Back in the UK after 10 years in Thailand

17 hours ago, faraday said:

Some of the usual suspects sparring, I see.

:laugh:

Anyway Sanemax, I'm sitting on the patio having a lovely cold beer......

When it's 18:30 UK time, I guess you'll be thinking about warming drinks.

Is it raining there?

????

Nope , given up drinking and nope, not raining here  , a warm 20 degrees .

Say hello to the mosquitoes , cockroaches and ants  from me 

• Confused 2

Early on in this thread Max said he was only in the uk for a few weeks to “ sort some things out “ . Then he started making noises that maybe he prefers the uk to Thailand.
Then, dramatically ( and I am surprised no one called him out on this ) he started to fill in the online form for a Thai visa, decided it was too much trouble and deleted it.

So what’s the story now Max, never coming back to LOS ? Have you burnt your bridges here ?, did you go to the uk with the intention of staying or was it a few weeks trip as you said before ?

Not having a go Max , but it seems unlikely you went for a few weeks to “ sort some things out “ without already having a view to staying.

As I said, not having a go, just curious as to what your thoughts were when you left here .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, FredGallaher said:

What a lot of wind. Hope you have either left or will go soon.  Thailand isn't for everybody and you for sure. 

Some farang are well grounded and happy. Others like you seem to blow a cork if someone doesn't agree with your views. 

Especially if the word "farang" is in ear shot......????

• Haha 2
10 minutes ago, donnacha said:

By trapped, I was not referring to people who have settled down in one place and are at peace with that decision. In that case, it does not matter if they do or do not have the option to move elsewhere, they are satisfied with their situation.

The ones who are "trapped" are those who harbor deep doubts or even regrets about the situation they have ended up in, but no longer have realistic alternatives. The unsolvable angst gets poured into an incessant campaign of posts bitterly attacking anyone whose plans threaten to undermine their fragile, defensive reasoning for their own existence.

I get it, I really do. I get into arguments sometimes on this forum, and can be quite scathing in what I write, but I actually have real sympathy for the pain these guys are clearly in.

Thank you for those kind wishes.

Yes, my priorities have already shifted significantly as I age. Now, in my mid-40s, I have little interest in visiting tourist attractions, wild parties, or cities in general.

I like to land in one place for at least three months and have a very settled existence, involving lots of reading and writing, interspersed with long walks in the Irish mountains or along the Spanish coast. I eat simply and drink rarely. I find that a change of scene and weather a few times per year is sufficient novelty to keep life interesting.

Strangely, I find this migratory pattern actually helps my relationship. She gets to spend long months surrounded by her family but is also pleased that she will also get away from them for long stretches. She likes to work a lot too, so, really, the continuous strand that connects our year is the work we do online, which remains the same regardless of where we are. It works well.

At one stage I did consider the option of buying an Elite visa, and living in Thailand all year round. The money wasn't a problem, but I don't like feeling scammed. It was a lucky break really because it forced us to try other options and, now, I don't think either of us would drop the migratory pattern unless we are knocked out of it by medical needs. I reasonably confident that, if we want to keep doing this, it will remain possible for decades to come. International travel will continue to drop in cost, more people will live like this, and even Thailand will eventually get past the current anti-Western hysteria.

I thought you were about 80.....????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 8/10/2019 at 5:02 AM, Puchaiyank said:

Has even 1 person said: "Welcome, handsome man?"

I seriously doubt it....no happy endings in the UK or at least that break the bank account...don't get started on the weather topic...LOL

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Yes, but in the UK they don't come and start eating you alive when you are sitting down outside .

I can assure you they can and do. I had an ornate stocked fishpond at the end of my house garden in London, had a wooden Tikky bar too, all with very nice lighting for after dark. Mosquitoes and ants were a pest there, but like here one soon learns how to deal with them....????‍????

• Like 1

Come back and tell us what it is like in January...????

Dr Google tells me that the temperature in January is typically between 14-28 degrees C, with very little rain.  Sounds very nice, because I've got tired of Thailand and Myanmar 'hot and hotter'.  I miss cooler days.

But I'll report back in a few months from now ????

9 hours ago, James Tilley said:

I  trust if you are back in the UK for a short while that you have applied for your UK pension to be uprated while there, even if it falls back when you return to Thailand? 

Nat Seniors; Frozen British expat pensioners urged to.docx 129.38 kB · 4 downloads

Not old enough to receive a pension  , but made sure my ten years of contributing is up top date, so I can receive a pension when I get old enough