Back in the UK after 10 years in Thailand

20 hours ago, sanemax said:

No need to mention race or nationality ,I didnt mention anything about Race or Nationality , all under 30's seem to be slim , fit and lean nowadays regardless of their heritage , skin colour or nationality and its rather discriminatory/racist of you to suggest that White British people are overweight and Eastern Europeans are not 

but probably true

On 8/17/2019 at 12:23 AM, nontabury said:

Finally managed to repatriate enough money to purchase a house. 

How hard was that? 

I'm returning after 15 years here. Had enough, but was wondering how to cash out. Last time I tried wiring any money to the UK, there was loads of hoops to jump through, and it was only a small amount. 

13 minutes ago, longevity said:

How hard was that? 

I'm returning after 15 years here. Had enough, but was wondering how to cash out. Last time I tried wiring any money to the UK, there was loads of hoops to jump through, and it was only a small amount. 

Have you tried Dee Money? I haven't but meant to be straightforward and can transfer large amounts.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Essex Reject said:

Possibly, but I don't fancy being a 'farang' for the rest of my life. End of the day home is home and this country will never be that, we aren't even welcomed here and in the most part just seen as ATM's.

I've been a foreigner since I was 21, so I'm used to it. In fact, so much so, I don't want to rejoin the herd anymore.

• Like 2
23 hours ago, sanemax said:

Loving the cold weather (20-25 Degrees) and the fresh breathable air, can go out anytime without needing to avoid the heat/sun .

Dont feel drousy or tired , which the heat of Thailand causes , can think straight .

Loving the supermarkets and the plentiful and cheap food , 6 Mr Kiplins Vienamese whirls for 37 Baht .

Need to very careful on the roads , cannot just walk across the road , only cross at red lights

No what you mean, this constant heat is killing me, absolutely sick of it and is know way to live. Infact it's utter madness.

On 8/17/2019 at 12:23 AM, nontabury said:

Not true, I returned to the U.K last year with two children, found it very difficult, and nearly impossible to even rent a property, due to having no credit history. Social housing, we were down at band D, so no chance in 100yrs. Finally managed to repatriate enough money to purchase a house. 

Unfortunately not all returning Brits have that financial backing.

Funny thing is when I left many years ago I have kept a UK bank account (thankfully) but have hardly ever used it except for having a credit card linked to it which I have always had debt on. May well turn out to be a good thing as it has maintained my credit history so I should be ok if I head back in 2021, and will clear the debt well in advance.

• Like 2

i was back in the uk recently but bm bargains, home bargains underprice all the supermarkets along with lidl and aldi .. in many ways its cheaper than thailand. this illusion of cheap food in thailand is easily unwrapped.

lets do the maths 3/4 a plate of 18 baht a kilo cheap white rice and a smidgen of pork 40 baht ..  no wonder its cheap its <deleted> and its the reason thai women are so slim and  sexy .. they can't afford to eat real food. Like us farangs

What someone said about the weather is so true .. i do miss the breeze, if not the women

lol 

Edited by jaffas21
  • Like 2
1 minute ago, jaffas21 said:

i was back in the uk recently but bm bargains, home bargains underprice all the supermarkets along with lidl and aldi .. in many ways its cheaper than thailand. this illusion of cheap food in thailand is easily unwrapped.

lets do the maths 3/4 a plate of 18 baht a kilo cheap white rice and a smidgen of pork 40 baht ..  no wonder its cheap its <deleted> and its the reason thai women are so slim and  sexy .. they can't afford to eat real food. Like us farangs

lol 

You fogot the 2 tablespoons of sugar and msg. Very healthy !

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Essex Reject said:

Funny thing is when I left many years ago I have kept a UK bank account (thankfully) but have hardly ever used it except for having a credit card linked to it which I have always had debt on. May well turn out to be a good thing as it has maintained my credit history so I should be ok if I head back in 2021, and will clear the debt well in advance.

I also have a couple of UK bank accounts. One sterling and one US$. Have had them since 1981. I also have a couple of credit cards that were issued by the same bank and I have always paid the full amount every month.

In the year 2000, I was getting my house built and had a cash-flow problem. I applied for a loan that amounted to two months salary, which they could see as a deposited every month.

I was turned down. The reason being that I didn't have a credit record.

Fiscally responsible people, those that save and pay off their debts immediately have been penalized for years with low interest rates and non-existent credit records. Those that are fiscally irresponsible are welcomed with open arms and are given my savings which the banks make money off. Sad state of affairs.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

The only advantage to being in the UK is that they can't deny you residency. I am home where I hang my hat, I don't much care where it is as long as it isn't the UK. If you see yourself as being an ATM here (over exaggerated view IMO) then you are mixing with the wrong people and living in the wrong place, I haven't found that in Isaan, yes somewhat in CM but depending where you are.

It doesn't matter where you are - it is who you are with........ as you say, mix/afix yourself to the wrong people and a price will be paid.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Essex Reject said:

I live full time in Thailand.

My credit score is 555.

I have just been offered a credit card with 0% finance on balance transfers for 28 months, with a 1% fee.

27 minutes ago, Essex Reject said:

If you are below pensionable age,and register at a job centre,you will have to pass an HRT (Habitual Residence Test),before you will get any assistance,even if you were born in the UK,and have aUK passport and N.Insurance number.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
36 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

The only advantage to being in the UK is that they can't deny you residency. I am home where I hang my hat, I don't much care where it is as long as it isn't the UK. If you see yourself as being an ATM here (over exaggerated view IMO) then you are mixing with the wrong people and living in the wrong place, I haven't found that in Isaan, yes somewhat in CM but depending where you are.

And there it is, the standard cliched response, I'm just surprised it took 18 minutes.

4 minutes ago, Essex Reject said:

is there anything in your little world that isn't perfect?

When I come to think about it................................ no, not really.

Brexit could get sorted out quicker/better, then I could decide how I divide my time over the next couple of years.

Thanks for asking.

On 8/10/2019 at 12:45 PM, taninthai said:

That is actually lake Conniston camped in my van on the lakeside £10 a night 

pic below is Grassmere absolutely beautiful there.

6E6E6BC4-1114-4575-AFC2-1A7316D2DE97.jpeg

thats beautiful, is fishing allowed there?  looks to be great hiking as well

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Essex Reject said:

I get a lot of things the wrong way round these days ????

As long as it's not the Mrs (or Mr of course)   LOL

Although cum to think of it......................................

Edited by wgdanson
  • Like 2
7 minutes ago, nontabury said:

Where are you staying,certainly not in the same part of the U.K as myself. 

All I ever seem to see is very fat people, especially the females. The few who are reasonable slim, are usually non Brits. This was confirmed to me last week, while in London, where to be fair, there were many non fat people, but again those who I heard speak, seemed to be talking a foreign language.

Your observations mirror my own findings.