Johnson's top aide says lawmakers can't stop no-deal Brexit - Sunday Telegraph

rooster59

4 hours ago, smedly said:

that is your opinion - I do not agree, we (the UK) have been held back for years through EU membershit, we have been strangled by rules that were not in our interests, yes we have been idling along but never able to unleash our full potential - something I believe was intentional by EU masters

Here you go again you can't help yourself - totally void of specifics.

So have another chance - specifically WHAT has held us back (on our way to near full employment) ? - which rules have strangled us, please be specific, that was detrimental to us ? and where is the evidence EU leaders would want to 'hold back' one of their own members ?

Stop making stuff up because you've read it somewhere - (probably The Sun)

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Like it or not the UK is a presently sovereign nation comprised of the union of four countries, with bonny Scotland being one of them. The EU is a political and economic union, it is not a sovereign nation, so therefore should not be compared to the UK or the US. 

Technicality, the UK is a political and economic union disguised by a monarch.

Bottom line, UK, EU and USA are all man made. 

8 minutes ago, Handsome Gardener said:

Here you go again you can't help yourself - totally void of specifics.

So have another chance - specifically WHAT has held us back (on our way to near full employment) ? - which rules have strangled us, please be specific, that was detrimental to us ? and where is the evidence EU leaders would want to 'hold back' one of their own members ?

Stop making stuff up because you've read it somewhere - (probably The Sun)

what you think I am - your PA

run along and try baiting someone else - take yourself on a fishing trip and don't fall overboard lol 

1 minute ago, smedly said:

run along and try baiting someone else - take yourself on a fishing trip and don't fall overboard lol 

So you have not been held back on any front.

11 minutes ago, nauseus said:

No distraction. The "HS" within HSE stands for Health and Safety. Doh.

Apologies I did not realise that when you write Health & Safety you really mean Health and Safety Executive.

You would rather believe that there were no EU directive on Health and that there were no EU directives on Safety.

As I said a deliberate distraction on context.

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

Only a warped mind would think that Consumer Protection, Health & Safety and many more were not in peoples interests.

absolutely nothing to do with the economy 

LAB party keep going on about stuff like this - it is irrelevant, it is the sort of stuff that goes into party manifesto's during election campaigns and has little to do with brexit 

6 minutes ago, smedly said:

So if you had nothing you could have just said earlier, how am I 'baiting' ? You made (unfounded unsubstantiated) comments on an open forum, I responded - all I was doing was giving you (or any brexiteer) the opportunity to grasp some credibility - epic fail !

14 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Technicality, the UK is a political and economic union disguised by a monarch.

Bottom line, UK, EU and USA are all man made. 

I'm sorry. I didn't know you had been so ill. 

19 minutes ago, smedly said:

Typical Brexiteer reaction when they are challenged on the 'facts' they have posted.

14 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Apologies I did not realise that when you write Health & Safety you really mean Health and Safety Executive.

You would rather believe that there were no EU directive on Health and that there were no EU directives on Safety.

As I said a deliberate distraction on context.

This is gibberish. Ta ta.

2 minutes ago, smedly said:

absolutely nothing to do with the economy 

LAB party keep going on about stuff like this - it is irrelevant, it is the sort of stuff that goes into party manifesto's during election campaigns and has little to do with brexit 

Well, another version of a brick wall.

Nobody will ever know how many lives have been saved or enhanced by EU regulation, but as far as your concerned it is all irrelevant.

5 minutes ago, nauseus said:

How's it going, handsome?

Thank you for your concern and compliment.

Presumably made for the usual Brexiteer reason of having nothing of substance to say to counter a Remainer argument.

It seems your mate evadethequestion's frequent exhortation to address the content of a post rather than the poster doesn't apply to Brexiteers!

9 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Well, another version of a brick wall.

Nobody will ever know how many lives have been saved or enhanced by EU regulation, but as far as your concerned it is all irrelevant.

Indeed, all of the UK's improvements to Health and Safety at work legislation directly came about because of the OSH Framework Directive

The European Framework Directive on Safety and Health at Work (Directive 89/391 EEC) adopted in 1989 was a substantial milestone in improving safety and health at work. It guarantees minimum safety and health requirements throughout Europe while Member States are allowed to maintain or establish more stringent measures.

3 hours ago, evadgib said:

A warning to the Tories in several UK newspapers yesterday:

EBM6y4nW4AAH7le.jpg

Correction; a paid for advertisement from Farage.

Care to say which newspaper(s) carried it?

Or is that, like the programme on which you claimed Rees-Mogg had the BBC for breakfast, a secret?

9 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

Indeed, all of the UK's improvements to Health and Safety at work legislation directly came about because of the OSH Framework Directive

The very comprehensive UK HSWA was passed 15 years prior to any cosmetic afterthoughts from the EEC, which had previously implemented little of substance w.r.t Health and Safety.   

5 minutes ago, nauseus said:

The very comprehensive UK HSWA was passed 15 years prior to any cosmetic afterthoughts from the EEC, which had previously implemented little of substance w.r.t Health and Safety.   

Yes, the provisions of the 1974 Act were comprehensive; but were also substantially amended in 1991 to incorporate the 1989 EU regulations.

Just as they have been amended several times since to incorporate new and improved EU regulations.

Since the accession of the UK to the European Union (EU) in 1972, much health and safety regulation has needed to comply with the law of the European Union and Statutory Instruments under the Act have been enacted in order to implement EU directives. In particular, the Act is the principal means of complying with Directive 89/391/EEC on health and safety at work.[7] Further important changes to section 6, duties in respect of articles and substances used at work, were made by the Consumer Protection Act 1987 in order to implement the Product Liability Directive 85/374/EEC.[8] 

(Source)

29 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

Correction; a paid for advertisement from Farage.

Care to say which newspaper(s) carried it?

Or is that, like the programme on which you claimed Rees-Mogg had the BBC for breakfast, a secret?

Didn't you clock a copy on yesterday's  0705hrs Woking to Waterloo?

22 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

It was not only the working environment.

In 1990 I was working for a company that made gas appliances for caravans when the gas appliances directive was introduced which was intended to try and reduce deaths from carbon monoxide poisoning. Nobody wanted to know, not the government, the industry and in particular my boss who wanted it implemented without spending any money. The directive was quite definitive in the manufacturing process and then required a product retest if anything was altered. The product then carried the CE mark as having passed all tests, but the consumer wasn't particularly interested as the manufacturers had blamed the EU for pushing up the price.

Many however many were very quick to use that same legislation to gain recompense in the event of a problem, something that had not previously been available. The problem is that the majority are just unaware of the hidden benefits that came from the directives.

5 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Didn't you clock a copy on yesterday's  0705hrs Woking to Waterloo?

As not only is there no 07:05 Woking to Waterloo train, but I also would not be on it if there were as, although I do sometimes work in London, carrying all my required tools and equipment would be impossible using public transport!

Reading a newspaper whilst driving is, of course, both illegal and highly dangerous.

BTW, as you are so interested my work yesterday took me first to Southampton, then on to Bournemouth; driving, not by train.

So, evadethequestion, going to answer or keep it a secret as you do most of your 'sources?'

1 hour ago, 7by7 said:

As not only is there no 07:05 Woking to Waterloo train, but I also would not be on it if there were as, although I do sometimes work in London, carrying all my required tools and equipment would be impossible using public transport!

And to think I had you down for a whistletitfer ????

Image result for cleese silly walk

1 hour ago, 7by7 said:

So, evadethequestion, going to answer or keep it a secret as you do most of your 'sources?'

No problem;

1. The JRM interview was reported by me in real time and rhubarbed by you almost immediately; You can therefore reasonably be expected to have found it simply by turning your telly on had you chosen to do so instead of repeating "I'm still waiting for...." hoping that I (& others) will bother trying to unearth unnecessary links hours, days or weeks later.

2. "30 Regional Newspapers" according to St Nigel:

HTH

On 8/5/2019 at 6:27 AM, Handsome Gardener said:

1) What is the UK employment rate now ? So clearly your (and the 'they come over here and steal all our jobs brigade) fears have never stood up to scrutiny. 

2) If you don't show extensive proof you are actually looking for work in the UK now you are denied state benefits (and have been for some years)

Could you reiterate what your point was please ?

uk employment rates now? what people working regular jobs that pay enough for them to live on?or all those working in the gig economies,the "self employed" a status given to workers to enable their employees to get round paying minimum wage,holiday and sickness benefits etc etc,the part timers,who work over 16 hours a week,then claim tax and rent credits,those unemployed forced to go on micky mouse training courses supposedly to help them get a job,all these classes are officially classified as being employed."steal our jobs brigade"haven,t heard that tired old cliche for a while,but while we,re on the subject,how much impact do,es the migrant workforce who work here,live extremely frugally and send all their disposable inccome home have on the british economy?don,t think you,ll see a study made on that subject.

5 hours ago, Handsome Gardener said:

The state of the pound gives you the case for remain (as I said before if the case for Brexit was a good one the pound would be soaring - why isn't it ?) - near full employment and the 5th largest economy in the world gives you the case for remain, a member of the richest trading block in the world is the case for remain, every single industry chief gives you the case for remain - need any more ? First class medical research from shared European countries databases is the case for remain

by free do you mean tariffs ? Or perhaps all the trade deals you haven't got yet but are going to lose ? That sort of free you mean ? Trade deals that take YEARS to put together ? The manufacturers sick to death of goods waiting in containers moving their operations and jobs to countries where they won't have to ? That free ? Would the 1-2 million brits working in Europe be free ? 

Oh by the way you know that the UK will still be bound by the European Court of Human Rights right ? So the foreign criminals that have you frothing over your cereal will still be protected IN the UK by European courts (hands up brexiteers who knew that)

We would continue trading with Germany and France once the goods that flow freely now, are authorised, certificated and past customs post Brexit - costs money and for perishable goods (and medicines) that's a problem. The UK would also be unable to compete well with the much stronger EU for trade deals who will be tripping over themselves to offer preferential deals to countries that they know the UK can't afford! (UK GDP 2.9t - EU GDP 17.2t)

I've read a lot on here and there is not one single pro Brexit contributor who has provided anything of substance whatsoever outside 'it will be ok' amongst a whole library of meaningless soundbites. 

So which restrictive EU rules specifically are troubling you ? 

1-2 million brits working in the eu?how many exactly and wheres your source?theres over 2 million eu citizens working and [some] poncing in the uk,what do,es that tell you about the eu?

5 hours ago, evadgib said:

No problem;

1. The JRM interview was reported by me in real time and rhubarbed by you almost immediately; You can therefore reasonably be expected to have found it simply by turning your telly on had you chosen to do so instead of repeating "I'm still waiting for...." hoping that I (& others) will bother trying to unearth unnecessary links hours, days or weeks later

Then why not say which programme it was at the time?

You still refuse to say it.

Could it be that you know full well that were you to do so your claim could be checked via BBC iPlayer or BBC  Sounds and found to be your usual hyperbole?

5 hours ago, evadgib said:

2. "30 Regional Newspapers" according to St Nigel:

There are about 1500 regional newspapers in the UK (Source). So 30 is hardly the blanket national coverage you tried to convince people it was!  More Hyperbole, not surprised you were reluctant to state where the advert appeared!

12 hours ago, sandyf said:

"we have been strangled by rules that were not in our interests,"

The most ridiculous comment that has appeared on here for a long time. The EU directives pushed the UK government into changes that if left to their own devices would still be under review. Only a warped mind would think that Consumer Protection, Health & Safety and many more were not in peoples interests.

"UK potential" will be highlighted shortly with a round the world flight by a Spitfire. Of course it was an EU decision that the UK no longer develop and manufacture aircraft.

Time to wake up and smell the coffee, successive UK governments removed all potential the UK ever had. It's always too late when trying to catch up.

"EU decision that the UK no longer develop and manufacture aircraft "? ? ? Only a Brexiteer can bend the truth so much.

I advise you to read  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Aerospace  and  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airbus

Archived