Do you agree with proposals for a 120 kmph speed limit?

webfact

Do you agree with proposals for a 120 kmph speed limit? 

8pm1.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Thai media has posed a question following the new transport minister's proposal to raise the speed limit on four lane roads from 90 milometers an hour to a blanket 120 kmph limit. 

In a banner headline Daily News asked the people if they agreed with the scheme.

And they also asked if they agreed with banning trucks from the metropolitan area for all times except midnight to 4 am. 

Saysayam Chidchob wants to improve traffic flow with the new measures. 

Critics have said that increasing speed will increase accidents. Others have said that it makes no difference - Thais drive at whatever speed they want anyway. 

Yesterday a top traffic policeman responded cautiously to the proposals, notes Thaivisa. 

Pol Col Ekkarat Limsangkat has often been in the news over the last year as he has headed an RTP committee looking into changes in the law on Thailand's roads. 

He said that the police will be looking into the minister's proposals but reminded the public that it would only apply to four lane roads like expressways and the Chonburi motorway. 

He acknowledged that some stretches of such roads already have 120 kmph limits. 

He said that work needed to be done to look at the kinds of road, environmental conditions, road widths and exits and entrances. 

Only then could a recommendation be sent back to the Transport Ministry. 

The truck proposals would see large vehicles banned from the capital's streets to a greater degree than at present. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-08-01

7 minutes ago, webfact said:

And they also asked if they agreed with banning trucks from the metropolitan area for all times except midnight to 4 am. 

When they discover empty shelves and they start to starve but especially thirsty they will notice, especially in a country like Thailand where the train is almost nonexistent, that if they live it is thanks to the road transport of goods and perishable goods.
That they do not imagine for one second that the traders will spend the night to receive goods and also the day to sell them ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, webfact said:

the speed limit on four lane roads from 90 milometers an hour to a blanket 120 kmph limit. 

Why should I react to somebody who this, serious?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Mango Bob said:

They do 120 now.  They don't care about the law.  They will kill you if they have to just to get past you.  raise it to 120 they will be doing 140.  What is next?

Mango Bob is dam right...they drive faster than that.  You can wish/ask/pray for whatever you like, you WILL NOT get it EVER!  Not here.  

Yes raise to 120 on all 4 lane roads no probalem. I have rode my motorbike and driven a car over many of the roads of Thailand in eight years of travel I have only saw 5 or 6 accidents. This included riding to pattaya from pattaya to and thru Bangkok and on up to Chiang Mai. I have driven my car chiang Mai to Bangkok back to CM at least 20 times and as I said only saw 5 or 6 wrecks. I am not discounting the fact that there are wrecks on the roads of Thailand but from my own experience driving here isn't as dangerous as posters on TV love to make it. At 90k a hour that is a long day to BKK

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

you can't drive faster than about 20 kph anyways, where I live.  and as I don't see the point in living anywhere else than in a very rural village, to stay in Thailand at all then what some truckers and tourist vans do on some highway somewhere is no concern at all.  

on the few occasions we ever need to go to the "weeaung" of Chiangmai I take my 4x4, keep the whole trip to a minimum.

I am very much more concerned that we will never take the first baby step on.... aviation.... as for road travel it has many solutions to all of it's problems.  but aviation has none.  zero.  zippo.  no speed limits.... or carbon emission limits.  except for those crazy fake CORSIA offsets in 2027.  

Edited by WeekendRaider

51 minutes ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

Agree for sure. Also make it a crime to drive less than the speed limit on the two right lanes. Slow drivers cause far more accidents than fast drivers, especially idiot slow drivers blocking the right lanes.

How would you make that work?

• Like 1

Amazing Thailand ... one minute they are advocating an increase in the speed limit and the next there is more of this ... 

How about tackling the current problem instead of creating further ones or is this because you want to maintain your position as the No 1 in road deaths?