The bad exchange rates is in a way another visa tightening..

2 minutes ago, TSF said:

Fortunately for me I transferred AUD to my Thai bank account for the sole purpose of satisfying Thai Imm retirement ext requirements about a decade ago when the AUD was worth around 30THB. And I transferred another large sum about 6 years ago to buy a new car, also getting around 30THB to the AUD. I sure wouldn't like to be dealing in those large sums at today's rate.

For those who can handle the 800K and not do it in Baht on Th. bank are taking a big gamble …

Just like you 10 years ago I got from even the cheap Kasikorn bank 47.55 baht when I burned my E.U. ship ….glad I did , against all advice from those who fear Thai banks ,never had a problem with Bank or I.o.  having peace of mind , and even now I would make big problem changing it for my poor Euro ...

Only now my Incoming Euros stay in E.U. bank , not accepting those crazy rates ….

Good for when I return in to 3.5 years for at least 51 % home country 49% else where

• Like 1

The real tragedy of the current exchange rate is that it is mostly down to a self inflicted wound..the madness commonly referred to as Brexit.And to compound it all I have a sneaking suspicion that the powers that be won't even allow us to finally leave so it could turn out to be all for nothing.It all shows that democracy will never rise above 'the least worst system'.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, chang50 said:

The real tragedy of the current exchange rate is that it is mostly down to a self inflicted wound..the madness commonly referred to as Brexit.

How was the Brexit vote responsible for the strength of the Thai Baht , baring in mind that the Thai Baht has been one of the worlds best performing  currencies over the last few years ?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, sanemax said:

How was the Brexit vote responsible for the strength of the Thai Baht , baring in mind that the Thai Baht has been one of the worlds best performing  currencies over the last few years ?

The Pound started going down 2016 when the UK voted yes to leave the EU. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tayaout said:

Some users reported using a pound denominated deposit account in a Thai bank and it was accpeted by immigration. So basically you don't ever need to exchange to THB. 

I know for sure that you can have the 800k in a Fixed Deposit Account with a higher interest,but I have never heard about having the money in a Foreign Currency Account.

16 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

The Pound started going down 2016 when the UK voted yes to leave the EU. 

And so also because that my € got his "share of going down" after the Greek problem got solved ! 

The Pound at 75 to the Baht.....10,666 Pounds needed for 800,000

The Pound at 65 to the Baht.....12,370 Pounds needed for 800,000

The Pound at 55 to the Baht.....14,545 Pounds needed for 800,000

The Pound at 45 to the Baht.....17,777 Pounds needed for 800,000

The Pound at 35 to the Baht.....22,857 Pounds needed for 800,000

The Pound at 30 to the Baht.....26,666 Pounds needed for 800,000

If you put the 800k worth back when 75, your 10,666 pounds are now worth 26,666 pounds. Don't know when it was 75, but seems like a decent return to pay for your next bed sit should you decide to exit from Thailand.

"Always look on the bright side of life"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, CNXexpat said:

In 2 years the Britons will remember the good exchange rate in August 2019 and think "why the hell I haven´t changed all my money 2 years ago". 

This is always the story... why didn't I buy microsoft at $2 a share type story... and people tell that story as if they might have bought... and if only - they would be rich now... but if you mention buying at current market and in 10 years they might be rich, they scoff quickly at the idea as they did 30 years ago when msft was at $2... 

Everyone could have been rich in hindsight... 

• Like 1

Australian pensioners get a yearly statement as to what payments they can expect to see each month. The center link document clearly says Australian government on the top. Why can't the the Australian government simply certify this document then get immigration to accept is as official. Have it treated same as old stat deck letter that is truly accurate. ? Am I missing something here?

1 minute ago, BoBoTheClown said:

Why would any one from England want to pay 800,000 baht to stay in Thailand today? 

Nobody has to, it is money you can take home with you any time. 

Some pay more for Elite Visas.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tayaout said:

Some users reported using a pound denominated deposit account in a Thai bank and it was accpeted by immigration. So basically you don't ever need to exchange to THB. 

Correct. I still do.

11 hours ago, RoadWarrior371 said:

I bet a lot of Brits wish they would have transferred their 800k over a few years ago.  Seems to be a UK specific issue, not a visa  issue.

I did , when I first came here in 2005 i got 74 baht to the £ but let’s face it the £ has been poor since the 2009 crash

7 minutes ago, Max69xl said:
19 minutes ago, john69 said:

You need to send over 800.000 every year?

No,just once and then keep it over 800k for 2+3 months,then a minimum of 400k the rest of the year. Then back to 800k again. 

You need at least 800K plus 5 months living expenses for year one. Then you'd need to send over whatever is required to top up what you've spent each year afterwards.

• Like 1

Thai immigration has got absolutely nothing to do with the complete weakness of Sterling/Dollar, Euro/Dollar AUD/Dollar etc etc which is causing 75% of the woes for those countries exchange rates with the other 25% being the strength of the Baht against that same Dollar

God alone knows what the cartel rates at airport are this weekend......must be 34.xx for Sterling for sure

7 minutes ago, elviajero said:

You need at least 800K plus 5 months living expenses for year one. Then you'd need to send over whatever is required to top up what you've spent each year afterwards.

Read my post. Those are the new requirements from March 1. 800k for 2 months before applying for 1 year extension and 3 months after. Then you can not go below 400k rest of the year.

6 hours ago, moe666 said:

I think you are directing the failing health of the UK toward the wrong people. I am sure if you did the research you will find the fall of the lb. to the baht is related to activity in your on country. The economy of Thailand has also improved since the days of 75 to the dollar anyone who expected the baht to stay this low for ever is lacking a few brain cells. Any one with a problem over the pound failing should talk to their new PM

It is the £, not the lb,that's for weight. Just saying, don't get mad at me!    LOL

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, david555 said:

as long the rate is keeping it 800 K baht value during the time of pre & after seasoning + the 400K seasoning  remaining months...  possible maybe , but how you go to anticipate on that ?

Put equivalent of Bht 900,000 in !

Edited by wgdanson

11 hours ago, RoadWarrior371 said:

I bet a lot of Brits wish they would have transferred their 800k over a few years ago.  Seems to be a UK specific issue, not a visa  issue.

But but bar stool analyst's always say never put even 1 baht in a Thai bank.

Boy did they get that wrong ! Feel sorry for the sucker's that bought into it

Never ever take financial advise from TV !!! great forum for Price of beer discussion through

Edited by madmen
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, TSF said:

Unfortunately my sole income these days is in from Australia. I haven't transferred money for a couple years now as I've been making fairly frequent trips to Oz so bring back cash, but last time I changed I got 21.35, that was in BKK a couple months ago, I believe it's even less now. I'm not sinking just yet but many things are off the table now...like side trips for teerak & I to Vietnam & Cambodia. I've certainly had to pull the belt in and life here in Thailand ain't as much fun as it was in the past.

For me a different co incidence situation .... before I brought money in to buy condo , gave me a 50% chance to do ….. now only 5 % chance , and only when a very low real fire sale on location at my choice would anyway appear , and thus now using that Baht for living , never brought in any Euro anymore , so no headache for the exchange rate as no transfers anymore for my planned 3.5 year Thailand stay . As I see the Thai Gov. moves only become more & more troublesome become in future , even when complaining less tourists …!

Only transferring like said if the "not to refuse offer" would come 

Different for all of us involved ….. "Paradise lost  anyway"

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Max69xl said:
35 minutes ago, elviajero said:

Read my post. Those are the new requirements from March 1. 800k for 2 months before applying for 1 year extension and 3 months after. Then you can not go below 400k rest of the year.

Read my post. I didn't say otherwise.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Put equivalent of Bht 900,000 in !

Just making an example is not my budget sum needed to live here , only showing how much Immigration freeze now , have enough more than the 800K on bank already few years ????

Edit : sorry understood you wrong , thought you answered on my own situation ...now I realized it was on another post of mine ...about the possible exchange rate changing 

Edited by david555