Back in the UK after 10 years in Thailand

On 9/8/2019 at 2:37 AM, FredGallaher said:

That's why uncontrolled immigration or wide open borders doesn't work for the the resident population. They globalist think it great but isn't. 

When I was young I could always get some <deleted> kind of summer or afterschool job and work through the university. Those jobs are the first to go with open immigration. They also taught me to work hard and get ahead.

Thailand has high employment. Pay may be low but is skill based. Immigrants only seem to fell the left over jobs unwanted by Thais. 

Thailand does supply some low income housing and benefits but they are not designed to keep people down. 

What on earth is a globalist? Is it a dog whistle meme meaning jews? Please define what you mean by 'globalist'

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

26 Pence for 500 ML of water ?Many UK convenience stores have 1.5 L of mineral water for 50 P and the bigger supermarkets have 2 litres for 17 pence . Four times the amount of water for nearly half the price

OK, I surrender on the price.  But still hard to beat some of the fun girls that work at the 7-11s and at all times of the night often are entertaining stores to pop into! 

On 9/27/2019 at 11:15 AM, sanemax said:

My old mums getting on a bit and lived alone in a large house .

So Shes quite happy to have me staying there and I can make sure that Shes OK .

Thats what Families do , not all parents desert their Children and not all children desert their parents .

Taking care of your mum isnt IMO an "epic fail" .

I do also think that  you are wrong about myself calling anyone "losers" , as I have no recollection of that  and that isnt the type of language  that I usually use and as I'm out most days most of the day , I dont spend all day posting on here         ' 

12 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

OK, I surrender on the price.  But still hard to beat some of the fun girls that work at the 7-11s and at all times of the night often are entertaining stores to pop into! 

Yes, I enjoyed watching the 7/11 girls having to count the change three times , after attempting to hand your change back to you after every count , changing their minds, taking the money back to give it another count and then after the third attempted hand back , take the money back again to add the receipt and then after the fourth attempted change hand back. they take the three times counted money, the receipt back and add a few stickers . 

After extending my arm five times, Finally got my change, the receipt and stickers worth one Baht each .

And I did always find it funny watching the 7/11 girls trying to get four items into a little plastic bag, then after a few minutes realising that the bag was to small and then getting a bigger bag 

• Sad 2
6 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Yes, I enjoyed watching the 7/11 girls having to count the change three times , after attempting to hand your change back to you after every count , changing their minds, taking the money back to give it another count and then after the third attempted hand back , take the money back again to add the receipt and then after the fourth attempted change hand back. they take the three times counted money, the receipt back and add a few stickers . 

After extending my arm five times, Finally got my change, the receipt and stickers worth one Baht each .

And I did always find it funny watching the 7/11 girls trying to get four items into a little plastic bag, then after a few minutes realising that the bag was to small and then getting a bigger bag 

Some stamps are worth 3, almost got a book filled.

On 8/9/2019 at 12:55 PM, KittenKong said:

You are buying them in the wrong shop. All those items are much cheaper in the UK than they are here.

What I have noticed about the prices .

500 ml of coke is £ 1.40

1.25 liters of coke is 90 P

1 pack of crisps is 90 P

a six bag pack of crisps is 1 Pound

I will be spending this winter, my first in the UK for over 10 years. I am not planning of making a habit of it and might go mad if I was stuck in some dreary village in the countryside, but I'm not. So let's see how things go. The weather is just starting to turn a little colder. Lunch today in Borough Market: Iberico ham sandwich. Only 5.75 pounds.

5 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Some stamps are worth 3, almost got a book filled.

what are those stamps for?  I was just there for 3 weeks and every now and then I would get a stamp or two.  Are they like S&H green stamps we used to get in the States back in the 60s?  Are they worth anything?  Are they used in lieu of getting tiny little satang coins or do they have no monetary value until you fill up some book of stamps?

3 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

I will be spending this winter, my first in the UK for over 10 years. I am not planning of making a habit of it and might go mad if I was stuck in some dreary village in the countryside, but I'm not. So let's see how things go. The weather is just starting to turn a little colder. Lunch today in Borough Market: Iberico ham sandwich. Only 5.75 pounds.

A little snap of cold air can be quite refreshing.  The winter weather is not too bad if one does NOT have to commute in it. But just like a New England winter, boy, sometimes that weather drags on far too long and by February, the people able to do it got their arsses down to Florida!  I still dearly miss the Autumn in Rhode Island, Mass, New Hampshire.  The seasons give one a sense of time passing.  I live in Florida now, and work a lot in California.  I can't complain about the weather, but really do miss the things I grew up with.  Now being able to and having a decent and reliable SUV, and being able to have a garage I could drive in and out of, the winter weather would not be as bad as it could be.  But still, wearing simple walking/hiking sandals, shorts and a T-shirt is by far more preferable.  18 days of work left then I am vested in company 401k matching contributions and the coin is in the air as to the actual punch out date!  Probably will contract part time of the year just to keep my mind active.  As an engineer I do miss working with mostly rational people that can hold a thought in their heads.  EveryNorthrop Functional Home Room manager excluded of course

6 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

what are those stamps for?  I was just there for 3 weeks and every now and then I would get a stamp or two.  Are they like S&H green stamps we used to get in the States back in the 60s?  Are they worth anything?  Are they used in lieu of getting tiny little satang coins or do they have no monetary value until you fill up some book of stamps?

Pretty much like the S&H stamps back in the day. No monetary value, trade in for merchandise. 

• Like 1
15 hours ago, roo860 said:

I hope you're joking about 20 bloody quid!!!!
emoji21.png

\

Nope  ,she only asked for ten quid a week  , but I insisted on £20 .

That includes everything , although I do buy my own food .

Shes off on a 2 month Caribbean cruise next week , so , Ill have the place to myself .

Looking forward to becoming a drunkard again, not had a beer for two months

• Haha 1
6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Well said, abandoning your old mom to live alone for ten years isn't an award winner.

I spent loads of time with my parents every day when they were alive (except when I was at university).

It’s the only reason at the moment for me spending any time in the U.K. Tbh. When I’m back in Thailand I don’t miss it at all. 

Horses for courses of course. 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Well said, abandoning your old mom to live alone for ten years isn't an award winner.

I spent loads of time with my parents every day when they were alive (except when I was at university).

My parents abandoned me when I was a kid. Why the <deleted> should I have spent time with them as an adult?

18 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I’m going back to the uk for a two week visit next week.
Kids, grandkids and an ageing father to visit is pretty much my only agenda.
Not looking forward to the weather though as I plan to do plenty of walking, taking photos etc, the cold won’t be much of a problem but the rain is a real bummer !!

This visit will be strange, my parents house , my place of birth, was always there since I left the uk 25 years ago until this year when it was sold, mum passed 20 years ago and dad, at 90 , has had to retire his freedom in exchange for a care home.
So , it’s a bnb for me for two weeks, will give me a small taste of what returning to the uk alone could be like.

my parents house , my place of birth, was always there since I left the uk 25 years ago until this year when it was sold

You wuz lucky. My dear old mum built a house with only one bedroom so her children couldn't come to stay.

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

There's more to Thailand than the <deleted> place you like to live in/ go to.

Some places on the islands are jaw droppingly beautiful, sea is definitely swimmable in, air is clean and clear, no garbage anywhere, food is wonderful, no traffic, no police.  LOS isn't the only place in the world one can't drink tap water, and food isn't expensive unless want to eat processed imported food. If don't like alcoholic drink prices, no one is forcing one to drink it.

Try getting out a bit before slagging LOS off.

I swim in the waterfalls around CM nearly every week, no sea nearby.

I also drink the tap water, same as I did in the UK.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, sanemax said:

What I have noticed about the prices .

500 ml of coke is £ 1.40

1.25 liters of coke is 90 P

1 pack of crisps is 90 P

a six bag pack of crisps is 1 Pound

Cheaper Coke,Water,and crisps, still won't tempt me to 

return,so you give your mother 3 quid a day to look after

you,come on man it's your mother,I would not be that

stupid to tell the whole World,that.

regards worgeordie

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Maybe she charged him backpay ( £20 a week for 10 years ) ?

Yep, that should cover a two month Caribbean cruise emoji51.png

At least he bought something back from Thailand with him. About the same room rate the Bar Girls pay in a sweaty one bed hole. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

There's more to Thailand than the <deleted> place you like to live in/ go to.

Some places on the islands are jaw droppingly beautiful, sea is definitely swimmable in, air is clean and clear, no garbage anywhere, food is wonderful, no traffic, no police.  LOS isn't the only place in the world one can't drink tap water, and food isn't expensive unless want to eat processed imported food. If don't like alcoholic drink prices, no one is forcing one to drink it.

Try getting out a bit before slagging LOS off.

But you left Thailand. That poster had some valid points especially the air it appears the whole of Thailand is choking and Bangkok has been bad the last few days.

I head back to oz for a year shortly for medical reasons and free medication something that would cost a fortune here and look forward to 5 litres cask wine (250 bht) and cheese and deli foods dirt cheap

Thailand is and was all about the pussy and take that away and NONE of us would be here! but even that is way to expensive as western currency continues to Free fall with no end in sight

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3
13 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Cheaper Coke,Water,and crisps, still won't tempt me to 

return,so you give your mother 3 quid a day to look after

you,come on man it's your mother,I would not be that

stupid to tell the whole World,that.

regards worgeordie

Although it just isnt cheaper coke water and crisps , those are just a few examples and I could give plenty more examples of things that are cheaper in the UK.

I also didnt state that I give my mother 3 quid a day to look after me , that is the money to cover my expenses and I had to insist that I pay my way .

Maybe your Mother would charge you a higher rate and make a profit out of you  , my mum would let me stay for free .

Me too, I wouldnt charge family rent  who came to stay with me .

Although I would accept if they insisted on paying their expenses, if they stayed long term 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1