Is the closure of your favorite bar or restaurant imminent?

Leaver

6 hours ago, champers said:

Plenty of Italian expats here; they won't be going home anytime soon. Good luck to the business.

And with Italy in lock down, how many Italian tourists should this business expect in the foreseeable future? 

Oh, but the expats will support the business, the same expats Thailand is getting rid of.  ????

As I like the occasional pasta, yes, good luck to the business, but......................................

Edited by Leaver
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

And with Italy in lock down, how many Italian tourists should this business expect in the foreseeable future? 

Oh, but the expats will support the business, the same expats Thailand is getting rid of.  ????

As I like the occasional pasta, yes, good luck to the business, but......................................

It can hardly be called out as bad planning on the owner's part; as someone alluded to in a prior post. It is plain hard luck.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, champers said:

It can hardly be called out as bad planning on the owner's part; as someone alluded to in a prior post. It is plain hard luck.

I agree, very unfortunate timing, but I do question whether the timing was right, pre virus. 

Even without the virus, Pattaya was / is heading into some turbulent economy times.  

2 hours ago, Leaver said:

I agree, very unfortunate timing, but I do question whether the timing was right, pre virus. 

Even without the virus, Pattaya was / is heading into some turbulent economy times.  

Fair enough. I don't know how the land lies in that part of town. Clearly, the owner does and he is risking his own money so I can only wish him well.

56 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Less popular places might as well close now and maybe try again in 6 months, I've said to massage girls they should go home rather than waste time in Pattaya now

The problem with girls going home is its impossible to support mama and papa hanging around mamas and papas house with no job...

1 hour ago, fforest1 said:

The problem with girls going home is its impossible to support mama and papa hanging around mamas and papas house with no job...

No rent to pay living in mama and papa's house, and they can live of the farm. 

32 minutes ago, Leaver said:

No rent to pay living in mama and papa's house, and they can live of the farm. 

You need to update your view on the "farm" it's usually a couple of Rai of land that floods in the rainy season - hopefully - the rest of the year its dry and barren! Not much growing up here in Isan at this time of year unless they have access to water, the vast majority don't have that luxury!

As to living in Mama & Papas house! more like a shack, steaming hot this time of year, sure the girls will stay where they are for as long as possible!

5 hours ago, CGW said:

You need to update your view on the "farm" it's usually a couple of Rai of land that floods in the rainy season - hopefully - the rest of the year its dry and barren! Not much growing up here in Isan at this time of year unless they have access to water, the vast majority don't have that luxury!

As to living in Mama & Papas house! more like a shack, steaming hot this time of year, sure the girls will stay where they are for as long as possible!

You need to update your view on the cost of living in Pattaya.

Rent has to be paid, and they have to eat.  The days of a farang "tipping" or paying a bar fine for that matter, are just about over.  Most of these girls are used to the main money earner being sex, but now there are no customers, but many have debts to banks for cars and land in Issan.

Without such debts, they can live of a handful of rice and killing the odd chicken.  No electricity needed. 

Yes, mama and papa's house is really a shack.  In the past, from the shack they came, only to go abroad to a farang palace.  Nowdays, from the shack they came, and to the shack they are returning. 

I know two girls, one had a legit job, the other was a bar girl, both gone home to Issan.  Just not enough income to make living in Pattaya viable.  

Times are changing. 

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

You need to update your view on the cost of living in Pattaya.

Rent has to be paid, and they have to eat.  The days of a farang "tipping" or paying a bar fine for that matter, are just about over.  Most of these girls are used to the main money earner being sex, but now there are no customers, but many have debts to banks for cars and land in Issan.

Without such debts, they can live of a handful of rice and killing the odd chicken.  No electricity needed. 

Yes, mama and papa's house is really a shack.  In the past, from the shack they came, only to go abroad to a farang palace.  Nowdays, from the shack they came, and to the shack they are returning. 

I know two girls, one had a legit job, the other was a bar girl, both gone home to Issan.  Just not enough income to make living in Pattaya viable.  

Times are changing. 

Yea right......LOL.........Most Thai families don't live in shacks any more....I bet most have smart phones and smart TVs.......Bar girls would not know how to kill a chicken........Your dreaming about past times....

Bar girls are not going home to live no matter how slow it gets...No way no how.....Never going to happen....EVER.....

There is a meeting planned for Monday March 16, to discuss the option to close all bars in Thailand because of CV19.

Bars in parts of Germany have already been closed, like in Berlin and Cologne

Edited by Banana7

4 hours ago, Banana7 said:

There is a meeting planned for Monday March 16, to discuss the option to close all bars in Thailand because of CV19.

Bars in parts of Germany have already been closed, like in Berlin and Cologne

I was thinking Pattaya would be really quiet by the end of this month when the Russians depart and there is no Songkran boost, but if they actually did that it would most definately resemble a ghost town. There would be toilet rolls on the supermarket shelves but I think there'd be a run on beer!! 

7 hours ago, Banana7 said:

Can't make up my mind to go panic buying today, or go get <deleted>.

Still no cases of coronavirus in Pattaya, right?

16 hours ago, fforest1 said:

Yea right......LOL.........Most Thai families don't live in shacks any more....I bet most have smart phones and smart TVs.......Bar girls would not know how to kill a chicken........Your dreaming about past times....

Bar girls are not going home to live no matter how slow it gets...No way no how.....Never going to happen....EVER.....

I remember the old wooden frame with tin roof shacks.  Now, many live in a square brick and tin "shack" with rising damp and mold up the walls.  To me, these are still shacks.

Do you think the majority of bar girls come from the cities in Issan?  They don't.  They come from the rural villages, and know how to slaughter animals and fish, and prepare to them to eat.  

If bar girls don't go home "no matter how slow it gets" perhaps you can tell me why many bar girls go home in the low season.  They go home to minimize their expenses during the low season when it's not worth it for them to be in Pattaya. 

There has been no real high season the year, and that trend may continue.  What if it's low season all year round here from now on?  There's no chance for the older or plumb ones, and the bar can't afford to carry them anymore.  They will go home and live off the land and hope for better times and their return to Pattaya.  

19 hours ago, Banana7 said:

Meeting was today, and its a no, to the idea of closing bars etc. (for the moment anyway)

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

Meeting was today, and its a no, to the idea of closing bars etc. (for the moment anyway)

Many of the bigger places may close anyway, just to minimize expenses.  Eg. salaries, electric, water etc. 

On 3/15/2020 at 11:05 AM, kinyara said:

I was thinking Pattaya would be really quiet by the end of this month when the Russians depart and there is no Songkran boost, but if they actually did that it would most definately resemble a ghost town. There would be toilet rolls on the supermarket shelves but I think there'd be a run on beer!! 

Would be interesting to see if they raise the prices on all things farang, including alcohol, to cash in. 

Yes, it's imminent: https://thepattayanews.com/2020/03/17/pattaya-to-close-all-entertainment-venues-such-as-bars-nightclubs-and-massage-shops-until-the-end-of-the-month/

Pattaya to close all entertainment venues, such as bars, nightclubs and massage shops until the end of the month

It's the end of the world folks. Get your beers while stock lasts.

5 hours ago, Leaver said:

Would be interesting to see if they raise the prices on all things farang, including alcohol, to cash in. 

Why would you think that? with all the competition in Pattaya, be kinda of ridiculous?

If you going to tell me Thai's always do this and the rest of the "fallacies" that get thrown about please back up with some facts ????