Denied Entry at Suvarnabhumi on METV

Thanks for the post.

Happened to me too, denied with an METV. I am now in Thailand having been in and out twice since on the same visa using land borders. 

Are you absolutely sure they voided his visa? They usually don't do that.

does he have a gf here? GF is the magical word, where you got at last a slight chance, as the may call her. But he also had no cash and there`s nothing more to discuss for the IO. They don`t care if you have 100Mio Baht or whatever on your card. Hard cash or nothing. So it was easy for them, as they had an official reason (not the stay too long BS but the no 20k in cash )

ok..just saw your answer.. Lithuania...for Thai IO that passport isn`t worth at all. Sad, but I think with G7 PP he would have had better chances. 

Edited by SpanishExpat
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, ukrules said:

They also audit your bank account prior to issuing this visa so we know this denial of entry is nothing to do with having funds available.

What is on the bank when applying visa can be wit draw the next day/week , is a requirement not a guarantee , but the 20 000 is a real time requirement .Before I got my ret. ext. status I always had with me on my multiple entry visas border runs the needed Baht in pocket , but never being asked ..,but 1 man once on our bus was denied for not having it.

Edited by david555
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, ukrules said:

They also audit your bank account prior to issuing this visa so we know this denial of entry is nothing to do with having funds available.

But it is to do with having cash.  That is the point.

There is a difference between having the necessary funds in the bank to justify a visa being issued and showing an IO cash if it is requested.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, thaitero said:

One thing to remember. Do not have open facebook account saying that you live in Thailand if you are on exempt/touristvisastatus.

Good point thanks for reminding me, I'll shift mine to Singapore, haven't had anything to do with Thailand for some time. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, xvend said:

Just to clarify something here, this exact same story is in a facebook group where the person affected has a facebook profile saying that they "live in Bangkok" SO.................

That's pretty freaking dumb.

• Haha 1

The airline is responsible for taking him back out of Thailand. If he offers to buy a ticket with them to somewhere else, they will probably accept it.

Would be good to know if it is officially possible to buy a ticket out with another airline.

• Like 1

Regarding the Facebook info, why would anyone use their passport name to create a FB account? 

Why relinquish your privacy? 

There is no way FB can verify whether a proposed account name is the passport name or not.

Edited by TaoNow
clarity
  • Like 2

Thanks for your update.

Although for now it only concerns visa-exempt, METV, tourist visas etc., as a precaution I do not dare (with ed visa)  to fly into Thailand from far away, esp. not into BKK.

It really seems best, when you only visit as a tourist for a short time, to use visa-exempt. What is the point of getting a tourist visa, with all the money and time involved? It seems not worth it.

The word "live" in Thailand is really evil. Whenever Immigration or any officials ask me where I live, I name my home country. Here I am a temporary guest, again and again, but I never "live" here.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, xvend said:

Just to clarify something here, this exact same story is in a facebook group where the person affected has a facebook profile saying that they "live in Bangkok" SO.................

What is strange about that, the post here is also made by a friend, who most likely lives in Thailand and so reporting it here to other expats / long stayers.

Anyway, I think his origin passport not really helped him. Wonder how he dressed up like too / shaved or not / hair style etc.
They are careful with those countries, often people with little to no money gives a potential red flag upfront.

Regardless I think it is disgusting if the story is true, he been away for months and this is only the second METV, they lost their brains at immigration.
I really hate-love that we have a good running start-up here, otherwise it been easier to divert to Vietnam, not trusting the direction this stuff is going at all.

Makes me feel unwelcome entirely, even I am welcome under my own visa etc. arrangements (for now).

Edited by tabarin

1 hour ago, ukrules said:

Don't go to Thailand more than once a year as a tourist - the message is very clear.

Airlines will need to start screening passports prior to boarding or just stop flying to Thailand

I know an airline is fined when a person doesn't meet entry requirements, I wonder if this kind of denial also results in a fine for the airline....

A lot of airlines have stopped flying here in recent years or reduced their flights. Some examples off the top of my head:

THAI Airways:

Suspended flights to/from Los Angeles and Johannesburg around 2015. Suspended all international flights to Australia from Phuket (including Perth, Sydney and Melbourne). Also suspended all international flights out of Chiang Mai (only recent one was Chiang Mai-Kunming).

Briefly stopped flying to Madrid and Moscow, then reinstated these flights. Reduced flight frequency to Zurich, Frankfurt, Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne.

Emirates:

Suspended flights on the route Sydney-Bangkok on 31 May 2019

British Airways:

Suspended flights on the route Sydney-Bangkok a few years ago

United Airlines:

Suspended all flights to Thailand back around 2015; no sign of them ever returning

And many more...

Edited by drbeach
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, BritTim said:

I generally believe posts like yours until there is good reason to suspect something. However, immigration does not have the power to void visas. Perhaps, there is a problem in communication, but (if this report is not a complete fabrication) immigration is ignoring the visa, not cancelling it.

Of course they can void/cancel visas.

• Like 1