Steps to get marriage visa?

Hi all, 

I'm new here and could really use your help. I'm a US citizen and my wife is dual US and Thai citizen. We are planning to move to Bangkok and live there for a year or maybe more. I did some research online regarding the Visa situation for me but I'm still confused. My understanding is that:

1. Go to the Thai Consulate in Los Angeles and apply for a Non Immigrant O 90 day Visa.

2. Fly to Bangkok

3. Set up a Thai Bank Account and deposit 800k Baht

4. Wait for 70 days (more than 2 months from time the money is deposited into the bank account.

5. Go (some government place) to apply for a Marriage Visa. (How long will this take? What if my 90 days is expired and I don't yet have the marriage visa?)

Did I get the process right? I can't just apply for a Marriage Visa at the Thai Consulate in Los Angeles?

Anything specific I should watch out for during this whole process?

Thank you so much for your help!!

1/2 Yes you can.

3. For a one year extension of stay (it is not a visa)  based upon marriage to a Thai you only need 400k baht in a Thai bank for 2 months.

4. You can apply for he extension during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry or when you have the had 400k baht in the bank for 2 months.

5. You apply for the one year extension of stay at the designated immigration office for where you are living.

When you apply for the extension based upon marriage you will get under consideration stamp that allow you to stay in the country until it is approved with a report back date 30 days from when you apply for the extension.

You cannot apply for a non-o visa at a embassy or consulate that allows you to stay for a year without leaving the country. You can get a multiple entry non-o visa that is valid for one year from the date of issue that allows unlimited 90 entries until it expires.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

1/2 Yes you can.

3. For a one year extension of stay (it is not a visa)  based upon marriage to a Thai you only need 400k baht in a Thai bank for 2 months.

4. You can apply for he extension during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry or when you have the had 400k baht in the bank for 2 months.

5. You apply for the one year extension of stay at the designated immigration office for where you are living.

When you apply for the extension based upon marriage you will get under consideration stamp that allow you to stay in the country until it is approved with a report back date 30 days from when you apply for the extension.

You cannot apply for a non-o visa at a embassy or consulate that allows you to stay for a year without leaving the country. You can get a multiple entry non-o visa that is valid for one year from the date of issue that allows unlimited 90 entries until it expires.

Hi Joe,

As for #3, do you have to keep a minimum in the bank for a certain amount of time after the extension is granted as you do for other types of extensions?  Thanks for all your time in keeping us well informed!

8 minutes ago, DrPhibes said:

As for #3, do you have to keep a minimum in the bank for a certain amount of time after the extension is granted as you do for other types of extensions? 

For a extension of stay based upon marriage there is no requirement to keep the 400k baht in the bank after you get your extension. Many offices are requireming it remain in the account during the under consideration period now.

If you would like to travel the region during your stay in Thailand perhaps just get the multi entry O visa and no need for 400k in bank account here or extension of stay from immigration if you leave every 90 days or less and come back when you want.  But if you/wife need to remain in Thailand then the extension of stay would be better.

7 minutes ago, asiaexpat said:

You must register your marriage with the local district office (called Ket in Bangkok) and may need to have it verified by the uS Consulate and translated into Thai then approved by The Thai MFA. 

Only if they were married in the US. I see no mentioned of that in the OP.

Not needed if they got married here. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Only if they were married in the US. I see no mentioned of that in the OP.

Not needed if they got married here. 

I assumed since the OP said "planning to move" and both are US citizens that they were married in the USA. 

If at least age 50, seems to me it would be easier to get a one year Multi-Entry O-A Visa based on Retirement in the USA prior to moving to Thailand. The financial requirements are based on income or money in the USA, not Thailand. Then near the end of that first one year while the visa is still valid, exit/re-enter Thailand to get a second one year period, giving almost 2 years of stay in Thailand. If during the second year a trip outside Thailand is wanted, just remember to get a Re-Entry Permit prior to leaving.

Edited by poka513