White cops on horseback led a black man by rope in Texas. Their police chief apologized

webfact

10 minutes ago, daoyai said:

The are police not psychiatrists ... amazing reply

Thank you, but I thought it was quite mundane not amazing.  I was quoting your claim that he was bipolar and that he was homeless and had a record of warnings.  Quite easy to suspect he is sixpence short of a shilling (nine bits short of a dollar) from that and act accordingly.

27 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I think trespassing. 

The controversy here isn't whether that was a reasonable call or not to arrest him by the cops.

So I'm assuming it was probably reasonable.

Getting arrested isn't the same thing as being formally charged and convicted.

The controversy is that the picture looks really bad and yes a throwback to lynching days.

The police department there gets it now that it wasn't good to telegraph that image.

So I'm not sure what people are arguing about now.

Are they saying don't have any sensitivity for how things look especially in the very racially charged political environment of today?

Well, if so, I don't agree. 

I think what people are objecting to is that this is not even a news worthy story.  Unless the media is trying to promote a narrative that U.S. cops are inherently racist and will act on it at any available opportunity. 

The real story is guy gets arrested for trespass. ... barley even deserves a mention in a local paper.  BUT he is black OMG.  ...and Texas.. and horses !!!   The same narrative fuels the myth of rampant police brutality ...and the myth that innocent blacks are routinely gunned down in the streets by cops... it just aint happening.   The numbers are extremely low for a population of 350 million.  ....now on the other side the statistic that 6% of the population is responsible for 52% of homicides.  ... That is of concern.  ... the police are well aware of these numbers and it will influence their attitudes sadly.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

42 minutes ago, daoyai said:

I think what people are objecting to is that this is not even a news worthy story.  Unless the media is trying to promote a narrative that U.S. cops are inherently racist and will act on it at any available opportunity. 

The real story is guy gets arrested for trespass. ... barley even deserves a mention in a local paper.  BUT he is black OMG.  ...and Texas.. and horses !!!   The same narrative fuels the myth of rampant police brutality ...and the myth that innocent blacks are routinely gunned down in the streets by cops... it just aint happening.   The numbers are extremely low for a population of 350 million.  ....now on the other side the statistic that 6% of the population is responsible for 52% of homicides.  ... That is of concern.  ... the police are well aware of these numbers and it will influence their attitudes sadly.

I think it's a legitimate news story. Sounds like you are favoring censorship. 

BTW, black people represent about 12.5 percent of the U.S. population so as you got that so wrong, I'm not sure I trust any other stat you are citing. 

Let's get real, OK?

Institutionalized structural racism in the USA is still a thing. 

Black people are much more likely to be incarcerated than white people for the SAME CRIMES. 
It doesn't help to playact that it doesn't exist. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Lucius verus said:

Would they do the same to a white man given the same circumstances?

If yes, then the above photo is not racist but the bleeding hearts will go beserk anyway except FoxTrump TV.

horse crime.jpg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, moskito said:

ok Jingthing, sorry.
I must have missed then the story where this Ethyopian guy kicked a mother and her 8 y.o. boy into an incoming train on Frankfurt Main Railway station, Mother alive, boy aged 8 died,
There are too many news nowadays making bad feelings ????

That story was covered in this forum and he was Eritrean. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I think it's a legitimate news story. Sounds like you are favoring censorship. 

BTW, black people represent about 12.5 percent of the U.S. population so as you got that so wrong, I'm not sure I trust any other stat you are citing. 

Let's get real, OK?

Institutionalized structural racism in the USA is still a thing. 

Black people are much more likely to be incarcerated than white people for the SAME CRIMES. 
It doesn't help to playact that it doesn't exist. 

The 6% is the number of males, women murder infrequently. My numbers come from FBI stats.  Please give an example of "institutionalized structural racism" in contemporary times...   as sentencing is influenced by prior convictions it is common for prior offenders to get longer sentences for the SAME CRIME.   

• Sad 1

These are very very dark times in the US !  Sad ????

But, I am hopeful that this atmosphere of bigotry/fascism over there will be defeated, and disappear in the not-too-distant future. To a large extent anyway. 

Edited by JemJem
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, JemJem said:

These are very very dark times in the US !  Sad ????

But, I am hopeful that this atmosphere of bigotry/fascism over there will be defeated, and disappear in the not-too-distant future. To a large extent anyway. 

One can live in hope, but the rise of bigotry/nationalism seems to be occurring world wide.

4 minutes ago, daoyai said:

The 6% is the number of males, women murder infrequently. My numbers come from FBI stats.  Please give an example of "institutionalized structural racism" in contemporary times...   as sentencing is influenced by prior convictions it is common for prior offenders to get longer sentences for the SAME CRIME.   

A number of studies show that even allowing for factors such as prior offences, there is evidence of racial bias in sentencing. 

https://www.vox.com/identities/2017/11/17/16668770/us-sentencing-commission-race-booker

10 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

A number of studies show that even allowing for factors such as prior offences, there is evidence of racial bias in sentencing. 

https://www.vox.com/identities/2017/11/17/16668770/us-sentencing-commission-race-booker

From your link: There could be other factors. As the Sentencing Commission acknowledges, it’s possible that its analysis could be missing variables — “because a particular factor is unknown, or because data about it is not readily available.” For example, the report doesn’t have data for employment history or family circumstances, both of which could influence a judge’s sentence. As a result, the commission said its report “should be interpreted with caution and should not be taken to suggest discrimination on the part of judges.”

I wonder why it was the last paragraph?

12 minutes ago, mogandave said:

From your link: There could be other factors. As the Sentencing Commission acknowledges, it’s possible that its analysis could be missing variables — “because a particular factor is unknown, or because data about it is not readily available.” For example, the report doesn’t have data for employment history or family circumstances, both of which could influence a judge’s sentence. As a result, the commission said its report “should be interpreted with caution and should not be taken to suggest discrimination on the part of judges.”

I wonder why it was the last paragraph?

You’ll have to ask the author of the piece. 

However, doesn’t detract from the fact studies show there is evidence of racial bias in sentencing, not all of which can be explained away by factors such as previous convictions. 

I am not claiming sentencing is based on race, or judges are inherently racist. That is nonsense. 

That said, there are factors at play which are resulting in different sentencing outcomes, which cannot be explained away by overly simplistic claims of “previous convictions are the cause”. 

This study is 14 years old but it is an interesting read and a legitimate attempt to explore the differences. 

https://www.opensocietyfoundations.org/uploads/764bf150-13d8-4330-b08b-b04ae313308f/disparity.pdf

Edited by Bluespunk

Many Americans have had serious issues with black men, and minorities for centuries now. It continues. No question that there are millions of racists in the US. Not saying some minorities are not racist too. But, they have reason to be! It seems to be getting worse, as the racist in chief seems to be giving permission to his flock, to demonstrate their hatred. 

In terms of law enforcement, the extent to which profiling goes on is horrific. I sure am thankful I am not a black man in America. No thanks. I would have been gone far sooner than I left anyway. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Skallywag said:

He broke the law, doesn't matter how he is transported to jail IMO. 

When you are put in a  police car with hands handcuffed behind your back it is also demeaning. 

So what is the politically correct solution to all this?  

Treat criminals like upstanding citizens and have a Lincoln town car transport them to jail?!

Valid point. You’re not at the Hilton when you go to jail. In fact, many get hog-tied if you’re kicking. This is just BS trying to force a narrative. Funny how racism is pushed in a Thailand forum when Thailand has blatantly  racist practices. Maybe we should talk about those instead. Just a thought.

• Sad 2

You’ll have to ask the author of the piece. 

However, doesn’t detract from the fact studies show there is evidence of racial bias in sentencing, not all of which can be explained away by factors such as previous convictions. 

I am not claiming sentencing is based on race, or judges are inherently racist. That is nonsense. 

That said, there are factors at play which are resulting in different sentencing outcomes, which cannot be explained away by overly simplistic claims of “previous convictions are the cause”. 

This study is 14 years old but it is an interesting read and a legitimate attempt to explore the differences. 

https://www.opensocietyfoundations.org/uploads/764bf150-13d8-4330-b08b-b04ae313308f/disparity.pdf

All things being equal, if blacks are getting 20% longer sentences just because they are black, the judges are absolutely racist.
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, mogandave said:

All things being equal, if blacks are getting 20% longer sentences just because they are black, the judges are absolutely racist.

I’m not sure that is exactly what is happening but there are disparities in sentencing that need to be addressed. 

8 hours ago, daoyai said:

If you are ever in the great state of Texas, you would be ill-advised to call the residents "Yanks" or yankees.

It doesn't seem to matter what you do or say to be quite honest. You are still in danger of ending up a stiff. Assuming media reports are unbiased of course. 

1 hour ago, daoyai said:

Oh please. Seriously?!?

There is massive evidence of racial inequality in the U.S. "justice" system. I'm incredulous that anyone would even attempt to deny that. 

Study Reveals Worse Outcomes For Black And Latino Defendants

https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2014/07/17/332075947/study-reveals-worse-outcomes-for-black-and-latino-defendants

Now I will turn this back. Now is your chance to provide evidence that racial inequality does NOT exist in the U.S. "justice" system. I'm not holding my breath. I said evidence, not white nationalist opinion/ideology. 

Edited by Jingthing

5 minutes ago, mogandave said:

It might be worth noting that the only studies being done are to show that there is bias.

No one is funding studies to show there is not.

The funding is generally for "studies and research" the outcomes are showing a result, not something predetermined by funders generally.

• Like 1

The funding is generally for "studies and research" the outcomes are showing a result, not something predetermined by funders generally.

Actually that’s not completely true. It is true that the outcome is not predetermined, but studies have an objective and are designed to prove something within a specific margin of error, otherwise it’s just a mass of data.

You can generally use the same data set to prove any number of things. You can also manipulate the data and the margin of error to generate results that can be very misleading.

• Confused 1