Thais borrow early and get trapped in a cycle of debt

webfact

8 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

There is already a law that states the maximum interest allowed is 15% per annum.

Very hard to enforce............so, it isn't.

Actually I have heard of two people reporting loan sharks to the police in my area due to the interest rate being 120% per year !! The problem seems to be intimidation by the loan sharks and the threat of bodily harm if they get to know that they have/will be reported as the police can not readily protect those who reported the loan sharks from the loan shark's thugs.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I think we can all see the signs that Thailand is going to really have it hard soon, and once those borrowers start being laid off as there's nobody to export too and the tourists are not coming or spending that debt is going to be near the 90% mark pretty quickly as the previous years they had reliable income streams

And all Farang Bf and husbands abandon the place, teach these greedy girls a lesson

• Haha 2

Long thread. But as far as I got with it saw nothing on high rates of relationship (marital and non-marital) break-up, thereby high rates of single parenthood and that single parent bearing the whole financial onus of having had the children. Huge creator of debt.

• Like 1

In addition to Thais maxing out their debt, bank deposit protections (designed to protect depositors against the loss of their deposits with financial institutions up to a certain limit) have were cut from 100 million baht in 2008 to 50 million in 2012, to the current 5 million baht protection limit.

But next week, the deposit coverage limit is cut to 1 million baht PER DEPOSITOR, NOT PER ACCOUNT. 

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Tips-and-Insights/Save-and-Invest/Practical-advice-on-deposit-protection

3 minutes ago, kensisaket said:

There is not a "debt" problem in Thailand.  There is however an "unpaid" debt problem.  I am sure credit card debt is viewed the same way personal loan debt is, if I ignore it it will go away.  

im still not convinced that many people think it will go away and never to rear its head again, but more a bury your head in the sand approach

Newsroom-Ostrich-head-in-sand.jpg

Edited by hellohello123
  • Haha 1