Well known farang monk accused of inappropriate behaviour

snoop1130

1 hour ago, khaowong1 said:

Yes Ctkong, I spent 7 years as a monk in Lopburi province, and for most of those years I couldn't quite get service to self vs service to others.  I was under the impression that STO was the goal, obviously it wasn't.  Sad in my opinion. 

STO is the goal for Mahayana Buddhism ( as opposed to Hinayana ) as in China, Taiwan, HK, Malaysia, Singapore , Australia Buddhism. 

In Thailand, once the monk achieved the highest level of cultivation, they practice making magic thus the emergence of magical amulet making. Most of the famous monks of Thailand are adept in making amulets. 

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Ctkong said:

Given today’s pragmatic society, the monks ain’t going to walk and forgo mechanical transport if they can help it. Problem is some of them drive luxury cars instead of the more practical basic model. 

Yes sir, most of the ones I saw driving, were driving vehicles that may or may not make it to town.  Most of the times, set up on blocks. 

4 hours ago, Ctkong said:

STO is the goal for Mahayana Buddhism ( as opposed to Hinayana ) as in China, Taiwan, HK, Malaysia, Singapore , Australia Buddhism. 

In Thailand, once the monk achieved the highest level of cultivation, they practice making magic thus the emergence of magical amulet making. Most of the famous monks of Thailand are adept in making amulets. 

I knew some Mahayana monks, from Vietnam.  I admired their STO.  Outstanding monks.  Thai monks used to make fun of them for their vegetarianism. 

On 8/9/2019 at 8:17 PM, snoop1130 said:

He added that the woman had unsuccessfully complained about the monk’s alleged misconduct to various organisations but none paid heed to her until the story reached Somchai, who posted it on Facebook.

She exposed him - guess he was lying to her. Now he'll have to find a job, or write a good book!

On 8/9/2019 at 8:09 PM, SteveK said:

I've seen many Thai monks smoking cigarettes, my wife told me that it is acceptable for them to smoke.

I've been told the opposite. It used to be the case that one would only see monks in neighboring countries like Laos smoke, but now one sees monks here smoke too. Whenever I see a monk smoke, I immediately lose respect for him.

"He added that the woman had unsuccessfully complained about the monk’s alleged misconduct to various organisations but none paid heed to her until the story reached Somchai,"

So the Swiss woman knowlingly seduces a Monk , or at least willingly bonks him repeatedly , then has the gall to lodge complaints about that same  Monk breaking the precepts of his teachings by bonking her ?

If theres a label for this sort of behaviour , beside 'hypocrisy' , I'd like to know it...

What an idiot. Just as the TM30 debacle and tightening of visas is going on, this stupid farang decides to act like an imbecile. He couldn't have picked a worse time. This guy has single handedly destroyed the reputation of farang who want to come here as monks. I wouldn't be surprised if immigration thinks twice about granting visas/extensions to foreigners wanting to stay here as monks.

Thai monks sometimes engage in the same behavior, but there are far, far more of them so they stand out less. However, I know of one Thai monk in the USA who did something similar, he went out with a Malaysian woman and was disrobed and dishonored by the small tight knit community in Texas he was serving.

I mean if this guy wants to live the backpacker/hippy lifestyle, why did he become a monk in the first place? He'd be far better off going off to live in Goa, getting a beach bungalow and smoking dope all day, banging up as many promiscuous western women he wants. 

24 minutes ago, drbeach said:

I mean if this guy wants to live the backpacker/hippy lifestyle, why did he become a monk in the first place? He'd be far better off going off to live in Goa, getting a beach bungalow and smoking dope all day, banging up as many promiscuous western women he wants. 

Goa sounds nice.

19 hours ago, SOTIRIOS said:

...'Honest to God'...

...is it my imagination....or does it only matter if there is a foreigner involved...???

....I have read about foreigners being arrested for collecting shells...feeding fish....fishing....

(...having been 'steered wrong by locals apparently...)

...and it's the foreigners facing heavy jail time or astronomical fines...

...now this....

....Thai monks are known to break their vows in so manyways...yet nothing is mentioned or done about it...

...is it because they are Thai...???

...is it because we are 'visible minorities'....therefore we 'have a target on our backs'...

...or is it because of the program....'turn in a foreigner for any wrongdoing and get paid'.....

(...I didn't believe this initially...but then even a few Thais told me about it...)

....gotta wonder....God Help us....

“....gotta wonder....God Help us....”

You mean....”....Buddha Help us....”

????????

On 8/9/2019 at 6:47 PM, Farangwithaplan said:

where can I send my recent photo of a monk smoking a cigarette whilst buying a lottery ticket in the temple grounds during a funeral?

What motive would you have for doing that?

Monks are men trying to better their lives, not all perfect. Remember some just go for a few days after a family death or before getting married.

Quite a few are recovering alcoholics, if you really want to feel superior, go ahead and post it on Facebook. I'd have more compassion.

Did you try to actually talk to the man, I find monks to be very interesting.

On 8/9/2019 at 4:47 AM, Farangwithaplan said:

where can I send my recent photo of a monk smoking a cigarette whilst buying a lottery ticket in the temple grounds during a funeral?

Everyone's a critic.  LOL. 

Piss on everyone who says you can’t be a monk. If you want to be a monk, be a monk. You just can’t be a monk in a local temple. Make your own little temple of you want. These bozos don’t own Buddhism.

21 hours ago, Solinvictus said:

Really? You should try to get a picture sometime if possible.

Just curious if you have seen this once or often?

Often, though not sitting on the podium chanting.  Normally walking around in back of the crematorium.  There are no written down rules about monks smoking.  The big bosses, who don't smoke, are trying to install in their temples, the risk smoking has on your health.  But as yet, outlawing smoking hasn't been put into effect. 

Archived