Annoying, disgusting neighbor

Rael007

Couple months ago I heard this in the CNX intl departure business class lounge used by KE loudly hacking repeatedly disturbing people.. I went around the corner to glare at him, another man did the same. No change. Gave up, retreated put to on bluetooth over the ear headphones thinking If they had me next to this creep on the flight I would have to change seats!

Most Chines hock luigies in the street this guy must have been swallowing his phlegm. A disgusting habit. This must be unhealthful?

I lived in Surin for 6 years.I never care about the noise in the village.Just ignored it.Some start playing loud music 4-5 am...nowone care.Village chief make anounsements 5-6 in the morning.

Weddings 2-3 days,loud music 24 hour.Roosters start "talking"2-3 am.In my condo in BKK traffic and some use the horn,neighbours slamming doors.Sometimes party,sometimes figthing.I never interfare."if u cant beat them,join them"

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Soundspeed said:

I lived and worked in China in the days before and after Tien An men when there were few cars. The gross hawking and spitting is a facet of Chinese life particularly if your friend next door grew under the real communists. There were no toilets in buildings just unbelievably disgusting unsewered open public ones in  the street every hundred yards or so. The place was filthy and the population knew no difference.

" We march together and we shit together" was the slogan. So personal privacy and manners were discouraged.

We were running and handling cables on the ground all day on the project I was operating.  The spitting was rife and when we complained to our local manager he replied " What are we to do? We have to clear our throats out." So they simply issued my people with gloves. We still had to roll up and handle the cables covered in spittle though.

My point is that your co tenant cannot see anything wrong with what he is doing. So he is unlikely to stop. He thinks you are being unreasonable. I know Chinese tourists when coming to Australia were warned not to hawk and spit in the street but they were also advised not to wipe their dirty shoes on the hotel bed covers too. This where he's is probably at regarding polite behaviour.

The loud music might work as long as he knows what is causing you to play it but its unlikely he will modify his actions in his own home.

Sorry.

I was in China in the '80s and in the mornings it was like a chorus of hawking and spitting. It's normal for them, and this guy will never change.  It would be like asking you to start doing what he's doing.  You couldn't do it.  Talking to him would be futile.  I suggest if you really like where you're living, and that guy aside, sounds like you do, give it until his year is up.  If he leaves, just hope another doesn't replace him.  If he stays, you'll have to move.  

• Like 1

Not nice,I had similar some years ago,I had been in my apartment for a good seven years,great owners,nice neighbours,lovely surroundings until a new big fat German one moved in next to me,he was fine for a good year,always with a few sarcastic words and smug smile,no problem,then after about a year or so he suddenly went mental with loud music thumping through my wall non-stop,the last thing I want is confrontation,just live and let live,I dropped a few hints and he became worse,and always boozing with others on his veranda very noisily until the early hours,he had a lovely Thai lady always friendly,that was not a problem the late nights because it went with the territory and I was out most evenings until the early hours,and it was the place for late nights,others were complaining as well, the owners are excellent and were very good and I knew they only interfered if any violence happened or thieving went on,I wanted to know why he suddenly change from being friendly into a mental menace,I got talking to one of his ex German mates in a bar one night and he told me that my neighbour wanted me out so that a few of his Thai wife's family members could have my apartment,right,now I knew why, time for action,he was gone two months later.

Edited by eddysmit

On 8/7/2019 at 8:47 PM, SteveK said:

Exactly what I was thinking. Put some music on, not too loud, but loud enough to annoy him. Go out all day and preferably over night until he approaches you and try and agree a compromise. If you don't have a stereo, a constantly ringing alarm clock should do it. If it was me, I would play world of tanks all day with the volume up. The only issue with this tactic is that you are going to annoy more than just him.

Put your speakers against the wall connecting to his condo and play loud music or movies 24/7 this will bother him the most not the other tennants just not to loud but loud enough to bother him or buy him a box off fishermans friend every week 

Ask your owner to put an acoustic wall between to the two Condos.  Maybe you could even get them to install it in the other condo... But seriously a small 1/4-1/2 loss in you room dimension from the acoustic sheets/tile will hardly be noticed and make a big difference in room to room noise.

My neighbour rented their house to a bunch of students . It was hell. I used to get my revenge by playing heavy rock at ear splitting volume starting as soon as I knew they had finished and were gone to their beds . Of course that’s not nice ! 

• Haha 1

Get a stereo system with a couple heavy duty speakers. Set the speakers right against and pointing at the wall shared with his apartment. 

On a day you know he’s home, set the system to play loud annoying “thump, thump, thump, thump” heavy bass “music”. 

Then go out for the day while the “...thump, thump, thump..” blasts into his room all day. 

If he complains....explain to him, and offer to make a deal....which includes his quieting down his disgusting noises. 

Good luck ....???? 

Edited by Catoni
Correction

On 8/7/2019 at 7:45 PM, BritManToo said:

Move.

The OP should record some disgusting noises and play them back to him with it turned on at a loud volume and keep doing it giving him a taste of his own medicine.

1 hour ago, eddysmit said:

Not nice,I had similar some years ago,I had been in my apartment for a good seven years,great owners,nice neighbours,lovely surroundings until a new big fat German one moved in next to me,he was fine for a good year,always with a few sarcastic words and smug smile,no problem,then after about a year or so he suddenly went mental with loud music thumping through my wall non-stop,the last thing I want is confrontation,just live and let live,I dropped a few hints and he became worse,and always boozing with others on his veranda very noisily until the early hours,he had a lovely Thai lady always friendly,that was not a problem the late nights because it went with the territory and I was out most evenings until the early hours,and it was the place for late nights,others were complaining as well, the owners are excellent and were very good and I knew they only interfered if any violence happened or thieving went on,I wanted to know why he suddenly change from being friendly into a mental menace,I got talking to one of his ex German mates in a bar one night and he told me that my neighbour wanted me out so that a few of his Thai wife's family members could have my apartment,right,now I knew why, time for action,he was gone two months later.

So how was he gone two months later? Why did he decide to move? 

On 8/7/2019 at 2:47 PM, SteveK said:

Exactly what I was thinking. Put some music on, not too loud, but loud enough to annoy him. Go out all day and preferably over night until he approaches you and try and agree a compromise. If you don't have a stereo, a constantly ringing alarm clock should do it. If it was me, I would play world of tanks all day with the volume up. The only issue with this tactic is that you are going to annoy more than just him.

Could always play Des O’Connor albums day and night. And when he complains kick him straight in the nuts. 

• Haha 1

On 8/8/2019 at 3:07 PM, Rael007 said:

I appreciate all the advice. I've thought about the loud music thing, but I don't want to annoy others on my floor.  I've thought about more underhanded things, as well, but I'm generally not the kind of person who will "stoop to others' levels".  Also, I don't want to get into a war with him over this.  Could end badly for me.

My major peeve is that I - and some of my other neighbors - have lived here in harmony for quite some time.  Then this new tenant moves in, instantly becomes a nuisance, and refuses to see how he's annoying those around him.  So now, the resident whose been here for five years (me) has to change his lifestyle (wearing Bluetooth headphones or simply moving) instead of the new resident, who is a disgusting pig, changing his.  It would be different if I moved in next to him

one commenter asked if I'd actually spoken with the neighbor.  Yes, once.  He did not speak much English, or at least feigned ignorance.  Same for when the condo management came up to speak with him.  From what they told me, he said he was sick.  BS - he is not sick every day - literally every day - for the last 9 months.  If so, he should be confined to the hospital as a health hazard or deported.   (There is a part of me who thinks he might have TB; if so, how do I report that?)

That is why in certain communities, you got to have the approval of the residents before they accept you into their community. They want to feel you out whether you are a threat to their harmonious living . I am afraid this rule does not apply to cheaper abode. Anybody can stay so long as they can pay. Owners are not particularly concerned about their tenant’s well being.  That is why people wants to live in a single house( bungalow) far away from noisy neighbors and their pets. 

I would suggest you get a couple of motorbike guys to ‘talk’ to the offending chinaman to move to other place with his remaining lease paid by you. Again how well it work out depends upon what level in the power hierarchy you are compared to the Chinaman.

Shitty neighbors are everywhere in every levels of society. I lived in a single house in a good quiet neighborhood .Across directly my house separated by the village road lies my farang neighbor in another single house . He has three dogs which are not friendly. Always barking at passerby, delivery boys , mooban security guys and me as well whenever I drive in and out the house gate. One day, I told the owner off telling him that I cannot understand why he cannot teach his dogs to recognize me being at my own home and not at his. His reply? If you don’t like it, why don’t you move? Unfortunately I had bought the house. It is already 7 years and still the barking goes on. Now only hoping for the farang to leave Thailand. One of the three dogs did drop dead so that leaves two left. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Sounds like this Chinese fella has no idea he is terribly allergic to dairy products. No healthy person should produce that amount of phlegm. 

It is not phlegm per se. The mainland Chinese believe that accumulated saliva also contain germs so they spit it out. They attribute the accumulated saliva in the mouth as nature’s own phlegm. 

On 8/7/2019 at 7:19 PM, Rael007 said:

Last November, a new tenant moved into the unit next to me (judging from the conversations I can hear through the walls, he is Chinese), and from DAY ONE, he makes THE MOST DISGUSTING NOISES all day long.  Seriously, it's like living next to a hospital tuberculosis ward, and you can hear it throughout the entire floor.  Hacking, spitting, looging up phlegm - all extremely loudly and unabashedly.  This has been going on, day after day, morning and night, since November last year. 

same in hotel in Pattaya. Chinese tourist sounding like he was dying. i travel with ear plugs and now in extreme cases i wear to bed noise cancelling headphones while electronically reducing noise.

On 8/7/2019 at 9:36 PM, Hank Gunn said:

I kind of like the loud stereo/music idea. But you have to play the right music. For example, in some cases Led Zeppelin might work; some freaky John McGlaughlin can also be quite intense. However, in this case, I think some classic Black Sabbath would fit the bill. More specifically, "Sweat Leaf". ????

i was thinking "War Pigs". Live of course.

• Like 1

To  Talk like a Turbucelosis ward i think is over the top  or have u lived next to one of these wards ?

tb is a very frightening  sickness people should not joke with this 

as for your chinese friwnd  all china do it many think it is discusting 

but i think after 3 months like everything u get usto it and not realy hear it 

as the people say if u dont like talk to your house boss or as said move 

These days many many have short fuzes  tolerate nothing ,

• Confused 1

43 minutes ago, Ctkong said:

It is not phlegm per se. The mainland Chinese believe that accumulated saliva also contain germs so they spit it out. They attribute the accumulated saliva in the mouth as nature’s own phlegm. 

Bizarre, superstitious, ridiculous and annoying nonsense. What can one say?

On 8/7/2019 at 7:36 PM, Puchaiyank said:

An omen of things to come for Thailand?   

Buy yourself some earplugs...buy a headset for your cell phone...

He likely has an allergic reaction to Bangkok air pollution...not going to go away...maybe you "should" consider moving...peace and quiet are worth the discomfort of making the transition...good luck!

Chinese tend to do this. This is why they have spitoons.  They also spit around our pool. Luckily, they never stay long as it is a serviced apt.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Harveyg said:

Good choice.  Maybe have it on replay ...  ad nauseum

Indeed. However, since the "annoying, disgusting neighbor" is constantly hacking and coughing, perhaps just a loop of the first 10-20 seconds with the repeated "sweat-leaf hack".

"Uh huh, uh huh, uh huh,..."

That might communicate the root of the problem a little better.

18 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

I have the same issue with a neighbour in the UK. Total weirdo who will shout out "f@@king c@@t" as loud as he can at any time of the day. He is reclusive and hardly ever leaves the flat but after a few heated exchanges I realised there wasn't anything I could do...except buy  a pair of these

Not cheap but they are effective at allowing me to get a decent nights sleep

Wouldn't happen to be in Trowbridge by any chance or Peasedown?

15 hours ago, stigar said:

I lived in Surin for 6 years.I never care about the noise in the village.Just ignored it.Some start playing loud music 4-5 am...nowone care.Village chief make anounsements 5-6 in the morning.

Weddings 2-3 days,loud music 24 hour.Roosters start "talking"2-3 am.In my condo in BKK traffic and some use the horn,neighbours slamming doors.Sometimes party,sometimes figthing.I never interfare."if u cant beat them,join them"

What a way to live.