Johnson's top aide says lawmakers can't stop no-deal Brexit - Sunday Telegraph

rooster59

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

Division was built into the referendum result, obviously escaped your notice that Northern Ireland, Scotland and Gibraltar all voted to remain.

The f.. ( may not write that word in TV) , the English decide, also about their European posessions/colonies...

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Aforek said:

It's very funny to see that British brexiters want to think ( or hope ?) that the other european countries want to leave EU ; of course not, EU is the future, Britain wants to commit suicide, it's one's problem, but don't think everybody want to suicide 

48,11% voted for "Remain", only ONE possiblity = as it is now.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2016/04/de-gaulle-knew-it-britain-does-not-belong-in-the-eu/

https://ukandeu.ac.uk/how-president-de-gaulles-second-veto-of-britains-ec-application-fifty-years-ago-led-directly-to-the-leave-vote-in-2016/

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Division about the EU has been around since we joined in the early 1970s. The UK never really bought into the EU project, especially after it went from the ECC to its current form. If we had we would have joined the Euro but there was so much resistance, you could argue we believed in the EU, we never did.

Luckily the referendum was a was collective binary vote. Some boroughs in Yorkshire and Lancashire voted to remain. It doesn't mean they should stay in the EU. No, as it was a collective result, in case it escaped your notice.

Its all hot air now,all the quoting,just move on swiftly,get it done and dusted..perfect.   Never in a million years will it be/could be changed,a fantastic result

The last dying moments of UK membership to the EU,likened to drowning rats attempting to escape most of the quotes here.....its finished,just get over yourselves

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

paradoxically the people i feel sorry for,while this whole fiasco carrys on are the people who went to thailand to retire and have been caught up in the circumstances of falling exchange rates,and changes to visa requirements,they will have to return to their countries of birth,some having to leave their families behind them,a small point but one that appears to have been overlooked in this post and indeed the whole issue of brexit.  

8 hours ago, ardsong said:

On each Brexit post , I laugh my "a.." off, for the different comments posted. It shows that the British expats are as divided as their country folks inside (great) Britain and their politicians. It would be a pity if this comedy ends by 31st October.

Don't think there are too British expats on this thread.

Edited by emptypockets
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, kingdong said:

paradoxically the people i feel sorry for,while this whole fiasco carrys on are the people who went to thailand to retire and have been caught up in the circumstances of falling exchange rates,and changes to visa requirements,they will have to return to their countries of birth,some having to leave their families behind them,a small point but one that appears to have been overlooked in this post and indeed the whole issue of brexit.  

Doubt if Brexit was main cause,falling exchange rates,but all countries were effected.   its Thailand's decision to keep hot money flowing into Thailand that is main cause,bond sales.  personally I think its all a ponzi scheme at play, past bond sales need servicing,no money to do it,so fresh sales take place.   Thailand's going kaput too

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, zorrow424 said:

Doubt if Brexit was main cause,falling exchange rates,but all countries were effected.   its Thailand's decision to keep hot money flowing into Thailand that is main cause,bond sales.  personally I think its all a ponzi scheme at play, past bond sales need servicing,no money to do it,so fresh sales take place.   Thailand's going kaput too

Tend to agree. I think a lot of people are basing (hoping) the exchange rates are purely Brexit based. I don't think that's true...maybe for the pound but it doesn't explain all the other currencies crashing relative to the Baht.

I truly feel sorry for the British pensioners who think there will be a miraculous and lasting recovery of the pound post Brexit. I think all the uncertainty was factored in a very long time ago. Get used to the current exchange rate for quite a while. I'm expecting AUD to be in the 19 baht range for three or four years barring some spectacular implosion with the Baht. or the second coming of John Howard as PM of Australia. Neither are likely at the moment.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, smedly said:

There is one fact that escapes everyone - we will leave on the 31st Oct, it cannot be stopped, even if the CON government loses a NC vote all they have to do is plan an election after the 31st Oct we will have left by default and law - bye bye

If you are going to quote someone word for word, in this case Dominic Cummings you should really give him the credit rather than try and pass it off as your own.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Handsome Gardener said:

Can you explain that 'fact' please ? What is going to make the Euro 'dive' ? 

ER m  I would say Treasure Island is about to be pulled from under their feet. UK always in negative territory import/export by billions,now  (or nearly, no negatives from EU for UK ....as no trading with EU    Eu especially southern EU going to be hit extremely hard,...as for Eire  basket case  billions  ,even trillions to be poured into that basket case

,...anyway  wot you say as to extent of euro being strong and stable  ?   lol

Edited by zorrow424
  • Like 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Unlike Brexit enthusiasts who insist that Brexit will ultimately boost the UK economy, the EU has never claimed that Brexit will be good for them. So most likely, the Euro will decline in value if Brexit happens. But not nearly so much as the pound.s

Its been sliding alongside the £ for years

• Sad 2