Is the closure of your favorite bar or restaurant imminent?

Leaver

8 hours ago, CGW said:

Why would you think that? with all the competition in Pattaya, be kinda of ridiculous?

If you going to tell me Thai's always do this and the rest of the "fallacies" that get thrown about please back up with some facts ???? 

Prices went up during the big floods. 

Availability is being effected by the virus.  Domestic demand is increasing in western countries due to panic buying.  This may lead to a shortage for export. 

As for alcohol, if all the bars are shut, it will be interesting to see if 7/11's and supermarkets raise their prices on on, perhaps because the manufacturer raises the prices, because they are selling less. 

It's not a fallacy.  It does happen here. 

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Leaver said:

When I started this thread, who was to know that due to today's announcement, all bars will be closed for 2 weeks.

I suppose we now get a chance to experience not only what it would be like if our favorite bar was to close, but also our second, third, and forth favorite bar. 

I will be surprised if the closure is for only 2 weeks.   

I am guessing it will be one year plus .Not that i care as i am not there .

Edited by anto

3 hours ago, anto said:

I am guessing it will be one year plus .Not that i care as i am not there .

I'm thinking 1 month to 6 weeks, but leaning more towards 1 month.  For sure, 2 weeks does nothing to stop, or slow the virus spread. 

On 3/10/2020 at 9:44 AM, fforest1 said:

I have pounded the keyboard many a time trying to bring this empty Indian restaurant anomaly to people's attention....This situation could not exist if someone ??? was not paying the bills every month for all these empty Indian restaurants......

But not many people here seemed very interested in the subject so I quit posting about it...

But this does not change the fact that there are 100s and 100s of all but empty Indian restaurants in Pattaya.....And They have been open for many years too.... 

I would guess 99% of the few customers they have are Indians....Farangs mostly refuse to pay their expensive prices (and  the Thais/Chinese/Japanese/Koreans refuse to eat there at all)......I don't think the Indians on a tight budget can afford to eat there either........So these 100s and 100s of Indian restaurants are all depending on the middle class Indians almost exclusively to cover the rent, water, electric, gas, food stock, equipment repairs/purchases, taxes, employee salaries , employee visas... etc etc etc

Its just simply impossible.......Yet there they are open year after year....  

Indian restaurant update.....It looks to me over half Pattayas Indian restaurants now have now shut the doors and turned off the lights.......Whether they fully go out of business remains to be seen...

22 hours ago, fforest1 said:

Indian restaurant update.....It looks to me over half Pattayas Indian restaurants now have now shut the doors and turned off the lights.......Whether they fully go out of business remains to be seen...

The same can be asked of many establishments here. 

A high season devoid of customers, now the virus. 

Recently, it was difficult to even give away a bar here, let alone sell one. 

There will be many just close the doors and walk away.

On 3/13/2020 at 10:22 AM, Guderian said:

Returning to the reopening of the Punch & Judy I mentioned a few days ago, it's got a new sign outside that says it's an "Italian Risto Pub". Unlucky timing with the virus outbreak to be opening an Italian venue. It's been rebranded as "Pulcinella" but they're keeping the Punch & Judy name as well, presumably to make former customers feel at home.

I don't think it's open yet, my handyman tells me they've got big problems with a leaking water supply, and they're currently digging up the road at the back of the place.

IMG20200311195521.thumb.jpg.e997c9b8906a1f74aef985e7e4fbfe5d.jpg

IMG20200311195530.thumb.jpg.f7ce7391a31da6ebaa8149836f8157b4.jpg

How is this restaurant doing?.... 

Why would anyone in their right mind buy, open a business in Pattaya?

The demographic of Pattaya has been changing for a few years now.

Chinese and Indians increasing but shorter high season and longer low season.

Are people completely devoid of any business sense or commercial background?

Social media apps has made hook ups easier and avoids barfines etc.

There will always be a few businesses that will survive but its getting few and far between.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, WillyPlatt said:

Why would anyone in their right mind buy, open a business in Pattaya?

The demographic of Pattaya has been changing for a few years now.

Chinese and Indians increasing but shorter high season and longer low season.

Are people completely devoid of any business sense or commercial background?

Social media apps has made hook ups easier and avoids barfines etc.

There will always be a few businesses that will survive but its getting few and far between.

Like their women, "My business is different."  ????

On 3/20/2020 at 6:19 PM, fforest1 said:

Probably have the same number of customers as they had before.

• Haha 1

On 3/23/2020 at 2:53 AM, champers said:

Happening in Bangkok. Will stop Bangkokians coming here.

People from around the world have stopped coming here, and we have the closure order, which really should be extended, and probably will be.

It will be interesting to see what Thai landlords do over the next 3 to 6 moths, possibly longer.   

9 hours ago, topt said:

Thanks. I understood that it has been for sale for a long time but the reduced level of the price is a surprise.

For what may appear to be a busy area, LK Metro and Soi Baukaew, (pre virus) there are actually many places for sale, with significantly reduced prices. 

I'm wondering if bars, restaurants and guesthouses will just throw in the towel and stop paying rent.

Market Cafe on Soi New Plaza has closed for the foreseeable future. Nice Brit food in there, also very popular, so the good and bad places are effected

Edited by scubascuba3

7 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I'm wondering if bars, restaurants and guesthouses will just throw in the towel and stop paying rent.

Market Cafe on Soi New Plaza has closed for the foreseeable future. Nice Brit food in there, also very popular, so the good and bad places are effected

Pattaya was changing quite rapidly for westerners. The virus will really cause some big changes to the hospitality industry here now.

Even the big and traditionally busy places, the ones many thought would survive this high season's downturn, may not be able to survive, but who knows, maybe the virus will cause a market correction in the rents that greedy Thai landlords demand, and give most bars a chance to continue trading post virus. 

20 hours ago, chrisandsu said:

Actually looks like a sensible price ... looking at the same page 27 million baht for an 8 room freehold bar ???? 

For 27 million, you can buy a super business , restaurant, bar, etc in the South of France in a great location, earning you lots of euros !! 
Not only S of France of course, loads of great places with lovely weather , where you can actually earn money !!!

On 2/22/2020 at 7:46 AM, Leaver said:

Probably because for what you pay for a meal and a beer in a cheap charlies restaurant in Pattaya, actually gets you a meal and a beer in a nice restaurant in Vietnam. 

Same amount of money spent, but a nicer meal served in a nicer environment.

Price is what you pay

Value is what you get

its priceless to sit beside someone you can actually carry on an intelligent conversation with 

some oneerespectable

not some lowlifes covered in tattoos 

looking for a fight

served by someone who is happy to have me there

1 hour ago, Ron jeremy said:

Price is what you pay

Value is what you get

its priceless to sit beside someone you can actually carry on an intelligent conversation with 

some oneerespectable

not some lowlifes covered in tattoos 

looking for a fight

served by someone who is happy to have me there

Pattaya, indeed Thailand, has out priced itself in the South East Asia tourism market, with some of the highest prices in the region, Singapore aside, yet, for those higher prices, you still get the poor infrastructure. 

I mean, seriously, in 2020 you still can not get a metered taxi in Pattaya. 

• Like 1