Denied Entry at Suvarnabhumi on METV

3 hours ago, ukrules said:

Don't go to Thailand more than once a year as a tourist - the message is very clear.

Airlines will need to start screening passports prior to boarding or just stop flying to Thailand

I know an airline is fined when a person doesn't meet entry requirements, I wonder if this kind of denial also results in a fine for the airline....

Maybe not a fine, but the airline should foot the bill. More often than not the tourist pays.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ukrules said:

I wonder if this kind of denial also results in a fine for the airline....

If it does result in what I believe is a $2000 or more fine for the airline per passenger rejected then I wonder if this is the motivation they need to meet some kind of quota.

An interesting read, about the US but I'm sure the rules are similar around the world : https://airlines.iata.org/analysis/document-verification-travel-trouble

IATA’s Murray-Hayden confirms that not having a visa or invalid visas, passports not being valid for long enough, and not having a return or onward ticket are the three most common reasons for being refused entry to a country, and account for 95% of all airline fines.

23 minutes ago, ukrules said:

EU Passport - they're all the same.

Pls don’t be naive. Thai ppl (incl the IO) categorize EU countries in a few categories. They see UK/German/Swiss/French passports as the strongest. 

Lithuania is on the same level like Bulgaria or Romania for them. 

Its far from fair, but it‘s the reality. 

• Like 1

After some unpleasant talks they asked for proof of funds. He does have enough in his card, tho no one even bothered to give him a chance to prove his funds.

Old hat. First of all, money is never in an ATM card, secondly it's well known that people should have at least 20K cash.

I don't know about a Lithuanian citizen, but to meet the metv requirements, Canadians must show proof of bank income, amongst other things, if they meet these requirements and the visa is granted, how can he be refused???? I guess he didn't have the $20 k cash??? How does someone enter a country with no money??? Only plastic?

image.png

• Like 1

Pls don’t be naive. Thai ppl (incl the IO) categorize EU countries in a few categories. They see UK/German/Swiss/French passports as the strongest. 

Lithuania is on the same level like Bulgaria or Romania for them. 

Its far from fair, but it‘s the reality. 

Belgium passports are probably the strongest due to their political (royal) friendship ties... And yes I know Belgians with a passport full of whatever you can imagine Thai stamps and I don't know one case of a Belgian getting denied. ;-)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This is just the excuse they use to throw people out of the country while reaping large fines from airlines.

That he didn't have 20,000 on him is incidental

I hope he appealed and was allowed entry - I'm reading far too many cases recently where people seem to be randomly rejected at the airports.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SpanishExpat said:

does he have a gf here? GF is the magical word, where you got at last a slight chance, as the may call her. But he also had no cash and there`s nothing more to discuss for the IO. They don`t care if you have 100Mio Baht or whatever on your card. Hard cash or nothing. So it was easy for them, as they had an official reason (not the stay too long BS but the no 20k in cash )

ok..just saw your answer.. Lithuania...for Thai IO that passport isn`t worth at all. Sad, but I think with G7 PP he would have had better chances. 

No, with sufficient funds he may have had a better chance.

59 minutes ago, ukrules said:
3 hours ago, SpanishExpat said:

Lithuania...for Thai IO that passport isn`t worth at all.

EU Passport - they're all the same.

No they aren’t. The fact that it has EU stamped on it is irrelevant. They only care about the country issuing it.

4 hours ago, ukrules said:

Don't go to Thailand more than once a year as a tourist - the message is very clear.

Airlines will need to start screening passports prior to boarding or just stop flying to Thailand

I know an airline is fined when a person doesn't meet entry requirements, I wonder if this kind of denial also results in a fine for the airline....

Of course....£2000 in each and every case

4 hours ago, BrakkaToss said:

He is Lithuanian.

And via Ukraine, he probably speaks Russian?  I think he would have a better chance if he travelled with a Western airline.  

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Briggsy said:

You may be behind the times. Years ago, that would have been the case. Now, stay over 50% of your time in Thailand on tourist visas and you are liable to be denied, no matter how saintly you are. I am pretty saintly and I was denied. It is just a secret rule based on how long you stay here.

And government wonder why tourism and then hospitality biz collapsing, TAT setting denying and positive reports of figures, we dont know were from, to the media, I am in hospitality and many of my friends suffering the same collapse like from less 30 to less 50% occupation in July against last year... Who can survive to such sudden tsunami. Good luck to all of us in AUGUST or heavy damages will come up from September. 

1 hour ago, ukrules said:

This is just the excuse they use to throw people out of the country while reaping large fines from airlines.

That he didn't have 20,000 on him is incidental

I hope he appealed and was allowed entry - I'm reading far too many cases recently where people seem to be randomly rejected at the airports.

He probably maxed out his time in the country on the first METV and having spent 4 months out of the country is probably trying to repeat the same. 

He could potentially stay 18 months out of 22 in the country as a ‘tourist’. That’s not what a tourist visa is meant for. 

Denying entry to long stay tourists using METV’s was always going to happen. The only thing wrong in these cases is the embassies/consulates issuing visas they clearly shouldn’t.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

15 minutes ago, Ron jeremy said:

He applies for a metv, the Thai government approves it, and then denies him entry???????

the airline asked for his visa and return ticket at the airport, he has everything in order, away he goes. 

Why shpuld the airline be on the hook or get fined for putting him on the plane?

I read this op when first posted. Decided not to post because didn't trust it. The visa would not be stamped Void. He would have "denied entry stamp". His visa would still be valid. 

As for Thai consulate issuing a tourist visa... they are separate body to immigration control. 

Yes there are reports of denied entry with valid visa. Both setv and METV. Most often with continuous stay in los. This OP does not fit that. 

As for money in pocket and dress etc and crap about having Thai gf.....

Its all about amount of time spent in los and far more important time spent OUTSIDE los. 

I doubt this op because does not fit continuous stay.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gaviny said:

I'm presuming Australian passports is the same , as I have 2 friends that has been here 4 times in the last 18 months and have never been queried on their funds or the reason why they keep coming back and they usually spend about a month each visit.

Sent from my Redmi Note 6 Pro using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Because they are only spending a month each visit. The visa is meant for exactly that multiple short visits.

It’s only people trying to ‘live’ too long in the country that have a problem.

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

I doubt it. They have caught onto the fact that long stay tourists know they should carry 10/20K etc, and deny them anyway under S12.2.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Hardly. How many reports of denied entry without even a chance to show zillion USD in pocket. Money, hotel bookings, Thai gf achieves zip. 

In the main decision already made and that relates to perceived ongoing stay in los using ve and tourist visas.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

I read this op when first posted. Decided not to post because didn't trust it. The visa would not be stamped Void. He would have "denied entry stamp". His visa would still be valid. 

As for Thai consulate issuing a tourist visa... they are separate body to immigration control. 

Yes there are reports of denied entry with valid visa. Both setv and METV. Most often with continuous stay in los. This OP does not fit that. 

As for money in pocket and dress etc and crap about having Thai gf.....

Its all about amount of time spent in los and far more important time spent OUTSIDE los. 

I doubt this op because does not fit continuous stay.

I disagree. It’s the time spent in the country that counts more. This guy may have already spent 9 out of 13 months in the country and could have made it 18 out of 22. He’s trying to live in the country as long as possible and doesn’t have a long stay visa.

• Like 2