Retirement Extension Refused, CM today.

maybefitz

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, nauseus said:

Good luck with Plan C m8.

Achieved it, but ye Gods, what a bureaucratic nonsense. Took 40 minutes, all Thai with the officer chatting to my wife and photocopying everything in sight.

Thanks for your good luck note.  

4 hours ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

Japan, surprisingly, is quite a corrupt country. Most of the corruption is at the large business and governmental level. It doesn't reach the lower strata as it does in Thailand.

I agree.  However, not so with immigration rules and regulation application.  If it says you get a certain number of days everyone gets the same.  Thai immigration is well known for being "consistently inconsistent".

13 hours ago, Kalasin Jo said:

Marriage extension? Can only be done by IO of the district you live in. There's one much closer for me but not for my district where they said " cannot", "can" only for retirement extension.

Not when using an 'agent' tho !! 

On 8/6/2019 at 3:45 PM, Thaidream said:

I would hope that each and every American; UK and Australian citizen who has a verified problem with Immigration due to no Embassy Letter is sending an email to their Embassy  indicating that as a result of not being able to get the Embassy letter you had a difficulty getting your extension/.  These Embassies need to know the chaos they have caused by their  uncaring attitude.

They also need to be reminded that they and only they are not issuing the letter while 80 other Embassies in Thailand are issuing the letter.

Maybe this is a crazy idea, but I see the day coming when some of the western governments saddled with sovereign debt they can't hope to repay would rather keep their sheep inside their own borders so they are more easily sheared or butchered.

That sobering thought aside, it is not worth the embassy's time to help expats when they can spend their time helping the country's Uber-rich gain access to foreign markets instead.

The world is turning upside down. Things unthinkable before are commonplace now like negative interest rates and 100 year sovereign bonds offered, and actually sold, by governments that have been insolvent for decades.

11 hours ago, RocketDog said:

Maybe this is a crazy idea, but I see the day coming when some of the western governments saddled with sovereign debt they can't hope to repay would rather keep their sheep inside their own borders so they are more easily sheared or butchered.

That sobering thought aside, it is not worth the embassy's time to help expats when they can spend their time helping the country's Uber-rich gain access to foreign markets instead.

The world is turning upside down. Things unthinkable before are commonplace now like negative interest rates and 100 year sovereign bonds offered, and actually sold, by governments that have been insolvent for decades.

There are already a number of things that prevent people from traveling outside the US such as no fly lists, or people who might be tempted to skip out on financial obligations. I think they are moving towards micro chipping foreigners who want to stay in Thailand & other countries.  Getting their own people chipped will probably be easier.

1 hour ago, XBroker said:

There are already a number of things that prevent people from traveling outside the US such as no fly lists, or people who might be tempted to skip out on financial obligations. I think they are moving towards micro chipping foreigners who want to stay in Thailand & other countries.  Getting their own people chipped will probably be easier.

Slowly (or not) but surely the USA is making moves to restrict travel internally (illegal checkpoints farther than 200 miles of a border) and externally.

Currently money travel outside the country is closely monitored and will soon be restricted as well. Buy American!

As far as I am currently aware (meaning zilch) the debt restrictions are currently limited to taxes owed the government. No doubt DHS will soon plug that minor loophole.

I'll make sure to keep my water bill at home up to date hereafter .

On 8/6/2019 at 2:15 PM, gamini said:

all these years I was reading on this forum that getting a marriage visa was a hassle and I've stuck with a retirement visa, Because of the new financial requirements I found that I was obliged to apply for marriage visa. Getting it was a breeze. It took just over half an hour and the immigration officials were friendly and helpful. I only had to keep 400 K in the bank for two months and I didn't need to go back and pick up the extension a month later. A friend of mine was able to do this for me. So there is really a lot of misinformation on this forum and most of the problems with immigration are because of not having the right documentation or sufficient funds. 

I concur totally, and recently completed  marriage renewal in KhonKaen, however was told the 400,000 had to stay put for the consideration period as well

On 8/5/2019 at 2:29 PM, thequietman said:

All of them on the take, from top to bottom. It never ends! Absolutely no sense or moral scruples or any effort to do a fair days work for a fair days pay.

Terrible people. ????

But please don't blame the people for having no scruples. From the very top of the Elite they are corrupt and have been raping the country of it s wealth for a long long time. Those top people also have grossly immoral behaviour by any standards  so that means the example of an absolutely corrupt and immoral society is set by those at the very top and of course   supported by those who lick up to them.  As a consequence everyone in the country who has an opportunity to feather their own nest at the expense of others does so, simply because the example is set at the very top so hence it must be the right way.

On 8/5/2019 at 9:49 PM, Moonlover said:

So you can wind your Thai bashing hyperbole back in

There’s no point. What he said was valid. Everyone is on the take here. It’s so bad that when you do find an honest one (or someone who really knows their job), it surprises you and tell people about it.

9 hours ago, dcnx said:
On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 9:49 PM, Moonlover said:

So you can wind your Thai bashing hyperbole back in

9 hours ago, dcnx said:

There’s no point. What he said was valid. Everyone is on the take here. It’s so bad that when you do find an honest one (or someone who really knows their job), it surprises you and tell people about it.

I completely disagree with you. I'll not deny that corruption does exist, but to say 'everyone is on the take here' is being disingenuous at best. We have never had to bribe anyone to carry out their duty as requested and that includes the much maligned IOs.

In the case of the KOR 2 which started this discussion, we could easily have got what we wanted simply by paying the standard 20 THB, But my wife is very good natured and generous (which is why I married her) and always likes to reward good service with 'a little for eat' as she calls it.

I know it's not how we do it in the west, in fact it would be illegal in most of our countries. But that's the way it works here.

I'm as hostile to bribery and corruption as most are here, But as with many things here, it's not always what it seems although I understand how some people misconstrue what, affectively, a tip!

And let's face it. There are some members of this forum who simply have a great big 'chip on their shoulder' about everything Thai.

31 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

although I understand how some people misconstrue what, affectively, a tip

And in what country do you normally give a tip to public servants?  Even in the PI. which has been much worse than Thailand, they call it what it is - fast lane payment to provide service in a more timely fashion and actually provide receipts.  Without a receipt it is a backhander, justified as it may be in some cases where they go out of their way to help, such as skipping lunch and such.  But using position or fear to elicit tips is not acceptable to most people, in any country.

On 8/6/2019 at 9:04 AM, totally thaied up said:

Biggest thing in Chaing Mai is to turn up with your wife at 7a.m at the door because they will not give you a number if you are by yourself.

Sounds like this could be a new business opportunity for ladies waiting outside immi "rent-a-wife for 5 minutes".

got mine extended the same day at CM using the monthly deposits. nothing new in your post. they want to see an FTT in your bank book. Ok to deposit in your foreign bank, but then why not do an FTT of some of those funds into your thai bank instead of doing atm withdrawals?

On 8/13/2019 at 12:30 PM, Rama said:

got mine extended the same day at CM using the monthly deposits. nothing new in your post. they want to see an FTT in your bank book. Ok to deposit in your foreign bank, but then why not do an FTT of some of those funds into your thai bank instead of doing atm withdrawals?

do they care who the deposits come from?

On 8/6/2019 at 11:44 AM, tlandtday said:

many are simply corrupt not necessarily terrible... i have friends tried an agent for the first time this year and said it was like slicing butter with a hot knife so easy (and sleazy)

And for the Thai immi "workers", they get their bread buttered on both sides

On 8/16/2019 at 10:35 AM, terminatorchiangmai said:

Question: if living here for 25 years and salary  is made in Thailand can you still get a retirement visa if you have 800.000 parked on a bank account?

Thanks for reply in advance.

Yes, you can. They only see how much you have in a bank account and not where it came from if using 800k method.

However, if you use the 12 monthly deposit of 65k, it must come from abroad.

BTW: If you looked like Arnold Swazzer, you should have no problem in getting a visa.

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 5:30 AM, Rama said:

How many monthly deposits did you have? Unfortunately I have two that came as BNT and two that have come as FTT now that I change my sending bank from Nationwide to Halifax. Do you think this will be OK? I did not find out about the change until April. 

Thanks

I got a few years to go and still have kids and grand kids back home. I can bring 800,000 baht in when the time comes but every year? I built my own house. I move to the village in 3 years and the chances of me spending anything like 800,00 Baht a year are about zero. Did all my running around already :0)

I have an annuity and a pension coming up which will be enough to live on.

My question is lets say I brought over 1 million Baht and put it into a separate bank account and never touched it. I know it can be less with my income but bare with me and it doesn't need to be in a separate account but it takes away any temptation to spend it

I then gave my girlfriend/wife access to the account + on my death so she's looked after.

Can I use that same money year after year to renew my retirement visa.

On 8/5/2019 at 8:34 PM, Lopburi99 said:

I had a similar exasperating experience in Aranyaprathet. Could have strangled the guy! I ended up going to a service in Pattaya. Expensive but damn well worth it. Will never set foot in Aran office again. Bloody never!

Sent from my moto e5 plus using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

It is why 2 1/2 months ago after getting advice here in this forum I learned about Savannakhet, Laos where they will do Marriage Visas ( 90 Day Non-O Marriage Visa with Multiple Entry ) with no proof of income, they didn't even asked. Paid 5,000 Baht for visa  + 1,500 Baht for Laos visa, 500 Bath for Laos hotel plus transportation to Mukdahan and back to Phrae. I made the bus transfer from Den Chai to Phitsanulok to Mukdahan and back.

You can use this visa to do 3 border crossings without needing a new visa, that is equal to 270 days.

Need the following:

- copy of Passport and original passport ( must not expire within 6 months )

- copy of current visa

- 2 visa photos

- copy and original marriage certificate 

- Visa application can be gotten across the street from the Thai Consulate in Savannakhet, Laos. Can be downloaded online from Laos Thai Consulate website

- Recommend you arrive between 6 am to 9 am because you will find more people going there for their visas after all the fiascos with IO. They close the doors at 11:30 AM so get there early. You will pick up your passport and visa the next day after 2 PM.

Make sure you have an extra copy of your passport to give to the hotel if your going straight to Thai Consulate upon entering Laos. Last time I forgot I had give the IO my passport and when I got to the hotel they asked me for the passport and did not have since I left it at the TCO. Luckily the guy at the desk was kind enough to let it slide, I just gave him my drivers license and he was cool about it.

As a backup I took all of my bank statements, income statements from my pension and retirement but did not need them.

For me it was well worth the trip and less of a headache dealing with immigration in Nan after being refused for the income verification that can no longer be done in CM consulate. I was not aware of this new rule of 65K Baht to Thai Bank for 12 consecutive months either which caught me by surprise and a lot of wasted time and money. 

1 hour ago, Rican0722 said:

You can use this visa to do 3 border crossings without needing a new visa, that is equal to 270 days.

You can use that multi entry non immigrant visa for any number of entries during the one year it is valid and obtain a new 90 day stay by using day it expires and another 60 days would be available from immigration for staying with spouse extension (without funds).  So almost a year and half if you take advantage of it.

6 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

20 THB or 400 THB, who gives a <deleted>? If one could get a copy of a certified doc in their home country for less than $1 USD then please inform me what country you are from. 400 THB sounds reasonable and not so much. If one cannot afford a 400 THB document needed once a year or less frequent then perhaps they need to go live with their parents again.

Obviously you don't give a "deleted". This is about Thailand pricing for government documents not somewhere else.

If you're keen to pay twenty times the going rate for something, I'd suggest you should tell everyone that, so you can be overcharged voluntarily for everything you buy.

On ‎8‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 2:29 AM, thequietman said:

All of them on the take, from top to bottom. It never ends! Absolutely no sense or moral scruples or any effort to do a fair days work for a fair days pay.

Terrible people. ????

I take it you choose not to live in LOS then. Who would want to live somewhere they despise the locals?

Archived