Thailand based blogger Richard Barrow reveals difficulties in renewing extension of stay

rooster59

18 hours ago, drbeach said:

Johnathan reports what he is told to report. He is biased as is his employer. Only people who have no ability to think critically and believe whatever the news tells them say otherwise. I'm pretty sure you'll find out quickly who Johnathan supports, it's the red shirts and Thaksin.

Also, I'm not saying everything he reports is wrong. He's right in some cases. However, you need to be able to read between the lines and not take every word someone says as Gospel.

I agree that both Thailand and Cambodia (the latter in particular) are trying to censor voices they don't want heard and Head was affected by this. This is not a good sign, but as long as Thailand is not censoring ALL voices and throwing them in jail, then things are not as bad as some people make them out to be. Cambodia's situation is far worse, local journalists who formerly worked for VOA and other western funded media outlets are being imprisoned now. Hun Sen doesn't care, because he has already sold himself out to the Chinese and wants to implement Chinese style censorship. Hun Sen absolutely hates the west - which could mean potential trouble for western expats and tourists in that country.

At least Thailand hasn't descended down to that level. Head still being here proves this.

Maybe we should ask ourselves if Heads reporting is so genuine and accurate why has he had many troubles in the past and why was a young student imprisoned for two and a half years for copying one of his reports.

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So he got it BUT in his feed he said...

"...... I must say a big thanks to all those people in high places who made a call on my behalf. And also the deputy chief of Immigration who called me on Saturday to say he would personally look into my case..."

But WE don't get that kind of service, because we are the unwashed masses.

On 8/10/2019 at 1:47 PM, alan grice said:

Just because Imegrants can shout their traps of in Ferangland i say good on yer Thailand for getting uperty with financial refugees, begpackers and the Go Fund Me lot. Try working a lifetime , having money and retiring . No problems at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I tell ya, these people today with their fancy opinions of their own and determination to have some sort of say in their own future.  It makes my blood boil, it does!

Shouldn't you be standing on your porch in a bathrobe and black socks shaking your fist and shouting at those damn kids to get off your lawn?

P.S.  Seriously, though f#$k begpackers.

52 minutes ago, MRToMRT said:

"...... I must say a big thanks to all those people in high places who made a call on my behalf. And also the deputy chief of Immigration who called me on Saturday to say he would personally look into my case..."

It's good news but if he has issues with all his fame and connections what about most of us?  The Deputy IO will phone us?

3 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

It's good news but if he has issues with all his fame and connections what about most of us?  The Deputy IO will phone us?

The question you should ask is, who was messing with his extension and why? 

On 8/10/2019 at 9:34 AM, moe666 said:

There we go with the old Thai apologist moniker. Retoric like this is why I will not sign no matter how important, there is always a few who try to intimadate those who have a different mind set or see things different.

Who the "deleted" do some of you people think you are? Apologism or no, you are a GUEST in this country. And unless you are a serious (as in big time) investor (in which case you'd probably be treated a LOT better), you don't contribute nearly as much to the country's economy as you'd like to think. It angers me, when people come to my country and whine, demand (or "politely request"), draw comparisons with other places, etc. It thus angers me even more, when self entitled, (democracy-, rights-, etc.-)spoiled Westerners, with an overly inflated sense of self importance, move abroad and do the same shit there.

If you move somewhere else, learn the "deleted"-ing language, integrate into society (not saying become native, but don't do things that will upset the people living there) and stick to the rules, which are NOT yours to change. If you don't like it, you always have the option to stop whinging/crying, and to LEAVE.

It is none of your business what the Thai government allegedly does to Thai citizens, nor (even less, FAR less) how they wish to run their immigration and visa issues. IF the majority of Thais really WANT change, it is up to them to apply themselves and maybe even fight for it.

Yes, it is annoying, having to report every 90 days, like a criminal. Yes, it is annoying having to report your whereabouts, every time you go to another province for a weekend or more. Yes, it isn't nice to live under certain non democratic regime (though more and more I find myself less inclined to think "democratically", and think certain places and people - incl. my own - could do with some authoritarianism/totalitarianism). But this is NOT your country, even if you might think of it as "yours" in the sense of it being your "adopted" one.

I am not saying keep your head down and don't rock the boat, or whatever. No one ever should do that, if they feel something is an injustice, and it LEGITIMATELY is. In their OWN country. And I am also not trying to tell you what you can or can't do. Just that maybe you ought to rethink stuff, as what you "feel" is/are your right(s), really isn't/ain't...

2 hours ago, MRToMRT said:

Who are WE - - nobodies of importance and no clout to ruffle any feathers. 

7 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Great human rights there too, no criminals.

Well if one wants human rights, one can go to developed economies, that come at a cost, and avoid places such as Thailand, that are both expensive and lack human rights.

I am not sure what rights you feel long term foreign visitors of Thailand over the age of 50 might have, if any.

5 hours ago, MRToMRT said:

Of course, he has been suxxin them all for decades....

5 hours ago, MRToMRT said:

Severe case of 'big-ing himself up I'd say!

3 hours ago, FarangULong said:

It is none of your business what the Thai government allegedly does to Thai citizens, nor (even less, FAR less) how they wish to run their immigration and visa issues. IF the majority of Thais really WANT change, it is up to them to apply themselves and maybe even fight for it.

That's some nice thinking, guess it's also none of our business that Myanmar is killing Rohyngas, so the west should shut up?

None of our business if China invades HK with tanks, we should just shut up right?

Coward.

4 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

You ARE saying exactly that!

I clearly stated that they shouldn't, if it's any of of their business, i.e. in their own country. I don't just sign petitions, if something bothers me, I travel to other cities and demonstrate also, I am involved in some movements to try and change things, give money to certain causes, etc.

But what is happening in a country where I am a guest, is none of my concern. Whether I happen to have been living there for a while or no. You're no citizen AND not fully integrated? <deleted>.

THAT is what I am saying.

32 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

That's some nice thinking, guess it's also none of our business that Myanmar is killing Rohyngas, so the west should shut up?

None of our business if China invades HK with tanks, we should just shut up right?

Coward.

LOL. Equating genocide to getting arrested for agitating, let alone to having to report every 90 days. Well done, Thomas. *golf clap*

12 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

As if I would publish the persons name on a public website, if you don't believe it up to you, it happened anyway.

Of course it did and the first thing they did was confide in you.

You're not shy about saying Chinese people have bought Thai nationality in public, which is quite a weighty accusation, but oh so coy when asked who. That's completely fragrance free, innit?

On 8/10/2019 at 11:38 AM, rooster59 said:

Richard, who has a large following online where his excellent blog and Twitter page promotes travel destinations throughout Thailand, has recently been a vocal supporter of the campaign calling for TM.30 to be abolished.

There's your explanation.

On 8/10/2019 at 1:17 PM, Tagged said:

Richard put his head on the table when represent calling for TM.30 to be abolished.

Perhaps, after 25 years in country, Richard became complacent and forgot rule #1: Never cause a loss of face for the pencil dicks with the fragile egos.

tm- 30 is great thing to have, I buy that information. it not only away of tracking. Data is valuable because it tells about their audience's interests, allowing them to improve  experiences. can derive value from their tm- 30. If you have high-quality data, you can also sell it to create a more direct economic benefit.

Archived