

I'm not saying that old white guys are cancer. I'm saying that they are seen as a cancer by governments such as Thailand's, hence all the effort to force them out. Please read my post before posting stupid comments.

I see plenty of black men and white woman expats where I live, just because you don’t see them doesn’t mean they aren’t there, please comment on facts you know and don’t assume. I don’t have any problems with the Thai government’s visa requirements they are easy to obtain.

Edited by Mbaki
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, jessebkk1 said:

if you're in thailand and over 50 a retire and have about 3million Baht in the Bank, do not intend on doing business in Thailand and don't mind doing the 90 day and the TM 30 every time you leave your province, then Thailand isnt that Bad. Everyone else who's not that checklist above has no reason to pick Thailand over vietnam.

Concur 100%

• Like 2

I’ve been visiting VN for many years to the north, south, mountains and central areas. I really enjoy my 2 or 3 visits a year but as much as I like it here I don’t want live here (I’m in Vietnam now). 

The country is progressing rapidly and I believe it will overtake Thailand in not too many years. The attitude towards foreigners both as expats and investors is much better than Thailand. The Vietnamese mind is much more open, they’re willing to listen and learn without feeling a loss of face.

To be honest I wish I felt I could live here but for now, even with the negativity towards us getting ever more prevalent, Thailand is still where I want to live

• Like 2