The bad exchange rates is in a way another visa tightening..

3 hours ago, Max69xl said:

The Pound started going down 2016 when the UK voted yes to leave the EU. 

Whilst I agree Brexit has had a negative effect, the Pound has been on the slide for far longer than that. Historical data on how the Pound performs against other currencies is easy to find online.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CNXexpat said:

In 2 years the Britons will remember the good exchange rate in August 2019 and think "why the hell I haven´t changed all my money 2 years ago". 

Agree. If you live in Thailand get your money into Baht NOW!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, elviajero said:

Read my post. I didn't say otherwise.

Yes,you did. You said 800k plus 5 months. It's 800k in the bank for 5 months, and not below 400k for the rest of the year. And not for the first year as you wrote. It will be exactly same requirements next year, if they don't change the requirements again,of course.

30 minutes ago, Mitkof Island said:

Just wait for another year or less. The Thai economy from everyone in debt buying new cars , homes and building resorts they could never afford is about to crash. Its going to make 1997 look like nothing. Spend, spend, spend to show off to everyone. LOOK AT ME ! No different than an arrogant stuck up woman with a big chest.

I SOOOOOOO hope you are correct! Have been waiting for a repeat of that glorious time since about 2002! This place needs coming back down to Earth in a major way and nothing would make me happier!!! :vampire:

Edited by Skeptic7
  • Thanks 1

Immigration used to adjust with cost of living and exchange rates. In my time I have seen it rise from 200,000 to 800,000.

I wish I'd bought the "lifetime " Thai Elite Visa.

I am budgeting for the current required monetary value required times two. Just incase there is no grandfathering allowed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Max69xl said:

Yes,you did. You said 800k plus 5 months. It's 800k in the bank for 5 months, and not below 400k for the rest of the year. And not for the first year as you wrote. It will be exactly same requirements next year, if they don't change the requirements again,of course.

So if you only send 800K to Thailand what are you going to live on for the 5 months you can’t touch the money?

You need at least 800K PLUS living expenses for 5 months.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, elviajero said:

So if you only send 800K to Thailand what are you going to live on for the 5 months you can’t touch the money?

You need at least 800K PLUS living expenses for 5 months.

Can't touch the money? Did I say I only have 800k in the bank?  I need a minimum of 800k in the bank for 5 months. I have way more than that,and more money keeps coming every month.

9 hours ago, Matzzon said:

It might be that it goes well for the baht and if other currencies would maintain their value, they would in fact be overrated instead. I bet that kind of thought never crossed you mind, due to that we can only se the negative with Thailand ans all connected to that when something not makes us happy. In fact, the problem might originate from once own country instead. If that is not to much in the economic land of utopia for you. It´s always hard to see and admitt the problems that are closest to home.

You couldn't even make it to the end of my sentence?

"It's a valid point though, the baht is absurdly overvalued, and even Thailand's most wanted (the Chinese and Indians) have seen their currencies nosedive against the baht recently."

If you're in doubt that the strength of the baht isn't creating all manner of problems for Thai exports and tourism, you need to get off this forum and pick up a newspaper, and while you're at it, go and check the currency charts over the past few years. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

You couldn't even make it to the end of my sentence?

"It's a valid point though, the baht is absurdly overvalued, and even Thailand's most wanted (the Chinese and Indians) have seen their currencies nosedive against the baht recently."

If you're in doubt that the strength of the baht isn't creating all manner of problems for Thai exports and tourism, you need to get off this forum and pick up a newspaper, and while you're at it, go and check the currency charts over the past few years. 

No I am in no doubt over that, and I have been writing and commenting a lot about that too. You should not go to telling people to get off this forum.

1 hour ago, Max69xl said:

Can't touch the money? Did I say I only have 800k in the bank?  I need a minimum of 800k in the bank for 5 months. I have way more than that,and more money keeps coming every month.

Our conversation started because someone asked if they have to send over 800K every year, I am saying that they need 800K year one PLUS 5 months living expenses, and they need to top up to 800K PLUS 5 months living expenses every year thereafter.

7 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

No I am in no doubt over that, and I have been writing and commenting a lot about that too. You should not go to telling people to get off this forum.

Your reply to me suggests you considered the problem was with the dollar and the pound only. Since you obviously have an aversion to factual information, let me help you - you won't even need to log out. 

Edited by lamyai3
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Max69xl said:

The Pound started going down 2016 when the UK voted yes to leave the EU. 

The pound crashed twice against the baht - after the 2008 global financial crisis, and then (after recovering by around 20%), very dramatically after the Brexit fiasco. It's currently in the midst of another nosedive, having dropped more than 10% since May this year alone. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Matzzon said:

No, it´s not a direct visa issue, but it becomes an indirect issue. However, it´s all about planning with a buffer for unforseen circumstances. it´s not UK specific either, but they are probably the ones that suffers the most. Almost all currencies have been falling against the baht. US dollar has avoided most of that by beeing connected to the baht´s fluctations.

You can just take the swedish krona, norweigian krona and the danish krona as a few examples. Also the euro has benn sinking a lot from what it once was.

In 2004 when the euro was up in 50 baht then it was 16 000 euro and now it´s over 24 000 euro to come up to 800 000 baht.

The sweden krona is another example. Once it was about 5,4 baht per krona. Now it´s around 3 baht per krona. That means a difference from then to now with around 148 000 to compare with todays staggering almost 267 000 krona for make 800 000 baht.

But sure, the GBP has made the worst with around 60% loss from it´s highest recorded rate against the baht.

I would be happy to be getting the UK pound exchange rate for the Australian Dollar I think we are down to about 20.? Baht.

28 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

Your reply to me suggests you considered the problem was with the dollar and the pound only. Since you obviously have an aversion to factual information, let me help you - you won't even need to log out. 

Can you please tell me what is wrong with your capability to understand, or is it only that you not read before you comment? Below you can see what I wrote earlier in this thread:

13 hours ago, Matzzon said:

No, it´s not a direct visa issue, but it becomes an indirect issue. However, it´s all about planning with a buffer for unforseen circumstances. it´s not UK specific either, but they are probably the ones that suffers the most. Almost all currencies have been falling against the baht. US dollar has avoided most of that by beeing connected to the baht´s fluctations.

You can just take the swedish krona, norweigian krona and the danish krona as a few examples. Also the euro has benn sinking a lot from what it once was.

In 2004 when the euro was up in 50 baht then it was 16 000 euro and now it´s over 24 000 euro to come up to 800 000 baht.

The sweden krona is another example. Once it was about 5,4 baht per krona. Now it´s around 3 baht per krona. That means a difference from then to now with around 148 000 to compare with todays staggering almost 267 000 krona for make 800 000 baht.

But sure, the GBP has made the worst with around 60% loss from it´s highest recorded rate against the baht.

I take up quite many currencies in that comment, as well as I also know it includes aud and many other currencies too. As you can see I also push on that the dollar have not been affected same as most other currencies.

My question to you is how can you make a comment as above? Or did you not read earlier posts.

Please refrain from coming up with another lame excuse or a weak comment that can not be based on any kind of facts. Actually, I am finished with you in this thread, because I know it just comes something more that is just ripped out of context.

3 hours ago, fourpack said:

Really who cares currencies ebb and flow as they have always done.

Get over it.

I care. Paid in GBP and live in Thailand so a pay cut every month. Where's the pound just now? Ebbing or flowing? Will it flow back to 90 baht? 70? 55? 45? Of course it won't. There will be tiny fluctuations in the "GREAT" British pound's long term slide to oblivion. A <deleted> currency from a <deleted> country.

By the way it's 36.65 baht today <deleted>!

• Like 2

The way I see it tourists retirees etc will stay away in droves as well as making it difficult for falang to stay in thailand no one will want to come to thailand, except for Chinese Indians and other nationalitys which come over on package tours and do nothing for the economy, Thailand will crash in a big way like what happened in the mid 90s the bhat will go back to its former glory and be awesome to come back 

47 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Actually, I am finished with you in this thread, because I know it just comes something more that is just ripped out of context.

I couldn't be happier to hear the news. However, the only one ripping things out of context is you. First off, you select only half my quote, changing the meaning to imply that it's not a problem regarding the strong baht.

Secondly, my post (#29) was not even replying to you, it was correcting wrong information posted by someone else about the percentage loss in the pound, as well as pointing out that the strong baht was causing many problems locally in Asia too. This is factually true, so I've no idea what you're blathering on about in taking issue with it. 

And finally, in this most recent reply you deflect on to a completely different comment you made elsewhere in the thread, irrelevant to the point I was making. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, dode57k said:

I care. Paid in GBP and live in Thailand so a pay cut every month. Where's the pound just now? Ebbing or flowing? Will it flow back to 90 baht? 70? 55? 45? Of course it won't. There will be tiny fluctuations in the "GREAT" British pound's long term slide to oblivion. A <deleted> currency from a <deleted> country.

By the way it's 36.65 baht today <deleted>!

I care.  Half my income has disappeared.

I have Thai people who depend on me and I am scared I will have to let them down badly.

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I just know if i transfer over 400,000 baht from the uk for my marriage visa - the pound will suddenly boom and the baht drop through the floor ! 

I'm afraid your conjecture/wishful thinking/hesitancy will cost you money

Edited by dode57k