Due to the Exchange Rates - have you changed your spending habits?

Pilotman

7 minutes ago, Percy P said:

Yes expats are cutting down on what there buy  ,but it you are a UK person your spending twice as much for the same item as you were 10 years ago and the item haven't changed much. 10 years ago I got 78Bhat/£ now 37.4B/£

Don't rub it in please Percy.   LOL

Saying that, I bought land in 2004 @ 70,000 Bht per rai @ 74 Bht to £. Sold it in 2012 for 1.1M per rai @ 47 to the £. You do the maths. I am happy here!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

No spending habits left here looks likely if there is not a drastic change I will be UK bound alone  looking for a job April the 25th is my do or die deadline brought down by Brexit after 20 years away????

With that length of time behind you one would have thought you would have planned for a time like this.

27 minutes ago, FredGallaher said:

I thought the Brits and other Europeans never tipped. I tip what I can afford because of good service.

I never tip but my money goes to where it's needed I've looked after two Thai family's children for the last 20years .Now the children have good jobs.and speak English phonetically .

From a period just a couple of years ago I have about 17% less disposable income.  And yes, it has curtailed both in and out of country holidays.  Electricity and water are still quite reasonable but other expenses seem to have increased.  Sometimes I see the advertising talking about how cheap it is for foreigners to retire in Thailand.  They must be using data  from 5 or more years ago to make these claims.

In the last two years I have lost about Bt10,000 per month in purchasing power.

While I am able to increase my international foreign deposits to make up the shortfall without changing my spending habits in Thailand, it eventually slows my rate of savings in my home country.

• Like 1

What about the wife, invest in a small business.

Yeah, that never goes wrong does it!555.
No training. No experience. No personal investment = No incentive to succeed. Why had the person not done it before, on their own initiative?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, wgdanson said:

How much is your road tax, mine is over 5000 for a Vigo, and 13000 1st class insurance.

So if you have a bump, bye bye car, yes?

I have a 20 year old pickup truck, if I have a bump it just puts another dent in the rusting steel bodywork.

Car tax is 900bht (thought it was 500bht, but that was the insurance).

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I have a 20 year old pickup truck, if I have a bump it just puts another dent in the rusting steel bodywork.

Car tax is 500bht.

Great. And if you hit someone else does the Bht 500 por a bor cover it?

2 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Great. And if you hit someone else does the Bht 500 por a bor cover it?

Why would I care?

It's normally my gf driving it and she doesn't have a driving licence either.

She says "My brother is a police captain, I don't need a driving licence or insurance"

I do admit, I've gone a bit native.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 2

Delayed some capital expenditure and some planned holiday trips. Cut down on some things but still eat out regularly.

Just reset all my budgets with latest exchange rates. Watching things closely but managing at the moment rather than making savage cuts.

• Like 2

Our big costs are education, Health Insurance & Vehicle insurance. The rest is just day to day spending money plus a couple of nights out a week. Haven't consciously reduced our spending but we do stay within our budget we allocate ourselves each month. So at the moment the answer is not specifically.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

What a load of rubbish you talk. Illegal, dangerous, non-caring.

If she was driving with you as a passenger, and killed that kid, should you not be partly responsible for being party to her driving with no insurance, as she doesn't have a licence. Or would the Policeman pay for the kid?

How about if I'm a passenger on a bus, and the driver kills a kid, Should I pay for that too?

Shit happens I can't control, I don't care about what I can't control.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

How about if I'm a passenger on a bus, and the driver kills a kid, Should I pay for that too?

Shit happens I can't control, I don't care about what I can't control.

So you have an out-of-control girlfriend.  LOL

I have ended up just sending more money every month but there is alot of things I just won't buy anymore because they are over priced and I can get cheaper in the uk, now before I buy anything I alway check the price on Amazon first obviously this only applies to stuff I buy because I just want and not because I need it 

• Like 1