Johnson's top aide says lawmakers can't stop no-deal Brexit - Sunday Telegraph

rooster59

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, puipuitom said:

The opening forex for the €uro was US$ 1,179 in 2000. Now it is  US$ 1,11. Not such a dive as the GBP made.

https://www.tradingview.com/symbols/USDEUR/  

https://www.macrotrends.net/2549/pound-dollar-exchange-rate-historical-chart  

image.png.fee7bfaaff10bbeb3a43ecb4e1f8a2c0.png

US$ vs GBP 1999-2019.jpg

Nicely done - except that you have changed the base currency for the second one. When you get it right you will see a similar trend. Naughty. Naughty. 

16 hours ago, darksidedog said:

And so the drama continues. Whether you want in or out of Europe, you have to say the whole affair has been about as badly mismanaged as it could possibly get, and has created a level of disunity in the country that was never there before the whole mess began.

Blame May. A disgrace. The worst PM in British history.

6 hours ago, Handsome Gardener said:

If you are going to quote someone word for word, in this case Dominic Cummings you should really give him the credit rather than try and pass it off as your own.

where in my post did I claim to be quoting anyone and since you removed most of it 

here it is again lol

There is one fact that escapes everyone - we will leave on the 31st Oct, it cannot be stopped, even if the CON government loses a NC vote all they have to do is plan an election after the 31st Oct we will have left by default and law - bye bye

There is no sensible reason why Brussels would blank the 5th Largest economy in the world and risk an interruption to trade especially when Italy and Spain are in recession and both Germany and France are on the brink

They need to hit the reset button and forget about what T May did these last 2 years - it is gone - bin it and sort this out

They don't want the UK to leave because they cannot compete with a free trading UK once the shackles and control from Brussels have been torn away

The EU is heading down the toilet and we need to get away before we are dragged down with it 

Here is my prediction

The UK will leave on the 31st Oct - we may have an extended period to sort the finer details out but we will have left.

If a sensible trade deal cannot be sorted in the months after we have left then - 

Germany and France (possibly Spain and Italy) will also effectively leave the EU (because it is unsustainable without the UK) they will not file ART50 because they make the rules as they go, the EU will effectively be split either 2-25 or 4-23, the 23 will fall apart

Effectively the EU will have imploded and the 4 will attempt to protect themselves from the fallout 

3 hours ago, bristolboy said:

As has been pointed out elsewhere the EU isn't denying that Brexit will be bad for them. It's Brexiters who believe that ultimately the UK will be better off outside the EU than within. This defies common sense. Just as do those football fans you cited above.

we will be better off 

the EU (Germany) have stripped the UK to the bone - they have invaded the UK through stealth these last 20 years, I hear Germans and French nationals talking - I have even engaged a few of them - their attitude made me angry - now not so much, their 3rd attempt to rule Europe is now facing yet another fail, as Farage would say - who's laughing now :cheesy:????:cheesy:

I have no problem trading with all EU countries but we will do it as an independent country - if they don't want to trade without governing and controlling us then that is a path to their own destruction - up to them

I think they are now finally getting the message - we are leaving

4 hours ago, puipuitom said:

Same as Brexit and.. the Dutch referendum about the EU constitution ( UK does not have one) and Association agreement with the Ukraine: many voted with their feelings, few with their brains.

Another European telling the people of the UK how they voted and should have. Shameful.

I did not met - in person or virtual - ONE person, who read more as 1 page of these agreements.

It takes less than a page for anyone to realise the UK are getting shafted.

One big difference: WE have a Parliament, who takes its responsability.

Let me translate that to laymans terms. Parliament just ignore the will of the people and just do what their masters (EU) tell them.

I will admit the UK Parliament has some like that but not on the scale of yours and the Irish. We wouldn't allow just to roll over and take it, like you both have. Wait to the next GE when many of these self servers will be out.

7 hours ago, Handsome Gardener said:

Odd then that every survey I've seen in the last 6 months wants exactly that !

Oh dear so you believe what the establishment media tell you. The same media that kept telling us we would all vote to stay in the EU. Most surveys have a sample area of just over 1200 respondents.

This article sums it up very well just how other countries in Europe will feel a no deal brexit.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/europes-workers-live-in-fear-of-a-chaotic-departure-s222lp7p3

Especially for our Dutch posters who love to tell us just what a mistake we are making.????

Netherlands Job losses or an economic slowdown are a price worth paying for the prize of Brexit, Thierry Baudet, the Dutch populist and Eurosceptic MP, will say if Britain leaves the EU without a deal.

While the Netherlands is viewed as the best prepared of all EU countries for no-deal, the impact, according to the government, will cost its economy €10 billion.

Mr Baudet dismisses forecasts of more than 72,000 job losses as “scaremongering” and said his supporters saw Brexit as a matter of principle.

He said: “It is a choice that Dutch people who support my party envy the Brits for having taken.”

Rotterdam, the main point of entry for non-EU trade, has hired almost 1,000 extra customs staff.

12 hours ago, zorrow424 said:

Doubt if Brexit was main cause,falling exchange rates,but all countries were effected.   its Thailand's decision to keep hot money flowing into Thailand that is main cause,bond sales.  personally I think its all a ponzi scheme at play, past bond sales need servicing,no money to do it,so fresh sales take place.   Thailand's going kaput too

what,thailands going kaput with the amount of for ex that floods in via western union etc that the "sponsors" send their floozes?with most of them having multiple sponsors must be a goodly amount.

4 hours ago, smedly said:

we will be better off 

the EU (Germany) have stripped the UK to the bone - they have invaded the UK through stealth these last 20 years, I hear Germans and French nationals talking - I have even engaged a few of them - their attitude made me angry - now not so much, their 3rd attempt to rule Europe is now facing yet another fail, as Farage would say - who's laughing now :cheesy:????:cheesy:

I have no problem trading with all EU countries but we will do it as an independent country - if they don't want to trade without governing and controlling us then that is a path to their own destruction - up to them

remember the fiasco of the erm and how france and germany sneered at us when we were forced to leave,same thing happened when cameron went to the eu 3and a half years ago to beg them could we change our laws so eu dossers [not sure of correct terminology,but someone coming to uk with the intention of poncing off the welfare state as opposed to seeking employment] could be denied state benefit,they laughed in his face and gave him nothing.

I don't understand why everyone takes what they say as gospel, they have no option but to push the leave rhetoric if the EU (Ireland) is to change its mind on the "backstop".

Will not change its mind? Johnson has something up his leave I don't doubt. My guess they just need to have the proposal to make NI a Freeport pushed on the EU at the last moment. Ireland will be against the Freeport as it will give NI a trade advantage when it comes to shipping routes but it will allow GBNI to categorically state that THEY will not impose a border control point on that border, leaving it with the EU the only ones wanting to establish a border.

4 hours ago, smedly said:

we will be better off 

Economically better off?

16 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Division about the EU has been around since we joined in the early 1970s. The UK never really bought into the EU project, especially after it went from the ECC to its current form. If we had we would have joined the Euro but there was so much resistance, you could argue we believed in the EU, we never did.

Luckily the referendum was a was collective binary vote. Some boroughs in Yorkshire and Lancashire voted to remain. It doesn't mean they should stay in the EU. No, as it was a collective result, in case it escaped your notice.

"The UK never really bought into the EU project,"  an assumption based on a narrow minded point of view.

What the brexiteers fail get their heads around is the concept of identity, this is blatantly obvious in the debate over the Irish border.

I am a Scottish EU citizen, "British" is a political identity imposed by the UK government. There can never be a valid "collective result" when 85% of the "collective" is of the same identity,

The history books will show that brexit was fundamentally flawed from day one.

Dominic Grieve, the former attorney general, joined Labour in denying claims it’s too late to block the prime minister’s plan.

And he said that, if it came to it, he would be part of the push to bring down Mr Johnson’s administration to prevent a no-deal departure.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-latest-no-deal-boris-johnson-dominic-grieve-collapse-government-election-a9039121.html

7 hours ago, smedly said:

There is one fact that escapes everyone - we will leave on the 31st Oct, it cannot be stopped, even if the CON government loses a NC vote all they have to do is plan an election after the 31st Oct we will have left by default and law - bye bye

14 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

Sorry, but not true. Constitutionally, parliament have 14 days after the no-confidence vote to select a new PM - who presumably would be against a no-deal exit. And this PM would seek an extension.

Try another angle...

It was mentioned in a (either Guardian or BBC) article that this would require the existing PM to step down after losing a no-confidence vote which legally he wouldn’t be obliged to. 

BBC it is: “However, Catherine Haddon, from the Institute for Government think tank, said that while [forming a government of national unity] was possible, it would rely on Mr Johnson resigning as PM after losing a no-confidence vote - something he is not legally bound to do.”

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-49225906

1 minute ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

It was mentioned in a (either Guardian or BBC) article that this would require the existing PM to step down after losing a no-confidence vote which legally he wouldn’t be obliged to. 

Yes, quite right. But at least he'll be gone one way or another.

where in my post did I claim to be quoting anyone and since you removed most of it 

errrr that's the problem you didn't - you quoted Dominic Cummings word for word and DIDN'T mention that - preferring to leave people with the impression that you came up with that yourself - understand ?

we will be better off 

"We will be better off" - brilliant! Inspired well thought out and intellectually evidenced recovery plan - "We will be better off" !! We may willingly walk away from (and antagonise) the largest trading bloc in the world but "We will be better off" ! It defies belief.

All hyperbole and generalistic nonsense - its impossible to get an economical strategy out of a brexiteer - the whole camp is based on hope and "it'll be all right" - when 99.99% of economists/financiers/industry captains are telling them the opposite.

How many German/French people talking did you hear talking that made you angry ? 2 ? 5 ? 16 perhaps ? out of a population of 151,000,000 ? Sounding a little bit made up I'm thinking.

However everyone deserves a chance - give me an economical indisputable statistic to back up your bizarre assertion that 'Germany is stripping the UK to the bone" (a UK that currently has a record amount of people in work with the obvious knock on benefits of that) - I'm all ears …... 

Other brexiteers feel free to help him out (with facts not endless soundbites) ...

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

"The UK never really bought into the EU project,"  an assumption based on a narrow minded point of view.

What the brexiteers fail get their heads around is the concept of identity, this is blatantly obvious in the debate over the Irish border.

I am a Scottish EU citizen, "British" is a political identity imposed by the UK government. There can never be a valid "collective result" when 85% of the "collective" is of the same identity,

The history books will show that brexit was fundamentally flawed from day one.

Come on Sandy even many remainers would admit that the UK hasn't never felt part of the EU. The fact of remaining with the GBP, the constant questioning on the EU's stance on further integration and federalisation. Immigration and the reluctance to join all EU laws.  That is not a narrow view but a real one. The referendum result in 2016 blows your theory away as the majority voted to leave.

Te History books in my opinion as that's all it can be like yours an opinion will show the the UK stood up and demanded independence from a bullying organisation and have done well for themselves.

How ironic you call yourself a Scottish EU citizen and then call British a political identity. Hypocrisy, as I can see the movie Braveheart been shown as an identity..

46 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

Yes, quite right. But at least he'll be gone one way or another.

if that happens it will trigger a GE where the PM will set the date

Stephen no idea were you from - if UK I honestly can't figure out why anyone wants to remain in the EU, I have no issues trading and keeping close relations but that is it, I want no part of a federal EU run primarily by Germany - they can shove it

4 minutes ago, Handsome Gardener said:

All hyperbole and generalistic nonsense - its impossible to get an economical strategy out of a brexiteer - the whole camp is based on hope and "it'll be all right"

the difference being - we will own it and not some unelected power grabbing ass wipe in Brussels, the whole thing is a farce and we need to get out of it ASAP

7 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Oh dear so you believe what the establishment media tell you. The same media that kept telling us we would all vote to stay in the EU. Most surveys have a sample area of just over 1200 respondents.

all of them right ? Every survey being produced now (and you know you tried to find another leave survey bias) is incorrect, bias, not to be taken serious, blah blah blah correct ? The 1200 people would not have been selected at random but I see someone else has tried to get that through to you so I'll leave that.

Everything that doesn't tie in with your views is either bias, wrong, or a giant conspiracy.

If those surveys indicated another leave vote you would be all over it like a rash correct ?

However I do my own research - apart from the brexiteers who think Asians will have to leave after October 31st (can't help those ones) - many I speak to have now said they regret the whole thing and would vote differently. That's why brexiteers want this over the line so badly, the tide has turned significantly and the mind boggling stupidity is a very real threat. 

Archived